Best Lobster in Portland or Newport near port?

Carol28

We would enjoy a lobster lunch (not a lobster roll) while we are in Portland, Maine and/or Newport, Connecticut. Anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant within walking distance of either port? 

12 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We would enjoy a lobster lunch (not a lobster roll) while we are in Portland, Maine and/or Newport, Connecticut. Anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant within walking distance of either port? 

Casual would be High Roller, Becky's Diner, or Portland Lobster.  More upscale would be Boone's or Eventide.  Everything in downtown Portland is within walking distance of the pier.

• Thanks 1

In Newport, RI you can get lobster in almost all of the restaurants and bars on Thames Street. [1+ blocks from the docks]  Downtown Newport is VERY walkable.  

Our favorite was the Newport Lobster Shack.  It is a small building on Long Wharf.  You can get lobster to go.  . . . Our favorite was lobster balls. It is owned by the Newport Fisherman's Coop.  Prices were good. 

There are several restaurants on the various wharfs in Newport.  . . . but, you will pay for the view in those restaurants.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

On 6/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, Carol28 said:

I just got back from a cruise today that went to Portland.  I got a full lobster at Luke’s Lobster.  I think it came with fries but I swapped them out for a salad.  This is a picture of my meal.  Lots of locals there and it sits at the end of a pier right on the water with great views.  It was about an eight minutes walk from the dock.

D9A4D409-8018-4983-A277-17DBF9DE4AF7.jpeg

I agree with Dragon Of The Seas. We love the Newport Lobster Shack. It is a very close to the tender drop off in Perotti Park, a short block down to the corner of Long Wharf and Washington Street, on the State Pier 9. It is a food truck with picnic tables, etc right on the harbor. I love the lobster salad, a fresh green salad and strawberry balsamic dressing with fresh lobster meat. My husband loves the lobster roll (bigger and cheaper than other places and we both love the lobster bites. They have dinners too.

For a more upscale experience, you could go to 22 Bowens or The Mooring.