What section of London to choose for two women?

2 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

There is no Doubletree in Canary Wharf? 

I understand the point you are making, but your Heathrow comparison is a little disingenuous - it’s 15 minutes on the tube from Green Park to Canary Wharf, getting to the airport takes a lot longer or is more expensive.  

Hilton canary wharf in south quay- sorry does not have doubletree in name like many Hilton's.

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Hilton canary wharf in south quay- sorry does not have doubletree in name like many Hilton's.

Hilton and Hilton Doubletree are two different brands. 

That hotel, despite the name of course, is just outside Canary Wharf and the ‘wrong’ side for the bars and restaurants round North Dock. I’d agree, Marsh Wall is indeed a bit bleak, although much better than it used to be. Canary Wharf itself is a shopping and leisure destination 7 days a week these days. 

And yes, the whole area is soulless, but the resemblance to a downtown US cityscape might explain some of its popularity, I guess! I too would suggest tourists look towards the somewhere more central, but your review makes the Wharf sound a lot more remote, difficult to get too and unattractive than I can agree with 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:12 PM, Morgans said:

Not at all - quite busy (but not rammed with people) and some excellent shops and restaurants. There are some lovely walks by the river. Yes you are certainly out of town but there is easy access into town where you will be able to fight through the crowds when sight seeing! Handy for river boats, buses and DLR .

Which hotel have you seen?  

Thank you.  The hotel is Lincoln Plaza London (part of the Hilton Curio Collection).  Appreciate any advice.

5 hours ago, cpl100 said:

Thank you.  The hotel is Lincoln Plaza London (part of the Hilton Curio Collection).  Appreciate any advice.

That hotel is slightly further from the main Canary Wharf estate than the Doubletree mentioned above - you’d walk past it, in fact. I haven’t been down that way for years so don’t know what’s in the immediate vicinity. 

Unless you have got a GREAT deal, I really would suggest saving yourself up to an hour travelling in and out each day, and look for a hotel in the centre of London.  

7 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

That hotel is slightly further from the main Canary Wharf estate than the Doubletree mentioned above - you’d walk past it, in fact. I haven’t been down that way for years so don’t know what’s in the immediate vicinity. 

Unless you have got a GREAT deal, I really would suggest saving yourself up to an hour travelling in and out each day, and look for a hotel in the centre of London.  

Agree!

Why would two women stay that far from anywhere they would want to be in the center???. Or anyone else for that matter. During 44 long visits to London we went to Canary Wharf one time and can not understand the attraction unless one loves the underground.

Edited by orchestrapal
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

30 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Agree!

Why would two women stay that far from anywhere they would want to be in the center???. Or anyone else for that matter. During 44 long visits to London we went to Canary Wharf one time and can not understand the attraction unless one loves the underground.

Thank you for that geography.  It is very helpful.  Yes, the deal is a great deal but perhaps still not the best option.  Will continue searching for that perfect combination of location and price!

Since I noticed that Camden might be an issue, thought I would ask if any can share information about the convenience of this area. We are staying at a rental house there 2 nights before our September cruise? We won’t be roaming around in the wee hours of the morning but will be trying to get taxis fairly early to meet our tours and transfer. Thanks for any advice..

On 7/2/2019 at 7:45 AM, Aturnee said:

We won’t receive the address til August but it’s in Central Camden NW1.  Thanks!

You'll be fine during daylight hours, and I'm assuming you aren't meaning 4:00 am when you say early.  Instead of a taxi, consider using Uber.  They are considerably less expensive and that way you won't have to walk out to a main street or wait for one to happen by.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 7:57 AM, cpl100 said:

We will be in London for four or five days pre-cruise.  London is so big that we are at a loss of where to even start looking.  Are there areas that are better located for tourists?  Are some areas unsafe (or not safe for women)?  Can anyone offer suggestions please?  Prefer to stay under $300/night.

We will not be touring Tower of London so proximity to it isn't a concern.  Will go to Harrods, Buckingham Palace (if open in late October), and not sure what else.

Thanks for any and all help and ideas.

I recommend staying in the borough of Westminster.  Excellent moderately priced hotels,  plenty of reasonable but good restaurants, easy to use the Underground,  and very safe to walk around day or night (even if out very late).

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2019 at 6:56 PM, GrJ Berkshire said:

Sorry to disagree, we stayed at the Hilton Doubletree Canary wharf and found the area soulless at the weekend, stayed Thur-Sun last autumn. Not the real London, could have been downtown in any large US City. The journey to and fro was tiring  and tiresome esp coming back from West end theatre on sat evening . It's not the area I would recommend to a first time tourist to London. Be closer to the action of what's on most peoples must do's. Same as I would not stay for 5 days out at a LHR airport hotel and travel in and out, might get a good deal but not where you want to be to enjoy London

I had no choice as booked in for work, and extended to make a London break, hotel was good, it's the location.

