Hawaii to Vancover and Weather for Sea Days

scuddles

Trying to book my "Hot Seat Offer" and was looking at the HI to Vancouver April 10th, 2020. We are actually moving to Maui the end of the year but wanted to make a spring trip back to the Pacific NW so this would be a fun way to come back. I don't mind a little rock and roll but DH has to use patches, wrist bands and ginger. I was wondering how often the ships that make this trek hit rough weather? We have been on the Spirit and Splendor up the Baja Coast in the spring and both times it was pretty rocky. Our cabin steward on the Splendor told us it was the worst he had encountered. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am looking at Cabin 8237. 

I have sailed this itinerary twice, last spring and previously in the fall.

The first trip, Fall 2017, the worst wave action was after we left Vancouver port, the Vancouver area islands were the worst but once we hit the open seas the sailing was fairly easy.  There is always a strong wind, though we didn’t notice bad wave action much during the day but in bed at night we noticed it more...although it put me to sleep very quickly.

This spring we did the reverse sailing, departing from Honolulu.  There was a bit of wave action (causing us a few wobbly paces down the hall as if we had too many cocktails)after we left the islands and were headed across the open sea, but it didn’t last  very long and only for a day or two.  The winds were fairly strong while we were on the open ocean, but it didn’t trouble us. 

As a life long sailor, every day is a new mystery. Could be a lake and could be 30 MPH winds and 15' seas, been in both. You really won't know the weather until a week or 2 out. Wind Guru is a sailors best weather app. 

I've done the Vancouver to HI to LA - and yes, it can be a little dramatic off the coast of Vancouver until you get out of the north Pacific - so the first few sea days might be a bit rough on your DH's equilibrium. 

We just did the May Hawaii to Vancouver on the Ovation of the Seas.  We had cloudy days the last few days but the seas were surprisingly calm.  The Ovation is a much bigger ship than Carnival has so I'm sure that helped but I was expecting rougher seas. 

We loved this cruise - Hawaii's weather was amazing and there was so much to do on the Ovation we were never bored.

I've sailed that route hundreds of times with the Navy and April is basically at the end of the stormy season. You could see some wave action, but it won't be nearly as bad as the 10-15 m seas that are common in the winter on that route. I was a patch-wearer and it worked wonders for me through those seas, so your DH should be ok.

The side-to-side stuff just rocked me to sleep. It was the pitching that made me...deathly ill.

Edited by Sean_B

21 hours ago, scuddles said:

Trying to book my "Hot Seat Offer" and was looking at the HI to Vancouver April 10th, 2020. We are actually moving to Maui the end of the year but wanted to make a spring trip back to the Pacific NW so this would be a fun way to come back. I don't mind a little rock and roll but DH has to use patches, wrist bands and ginger. I was wondering how often the ships that make this trek hit rough weather? We have been on the Spirit and Splendor up the Baja Coast in the spring and both times it was pretty rocky. Our cabin steward on the Splendor told us it was the worst he had encountered. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am looking at Cabin 8237. 

I just did a Vancouver to Hawaii on X in April and the weather was very damp/rainy/windy for the first 3 1/2 days and then it got much nicer as we got closer to Hilo, our first port.  I would imagine that during that time of year this is typical and you would experience something similar only in reverse.

Thanks to all of you for the information. We are really excited to book this cruise but we board the Ovation (RCCL) tomorrow and DH wants to see how the outside passage is before I book the HI to Vancouver. Personally I think he will be fine but I'll let him test the waters. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, scuddles said:

Thanks to all of you for the information. We are really excited to book this cruise but we board the Ovation (RCCL) tomorrow and DH wants to see how the outside passage is before I book the HI to Vancouver. Personally I think he will be fine but I'll let him test the waters. 

Did you decide to book?