Cruise Critic Community
myacuna

Short Disney Cruise question

Hello Disney cruisers!

Although I am not new to cruising, I am new to Disney Cruising. I have a November 2020 7 nighter booked on Fantasy and barring any pregnancy/young baby things that may cause us to cancel before final payment we will be heading out with some family and friends on our first long Disney.

Looking as this is so far out, I am considering a 3 night (MAYBE 4) intro cruise on Dream out of PC in January or February. Usually we would be looking at RCCL again but thought I would throw this in the running. I don't care about Nassau and would stay on the ship. At Castaway, we would just do some beach things.

Is a quickie like this worth it to get our first cruise under out belts to make scheduling and whatnot on our longer cruise a bit easier? I am not terribly concerned about booking "extras" as I have a planner and I will leave that to her. But are there perks I am not considering by cruising something short as a getaway?

Also, is it even possible to get an inside room for 3 for under $2k for 3 (or even 4 night)?

I will be honest, Disney was/is a hard sell for me. I know what I know and RCL/Carnival is what I know. Pricing for Disney is high in my opinion but obviously has not stopped me from booking (though I am not convinced yet to keep this reservation).

To note: we are 37 (me), almost 40 (husband), almost 5 (son) and maybe a baby at some point.

1 hour ago, myacuna said:

Is a quickie like this worth it to get our first cruise under out belts to make scheduling and whatnot on our longer cruise a bit easier? I am not terribly concerned about booking "extras" as I have a planner and I will leave that to her. But are there perks I am not considering by cruising something short as a getaway?

There's really no extras for having one cruise under your belt.  As far as the loyalty program goes, once you've completed one DCL cruise you are a Silver Castaway Club member.  Only benefit for a future cruise for that is that you can do you online check in/excursion bookings at 90 days out instead of 75.  Well, also get a silver lanyard (if that's important), and an in-room gift (in this case a bag of some sort).

If those things are important, then, yes, you should do it.

Only other thing I could think of is, while on an earlier cruise, you could re-shop the current reservation and see if rebooking onboard will save you any money.  The onboard booking discounts are taken on the prevailing price of the cruise, not the price you already have, so it's possible it won't.  Plus you will have paid for an extra cruise to get that discount.