Had more or less the same experience in 2013 at an Aloft Hotel which was quite nice but come the weekend, well it wasn't exactly quiet as I happened to be there during the London ComicCon and so when folks started popping into the elevator dressed as various space creatures, super heroes, and other sort of characters I could only wonder at (but admired the dedication!) I knew something interesting was underway at ExCeL. The invasion of new guests in the area managed to absolutely clear out the shelves of the local Tesco Express and the few pubs etc around we jammed. Prior to the start of the ComicCon it was way too quiet for me but perhaps others might find it welcoming.

I wasn't keen on being so far away from the center of London - odd as I had always had a commute from Queens or Brooklyn into Manhattan my entire life, shorter than the ride via DLR into town - but the trek was often long and tiresome when it came to planning out the day. I suppose because Londoners are commuting, that I get, just wanting to get into the office or school or home etc. and so being caught up in the rush doesn't feel so holiday-ish, memories of one's own commute.

How I ended up at Aloft sounds similar to what might be happening here: I took a chance on I think it was Hotwire? Not sure–you don't get to know where you're staying until after you pay. Won't do it again!!! Anyway, I wanted a nice hotel and was willing to take a chance, I selected East End and four star....and there I was. Had to prepay so there really was no way out of it once I checked in. It wasn't terrible, I had already seen London a few times. Had this been my first time to London, I don't think I would have been too pleased being this far away from things but, it did include breakfast (continental) and was new and so comfortable, had a lovely lounge and facilities, definitely convenient to DLR stop, so if it's a return visit, one is confident using the tube, it could be fine over in the area. 

Ditto for avoiding Harrods but I think I already mentioned that. I went to John Lewis, I hadn't planned to but it was just there. I think Harvey Nichols was right nearby and I couldn't decide...John Lewis beckoned to me. Spectacular crystal light fixtures in there, I even photographed them. I know....weird. 

As for the assessment of feeling safe or dodgy, I think it's all relevant to one's experience but it's always valid, how one feels, and ought not be discounted although taking a chance might be worth it. Different Kings Cross but, I used these boards (wayyyyyy back when we were just starting out, on our sister site Independent Traveler) to search for places to stay in Sydney. Everyone said Kings Cross was the red light district, to be avoided, just not great and yet, it looked nice, there were some interesting places. I decided to call up a B&B and see how the owners sounded, they were lovely so I booked it on Bayswater Road. I thought, if it's not great I can always find another place, I didn't prepay anything. I arrived, loved it and am still wondering all these years and years later what was so dodgy about it. Yes, it got active at night but I didn't see anything nefarious or creepy and it has one of the coolest fountains (El Alamein) I ever saw (modern) which juxtapose the gorgeous victorian style homes scattered here and there. I walked alone day and night into or from the Quay if I wasn't too tired. 

You just never know. Yes, different city I know but the point being, everyone has different comfort levels and sometimes taking a chance can pay off. Worst case, and I did this in Berlin when I got to a pension in Alexanderplatz with friends that I just wasn't into, I called around and booked a different place; they stayed there...moving somewhere else is always an option in a  big city. Hop in a taxi and off you go. 

My only concern is booking somewhere for a discount, which I understand wanting to save in London, but not knowing where you'll be especially if it's your first trip, might be taking more of a chance with losing valuable time than with any safety issues.

Go for the convenience if possible...have you looked near Paddington area? I have stayed in a B&B in Sussex Gardens which was quite convenient and reasonable, I forget the name every time...it starts with an A and it's not Admiral; it's a short walk to Paddington tube and rail station, lots of restaurants nearby.  Anyway, lots of little places to stay with full English breakfast, wifi, 2-3-4 star accommodations.  Can walk to Little Venice (I never would have known this existed had I not stayed near here, locals told me about it) and some truly beautiful, posh neighborhoods that were a sight to behold. 

As with anywhere, common sense and your best instincts are the ultimate guides.

Let us know how you fare 🙂

Edited by Host Bonjour
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

How I ended up at Aloft sounds similar to what might be happening here: I took a chance on I think it was Hotwire? Not sure–you don't get to know where you're staying until after you pay. Won't do it again!!! Anyway, I wanted a nice hotel and was willing to take a chance, I selected East End and four star....and there I was. 

The good thing about Hotwire is you can narrow down you search to just the areas you're willing to stay. I booked the Strand Palace for our two nights in September through Hotwire. I narrowed down the choices to Soho, Mayfair, and Westminter-Victoria before choosing the deal because I wanted something central.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the information.  We found the Doubletree by Hilton West End (which I think is Bloomsbury) for a decent price.  Is that recommended?  (Not sure what is West End, actually)  Thanks.

