Please help-river cruise-husband walks with rollator

pattycat1

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year and want to go on a Danube River cruise. Two years ago he was diagnosed with a rare neuro muscular disease (IBM). He walks with a cane or rollator depending on where he is. His main issue is muscle weakness-which means he is prone to falls. He walks safely with his rollator which is lightweight and foldable. Otherwise he is in good health.

We we are trying to decide if he can safely go on this cruise. Our main concern is he struggles with steep steps (motor coach for excursions). We are looking at  Scenic and will look for a cabin on a deck with an elevator but no elevator to the sun deck. We can’t determine if we will be able to walk off the ship at any of the ports and walk around or if there will be a long walk or a bus will be needed. Also how often will we need to be on the top deck?

I am in good health and can help assist him. 

If you have experience with mobility limitations and have been on a river cruise would you please share your experience with me? Is one river cruise line more ideal than others for passengers with limited mobility? Should we do it??

Thanks for your help.

We've done 7 cruises on AmaWaterways, including my 80+ year-old mother. She uses a cane, and can generally get around fine, but stairs and hills can cause challenges. In our experience, Ama and its tour guides have always proactively offered a helping hand on and off buses, and has even provided shuttle buses or taxis for passengers to get up certain hills. I imagine Scenic does the same.

One other thing to keep in mind is that ships sometimes "raft," or dock side by side in some ports. In some cases, the ships line up and, if you're on the outside ship, you walk directly through the other ship and onto the pier or dock. But in other cases, you have to walk up to the sun deck, and then over to the sun deck of the other ship, and then down to the lobby of the other ship and then onto the pier. So that can be challenging. Ama's new ship, AmaMagna, however, has an elevator that reaches the sun deck, and that was a huge help for mother on our cruise last month.

Besides the rafting issue also keep in mind  that most of the streets in Europe are cobblestones. You might have to research if there are special wheels you need.  There is no ADA for assessable restrooms if this is a concern. 

We used Amawaterways on the Danube and saw they made some generous accommodations for passengers. 

I think your husband will struggle, and may find he is limited in what he can see and do.  

There will be be issues with steps.  Apart from the rafting problems mentioned already (which can involve climbing and descending a full flight of steps), the coaches for day trips will involve 3-4 steps to enter and leave.    Unless there is a “slow walkers” group, the pace of the tours can be fairly brisk, often uphill, and can involve 2-3 hours of walking around.  

You will also have to check each excursion, as many involve steps in museums, churches or abbeys, or cobblestones.   We even encountered unexpected steps in narrow alleys or when approaching lookouts.  

Sometimes the ships berth a distance out of town, so there is not much to do if you can’t go on the excursion.  

If if you do go, I would recommend a French balcony or balcony room for better views if the sun deck is too difficult (or closed).   

On the issue of rafting: this can be rather awkward in Vienna. There are essentially two docking locations, the city and the village Nussdorf. In Nussdorf there is little to see, the embankment is alright for going for a walk. You could be third in row, like we did. This could mean walking over the sundeck, see above. You might have a shuttle into town which would be safer for your husband than the trams. I would contact the cruise line to determine where their ships dock.

Restrooms: there is a kind of "ADA" in that you will find public toilets designed for the disabled in larger places. If you have a European disability pass - I do not know what it is called - you can apply for a key to these. Many of these toilets are locked and the key not available to the general public. Standard toilets have no "ADA".

notamermaid

Another factor to take into count is the cobbled streets.  We had a gentleman on our cruise who could walk, but not far, and used a wheelchair on land.  My husband pushed him around  (his wife could, but DH is that kind of guy....) most places and said that the cobbles made it very hard.  I know one town they went to which we didn't know they were going to see (so we ended up in a different group), his wife had a very hard time.  The walker may be very difficult to use on the cobbles.

I know you're looking forward to this trip, but I think you may find it more difficult than you imagine.  The cobblestones in Europe are HUGE.  They're difficult to walk on, let alone push a grown man in a wheel chair.  Not only are there steps, in many cases they are hand hewn uneven steps, which can throw anyone off balance.  For someone prone to falling, they would present an even bigger challenge.  

Roz

• Like 2

river cruises are almost by definition more "strenuous" than ocean cruises once docked.  River cruises dock close to or in town, so pax can walk and explore.  There are excursions, but they usually involve walking around a town square or path with uneven ground in a 1,000 year old city.  

