Can we do this with our winter coats?

tempus137

We'll be on the Dec 10 CB Partial Transit from Port Everglades. We'll be flying down from NYC the day before & staying at the Embassy Suites overnight.

Obviously, we're not going to need our winter coats on the cruise, and I don't want to wear them from the hotel to the port, and I don't want to try to squeeze them into our luggage. Do you think it's possible that the hotel will let us store them when we check out & pick them up on our way to the airport after the cruise? If they do, I expect there will probably some charge.

• Haha 1

We live in Vermont and fly down to Florida in January every year.  We wear light weight jackets in the taxi to the airport...wouldn't think of wearing our heavy winter jackets.  Yeah, we're uncomfortably cold for a few minutes, but it's not a deal-breaker.

• Like 6

We have often left the "frozen north" to fly to FLL for a January cruise.  We're fortunate that our son drives us to DTW so we can leave our winter coats in the car where they stay til he picks us up when we return.  And we always fly down the day before the cruise leaves.  An alternative would be to wear several non-bulky layers (long underwear + turtleneck + heavy sweater + jacket e.g.) which can be removed and stashed in one's carry-on luggage once you're in the airport.

Edited by BarbinMich

Get a packable puffer coat that you can then stuff into your luggage.  We took them on our Carnival Pride repo cruise, Tampa/Panama Canal/Baltimore.  When we got to Baltimore it was 20 degrees, and we were fine.  Wished I had had gloves, though.  The taxi line was long.  EM

Agree with the packable puffer coat if you must have a coat.  We've flown from Kansas with a temp of 8 degrees to warm Arizona weather of 85, and simply left the coats in the car at the airport.  Walking from the car to the terminal pickup was bearable for a few short minutes.  Once you get into the airport and on the airplane, it's all climate controlled. 

We fly every winter from cold weather in PA to FLL or L.A. from home to the airport we wear, long pants, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt or sweater and then our Gore Tex rain shells. We don't take a winter coat. All of the above mentioned clothing has come in handy, especially the sweatshirt/sweater either on the ship or off in case of rain. Layered clothing is the way to go. Suggest you leave the winter coats at home. If you decide to bring your winter coat all the way to FLL then wear it on the plane and once in FLL just carry it to the hotel, then on to the ship and hang it in the closet.

For flights/cruises in the winter, we use our packable puffer jackets and I wear gloves.  They squish up into a really small ball (although some brands are a bit "fatter") that we can easily fit into our carry-on backpack.  We do not live in the tundra, but even our humid 25-30 degrees feels brutal on the walk to the car (especially a warm cruise).  

3 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We live in Vermont and fly down to Florida in January every year.  We wear light weight jackets in the taxi to the airport...wouldn't think of wearing our heavy winter jackets.  Yeah, we're uncomfortably cold for a few minutes, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Yes, this.  

I wouldn't trust that the ES wouldn't misplace them or damage them.  

Its not a service they usually provide, and the luggage storage room is pretty packed - if they put them in the luggage room they'll get knocked about.  I don't know where else they'd put them.   

We fly from Toronto - we layer up, and if we are chilly for a few minutes we deal.   

Unless you are quite concerned about getting a chill, I recommend layering up and leaving the coats at home.  

We take a 'warm' holiday every year......flying south from the frozen Canadian prairies. We wear a light jacket, long pants, and shoes for the taxi ride to the airport. After that, we are indoors or on the plane all the way until the weather is warmer!  (Leave the winter coat, boots, mitts, and scarf at home!)

When flying south I wear multiple sweaters/sweatshirts/light jacket.  Basically 3 or 4 layers at once in the cold weather, then I have 3 or 4 layers that I will use one at a time to deal with a chilly evening or aggressive air conditioning. Once I get to the airport a few of them go in the luggage, which is where they would have been in the first place if I was wearing a heavy coat.

Edited by ed01106

Coming from Toronto in the winter, I wear long sleeves, sweater and spring jacket, long pants, running shoes to the airport. Once inside the airport, I change and I put these clothes in my carry on.