Silversea food

cdn.cruiser

Is the food equivalent on all silversea ships? Or is it dependant on the chef.

friends of ours were on the whisper last fall before drydock and felt the food wasn’t as good

as it used to be. In fact they were disappointed in the food this last cruise after sailing with SS numerous times.

i realize different ships have different restaurants but the quality should be the same. We are travelling

on the Muse this fall. Do I have to worry about the chef on the ship as to the quality of the food.

all the pics of food on their website look terrific. We have sailed with Oceania a few times, I would hope

the food is equivalent or better. I know comments on food are subjective but when my friends thought 

the food had gone down I was concerned. We will still go on the cruise to find out for ourselves but I was wondering

if the food on the Muse and the Whisper would be comparable.

thank you for your comments.

I have sailed with Silversea twice and loved the food.  As for "being worried", you said it yourself, food is subjective....in my opinion, VERY subjective.  What I love, someone else may think it is awful....how I enjoy something cooked, someone else may think it is not good that way.  Sorry your friends were disappointed.

I would not be worried....I have sailed Whisper and Spirit so I can't give you first hand info on MUSE but again, I felt like the food on both of my sailings was terrific:classic_smile:.

• Like 1

We were on the Whisper when it was heading to drydock. Don't take a cruise just before drydock because they don't want leftovers. They were running low on quite a few things and had to pick up a little on the way. Plus there are workers hiding (?)

in many nooks & cranny's. The menu is determined by a central HQ with a tight deviation.

Seems like a good moment to share today's Cooking Demonstration by Executive Chef Anne-Marie Cornelius onboard the Muse heading from Vancouver to Ketchikan.   The menu was Miso and Carmel Glazed Alaskan Salmon with Mango, Cucumber & Green Apple Slaw, Lobster with Miso Chili Butter and Easy Chill Lime Ice Cream. During the demo small plates of the salmon and ice cream were passed out for all to enjoy.  Yummy!

Chef Anne-Marie

P6180113.thumb.jpg.e229717e56434dbc6b72afe6e97afa7a.jpg

631462425_tATwlYNSqOZEf2q1vLK6A_thumb_8f3.thumb.jpg.33633f6f9d1deace69da1a49dfaae4a3.jpg1111724157_px80dulnQpK2UAhSK37MQ_thumb_8e9.thumb.jpg.b33c2873e9af8773552490f42fb0f6fd.jpgoil3lRxjRimr0Ave4ajmog_thumb_8e8.thumb.jpg.dd17816be0d8b692875445bb4494f346.jpg

• Like 4

We disembarked the Wind 3 weeks ago and the food was the best of our 19 SS cruises.Second best was on the Muse in February.

Certainly in the past there have been differences depending who was the chef and this should continue.however the quality and range of the ingredients has improved so Vive La Difference!

• Like 1

I don't think the executive chef makes much difference - let's face it, most of the food comes in frozen from containers that serve the entire fleet.  Much of it is pre-prepared.  It's really a form of mass-catering to a relatively high level.  Personally I think the catering is the weakest aspect of Silversea compared to its rivals, Regent and Seabourn, and that's because I seriously dislike that stupid 'hot rocks' grill thing and I also deeply resent having to pay extra for the 'smart' restaurant.   

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

... I seriously dislike that stupid 'hot rocks' grill thing... 

So, I'm not alone. 

They will, however, cook it for you. OH loves the Grill so I get forced along a couple of times each trip. I would say, however, that the quality of the meats is consistently outstanding. 

• Like 3

Many variables will affect the perceived quality of the food – not least the subjective taste of the guest.   One that has not yet been mentioned is the challenge of provisioning cruise ships that are traveling all over the world. Some desired ingredients may not be readily available.   A near-nightmare situation that happens to nearly all cruise lines is when one or more containers fails to arrive as scheduled.  Realistically, the ship cannot simply hang around the port for several days awaiting the tardy container’s arrival 

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I don't think the executive chef makes much difference - let's face it, most of the food comes in frozen from containers that serve the entire fleet.  Much of it is pre-prepared.  It's really a form of mass-catering to a relatively high level.  Personally I think the catering is the weakest aspect of Silversea compared to its rivals, Regent and Seabourn, and that's because I seriously dislike that stupid 'hot rocks' grill thing and I also deeply resent having to pay extra for the 'smart' restaurant.   

You have just proven my point, your opinion is totally different than mine...I seriously think the "hot rocks grill thing" is fun and the food very good.  Had a wonderful filet and enjoyed the venue very much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Isn't it good we can all have different opinions?  I think I disagree, from my experience on around 20 Silversea Cruises including WC2019, with most of your comments here. My experience has been totally different.

• Like 2

Actually most things are not pre-prepared or frozen in containers onboard Silversea.  I have toured the kitchen on Spirit. The menus are set and are uniform throughout the fleet (though that may be changing soon with the new SALT concept), but the individual head chef on board is given some leeway.  Quality of the food is definitely chef dependent with the food onboard Cloud on our recent cruise being the best we have ever had on Silversea.

• Like 1

We just returned from an 11 night cruise on the Spirit where we enjoyed the dining immensely.

This was our 3rd Silversea cruise but we had not returned in 10 years because the dining was not up to par on the previous journeys. We switched to Seabourn and took 5 cruises where the food was good to 

not so good.

we felt that our recent experience on the Spirit was the best so far and the extra fare for La Dame, Seishin and Indochine worth the additional cost.

We were on the Muse last spring, traveling with a couple who have several Oceania cruises under their belt. This was their first Silversea cruise. They said the food specifically and the cruise in general, was better than Oceania. They didn’t even hesitate to say that.  

• Thanks 1

Until our most recent cruise, I was clearly in the camp of the food on Oceania and Regent being significantly better.  On the recent cruise, Silversea had definitely moved up to almost as good.  And some things, like really nice loose leaf tea at teatime, they do better.  To me, Oceania and Regent are about the same food wise, with a lot of the dishes being identical.

8 hours ago, turnip eater said:

Excuse me for butting in....on Muse now. Dined in Indochine yesterday evening.........no charge!

Hi, you are not butting in......you are on a SS ship and this is information is more than welcome:classic_smile:

We were on the Cloud for 30 days a couple months ago. I know people's opinion on food differs. But someone blogged how our food was awful, almost nothing edible. That was simply a lie. My wife and I are quick to criticize when criticism is warranted. But many of our meals were quite good. A few were wonderful. I had a steak many times and it was very good each time. Most passengers we talked to were pleased or very pleased. Some said they thought several dishes could have been better. That's valid commentary. We found  several of the sandwiches not to our liking. The pizza was hardly our favorite. Not everyone will like every dish all the time. But the food inedible? That's laughable. LittleRedJohn

We have been 4 times on SilverSea (Wind, Cloud Explorer, Muse and Shadow) and each voyage we had excellent food and quality. This year we went back on Oceania, still very good food, no complains... but not as good as SilverSea. The personalized service on SilverSea makes the difference. Do you have any remarks, wishes,... they make time for you, they make your plate the way you enjoy it the most.

You can check out our movie on board the Muse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCpjRk8JnY   . One person was also not happy with the food (see comment under the video) so it's possible it goes wrong sometimes... . But if something goes wrong, discuss this at the moment so they can fix it for you immediatly.