With ocean cruises, many pax don't even get off the ship,  That would not be true on river.  There are some ships reviews of river pax using the terms "forced march" during an excursion.  I don't think that is true, but the pace is generally constant and not many times built in for rest periods  

16 hours ago, pattycat1 said:

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year and want to go on a Danube River cruise. Two years ago he was diagnosed with a rare neuro muscular disease (IBM). He walks with a cane or rollator depending on where he is. His main issue is muscle weakness-which means he is prone to falls. He walks safely with his rollator which is lightweight and foldable. Otherwise he is in good health.

We we are trying to decide if he can safely go on this cruise. Our main concern is he struggles with steep steps (motor coach for excursions). We are looking at  Scenic and will look for a cabin on a deck with an elevator but no elevator to the sun deck. We can’t determine if we will be able to walk off the ship at any of the ports and walk around or if there will be a long walk or a bus will be needed. Also how often will we need to be on the top deck?

I am in good health and can help assist him. 

If you have experience with mobility limitations and have been on a river cruise would you please share your experience with me? Is one river cruise line more ideal than others for passengers with limited mobility? Should we do it??

Thanks for your help.

I would expand your search to other lines as well. We have sailed with Uniworld, and on two occasions, have had mobility impaired passengers on board. Last year, on our Paris-Normandy cruise, the husband stayed onboard, and the wife would go ashore and see the sights. In Italy, the gentleman was elderly and suffered from dementia, but the staff was very helpful in assisting him when he did want to go ashore.

Uniworld offers a "rising chair" device from the main deck to the top deck, so your husband would still be able to access the sundeck. The Danube is a beautiful river, and most of the stops, from memory, seem to be relatively level. (We only sailed from Vienna to Passau, so can't comment on any additional ports beyond that.)  We had a short motorcoach ride in Melk, but that was the only one that was mandatory (and the gentle walker group was taken to the Abbey in a smaller mini van type vehicle)  In Vienna, you could ask for a private transfer into town to meet the tour. Most lines will travel to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov from either Linz or Passau. However, staying in either of those towns, or staying on board if the ship sails are perfectly good alternatives. 

Are you working with a travel agent? They could act as a valuable intermediary for you, and if they are experienced river cruisers themselves, could offer advice re: the various lines.

Robin

• Like 1

Many years ago, my Dad (some mobility issues) and I went on a Viking River Cruise on the Danube.  At that time, Dad relied on a cane.  On that particular cruise, one woman relied on a wheelchair or rollator.  Another woman used a rollator or cane.  Naturally, these two women and my Dad talked a lot about the travails of travel when you have mobility issues.  The original transfers from the plane to the pre-night hotel (booked as part of the Viking cruise) and then the hotel to the boat were pretty much ignored by the group that handled things for Viking.  We all pitched in to help the women.  Once onboard, the Cruise Director with Viking was excellent.  He arranged for various pick-up/drop-off points so that my Dad and the two women saw as much as possible.  He also advised all of us as to which tours were impossible.  The worst part of the trip was when the Port Agent would force the ship to move from the original berth.  We got to the point that we would go back to the original berth and then set up "search parties" to find the ship and then report back to the group.  We knew the cane/rollator people could not walk that far and wanted to make the trip as short as possible for them.

Okay! You have heard the worst of it. Now you can decide what you have to do to make this work for you. Maybe you will opt for a shorter cruise with extra nights on both ends. Maybe you will decide that you will do better hiring private guides at some or all of the stops. In any case, you know your limitations best and how to work around them.

Google maps will help you walk around each port virtually and see what the terrain is really like. Talk with the cruise line and see what they have to say. Be prepared to talk with a couple of cruise lines if you have to. Consider a different itinerary if would make the going easier. Whatever it takes.

Personally, I vote go for it. Even if neither of you ever leave the ship, you will be together doing something that you have decided you want to do together.

• Like 2

We recently completed the Milan to Venice cruise with Uniworld. There was a lady on the cruise who used an electric scooter. She was traveling with her daughter and I couldn't believe how accommodating the crew was. They carried the scooter on and off the boat and in some cases carried her on and off. She used the scooter on board and there was an elevator on the ship which she utilized to travel between floors.  

It would be impossible to do a river cruise using a rollator on Crystal's boats if rafting is involved. Their boat have an elevator between decks 2 and 3 but it does not go to the top deck. Often we had to go up to the top deck, walk across to another river boat and then go down steps to get off. The steps to the top deck are steep and narrow. I could barely do it with my bad knees.