1 hour ago, cpl100 said:

Thanks for all the information.  We found the Doubletree by Hilton West End (which I think is Bloomsbury) for a decent price.  Is that recommended?  (Not sure what is West End, actually)  Thanks.

That's a nice area. I spent five weeks nearby taking a summer course when I was in college. You'll be very close to the British Museum. Trafalgar Square is just a mile away. Many of the theaters are even closer.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, GrJ Berkshire said:

Sorry to disagree, we stayed at the Hilton Doubletree Canary wharf and found the area soulless at the weekend, stayed Thur-Sun last autumn. Not the real London, could have been downtown in any large US City. The journey to and fro was tiring  and tiresome esp coming back from West end theatre on sat evening . It's not the area I would recommend to a first time tourist to London. Be closer to the action of what's on most peoples must do's. Same as I would not stay for 5 days out at a LHR airport hotel and travel in and out, might get a good deal but not where you want to be to enjoy London

I had no choice as booked in for work, and extended to make a London break, hotel was good, it's the location.

I agree that for first time visitors to London it is more convenient to stay more central, but to say it’s ‘not the real London’ is absurd. It’s in the East End, for goodness sake. Thousands of Londoners commute there every day for work. There are quite a lot of good restAurants in the area, particularlyplaces like The Gun, which is difficult to book for Sunday lunch. The Museum of London is there, easy to walk through Brunel’s foot tunnel to Greenwich. There’s plenty places of interest and history if you look for it, but wouldn’t be my choice as a first time visitor.

• Like 2

Also, found these hotels and wondering if anyone has experience with them (or the areas):

Park Grand London Kensington

The Cavendish (heart of Mayfair and Piccadilly is what they give as location)

Marriott Hotel Kensington (Kensington)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cpl100 said:

Also, found these hotels and wondering if anyone has experience with them (or the areas):

Park Grand London Kensington

The Cavendish (heart of Mayfair and Piccadilly is what they give as location)

Marriott Hotel Kensington (Kensington)

Thanks!

All are in great and safe areas.  The Cavendish will be truly in the middle of everything.  

• Like 1

We stayed in the Waterloo area last year. It was walking distance for us to the Tate Modern, London Eye, and Globe Theatre. It was not the most convenient location--but for six nights, it was the most convenient affordable location for us. There's always a tradeoff between location and price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ducklite said:

All are in great and safe areas.  The Cavendish will be truly in the middle of everything.  

15 hours ago, ducklite said:

There are two Unrelated Cavendish hotels in London. The one on Jermyn  Street is the better located more expensive one,  was given rooms quite are small. We stayed there several times and found it not worth the money as owners changed and so did the rates.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ducklite said:

Thank you.  We booked into the Marriott Kensington.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cpl100 said:

Thank you.  We booked into the Marriott Kensington.  

I hope you're planning on going to Kensington Palace. We enjoyed our tour of it before our British Isles cruise two years ago. You'll also be close to the Victoria and Albert Museum. It's another great place to visit. Harrods is just up the road from there.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 9:25 AM, geoherb said:

I hope you're planning on going to Kensington Palace. We enjoyed our tour of it before our British Isles cruise two years ago. You'll also be close to the Victoria and Albert Museum. It's another great place to visit. Harrods is just up the road from there.

We plan on visiting all those places!  Thanks!

On 7/15/2019 at 10:52 PM, geoherb said:

The good thing about Hotwire is you can narrow down you search to just the areas you're willing to stay. I booked the Strand Palace for our two nights in September through Hotwire. I narrowed down the choices to Soho, Mayfair, and Westminter-Victoria before choosing the deal because I wanted something central.

Oh that sounds awesome. I think it has evolved into a better system than when I first used it a few years ago, as have many of the earliest online travel booking sites. I always tend to be an early adopter of new things (but not always!) and sometimes that can be instantly wonderful, other times they've got some things to improve upon which is more often the case. In London, given that is is rather spread out and with such a variety of different feels to each neighborhood, with everyone potentially interested in a different experience and at different price points, it makes sense that they offer people much more focused zones to select from when going in for a hotel.

More likely to please and get a comeback when the client is thrilled; I haven't ever used Hotwire again, opting to use other hotel sites any other time I needed a place whether it is directly through the hotel or an online site like Hotels Tonight which isn't always the best either for best price, last minute. Always have to look for all the options depending upon one's needs. 

Let us know how it goes after you return from your visit in September, it would be great to hear about your trip and how London was, the hotel, everything. 🙂 Thanks for sharing about Hotwire!

• Like 1