• Like 1

At least with Viking, from reading the website, it sounds like a certain level of mobility is expected.  I suspect that reports of the crew bending over backward, carrying the scooter, (actually carrying the person, according to a poster!) may be a case of the crew feeling bad for the person, and trying to help a fellow human being.  Goes along with the "book" on Viking, that difficulties may occur with the office staff stateside--once on the ship, passengers are treated like royalty.

Have a chat with the guys at Scenic a couple of years ago on our cruise with them one of our compatriots used a mobility chair, absolutely no problem with the crew they helped when required, the chair was charged in reception(he could walk short distances). He with his wife’s help made it to the organ recital at the top of Viviers no mean feat I can assure you. Lovely guy nothing stopped him. My advice discuss. CA

Based on my recent experience on the Danube, I would advise against taking the cruise if you need anything more than a cane, but you can get into a bus without help. We were rafted at all docks except one. Rafting means that you probably have no view from your cabin. The Amadeus Queen had no elevator, so you needed to be fit enough to reach the top deck on stairs. 

The towns along the Danube are old with often rough cobblestones. There are no laws that require accessibility like in the US.

In my opinion, an Ocean cruise is a much better choice. Ocean ships are larger and offer elevators, more space and entertainment. You will always have a view from your cabin. 

• Like 3

I just returned from a Viking Hermod Danube cruise. I, too. use a rollator or cane. I also have weak leg muscles and have problems with stairs and hills. There was absolutly no rolling of the ship so I was able to use my cane on board. I did not see any motorized wheelchairs. You would have to check with Viking about that. There is an elevator between decks 2 and 3 but it does not go up to the sundeck. A small staircase takes you there. The problem was on excursions. Viking still offers the "gentle walkers" tours. These are led by a guide who walks slowly and avoids stairs and hills when possible. The big problem is the cobblestone streets. I could not use my rollator because the wheels would have been destroyed. I had to use my cane on all excursions. Fortunately, I had two daughters with me and they supported me when necessary. Because the ships are so much smaller than the ocean liners it is very easy to get around. It was a wonderful cruise and I enjoyed what I could and stayed on board when I felt it would be too much for me to go ashore. We did have to raft once but it was very easy  to do. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wags said:

...We did have to raft once but it was very easy  to do....

I’m glad you had a successful river cruise. It can be done despite mobility issues with proper planning, expectations and also luck. Traversing from one boat to the next is easy IF the decks are at the same level. All Viking longboats have decks at the same height above water, and some other boats have comparable deck height above water. BUT there are also a number of boats whose deck height above water may be offset by a meter or so; if you are rafted outside a boat with differing deck height getting ashore will require going up the generally steep stairs to the sun deck, then crossing to the next boat on a narrow sloping ramp, and then coming back down the stairs from the sun deck. This is not “very easy” even for people with no mobility issues. 

11 hours ago, wags said:

We did have to raft once but it was very easy  to do. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. 

Thank you for your first hand account.

Not trying to put you on the spot but in the interest of learning more, here is a question for you. Sometimes the ships raft Deck 2 lobby to Deck 2, which makes it very easy to pass from ship to ship. Other times, you have to go up to the sundeck to cross from ship to ship. Because you said it was easy, I am assuming that you went from lobby to lobby. However, it you had to go from ship to ship from the sun deck, would you have been able to do it?

(Sorry, Thom did not read your comments before posting this).

Edited by Peregrina651

I think this is a situation where Viking has an advantage. Viking ships frequently raft with other Viking ships (when rafting is necessary) so it is easy to walk from one lobby to the next. Other lines don’t necessarily line up as well. 

Congrats on 30 years!

We are just back from a 2 week cruise along the Danube and Rhine.  I’m not sure I’d try those rivers with mobility issues as previously stated.  Large cobblestones were quite hard to walk on and we have no issues.  Thinking back....there were steps down to the ship in Budapest, Vienna was flat as was Kinderdijk and Amsterdam.  The stops in Germany were almost all cobblestone with some brick except in Cologne and Koblez which once you got off were flat.  Also at some of the ports the ramp was quite steep either up or down.

Viking does have a gentle walkers group but you still need to be able to climb the steps into the bus. And at times we were rafted with other lines which meant a step up and down and then again up and down.

Or go but but realize that you may be spending more time on the river then in ports.  Some of the scenery is just beautiful.  Maybe look at the new Amawaterways double wide boat.  It might give you options of things to do while others are off on excursions.  A good TA that specializes in river cruises may be helpful.  If this is something you really want to do research as much as you can before you decide.

Good luck and best wishes!