Empress of the Sea cabin selection

JeanneII

I'm new to this board, and we just booked on the Empress of the Sea to Bermuda in June. I'm trying to understand the cabin grades and need some help.

When I made the reservation, I specifically asked for a room with a window. From what was available, we selected category I/deck 3, #3524 (bow of boat, starboard side). The next day I realized the window was only a porthole. I really wanted a window(can't afford a suite with balcony unfortuantely), so I called back and was told I'd have to upgrade to category F/deck 7. I selected #7510 (again, bow of boat, starboard side, no obstruction).

I found deck plans surfing around the net, but I just want to make sure I got the right thing. Are there full windows on lower decks than deck 7? Will I feel the boat rocking or bouncing being toward the front of the boat on deck 7? Will deck 7 be a beter view than a lower deck assuming there is a full windlw? Help . . .:confused:

I have a fear of motion sickness I suppose.:o We have only been on one cruise before (Carnival) about 10 years ago, we had an inside cabin, the trip was in Sept/Oct (hurricaine season), and the sea was pretty rough. Even the crew said it was much rougher than usual. I felt dizzy most of the trip and really nauseated for a day. I'm not normally a PITA . . . really.;)

This is our 20th anniversary -- just want the trip to be the best it can be for us.:)

We are on Empress to Bermuda (4/29). Our cabins are on deck 47 (cat H 4136 and one next to it but can't remember the number) and are expecting windows. I really hope they are not just portholes or my Mom will FLIP out! :o

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Kelly

jeann, if you have a problem with being seasick you really need to try to move to a more mid-ship cabin. Being at the front is really where the most motion is felt. Also lower is better than higher as far as motion.

We were on the Empress in Sept. & she is a beautiful ship, Older & Smaller but we really loved it!

There are no rooms available in the H category (deck 4) in mid ship, only up front, which is basically where I am now only up higher (I'm on deck 7). So it looks like I'm stuck with up front.

Are the rooms up front on level 4 a porthole or a full window?

Hi Helen.

Until today, I had not been thinking of motion sickness, but now that another poster mentioned it, I'm wondering if I'm more likely to feel bobbing/movement in cabin 7510 than I would if I went with a cabin toward the back (7676, 7678, or 8678 are still available). Any opinion?

Jeanne...I think it is "six of one, and a half dozen of another". If it were me ( DH and I are also part time cruise agents), I would stay where I was, and ask your TA to put you on the "wait list" for a stateroom nearer mid-ships. Are you doing the 5 day Western? Sometimes it gets a little rocky out of Key West and around Cuba. Try the "Wait List" idea...Helen

We were on the Empress a couple of years ago, and are going again in March. It was a ROUGH trip, (12-15 ft all week) but we had a blast.

The difference between and a window is that you see a bit more water. No big difference.

The bow will have a little more motion than mid-ship, but it's not that big a deal. It's also really neat to hear the waves booming on the hull when you're up front.

If you are really worried, get some seasickness bands, and there is an OTC medication called TripTone (meclazine) that works wonders for most people. It's what we divers use down here in Florida.

If seasickness has been an issue in the past, you might want to visit your Dr. and get a prescription for patches (scopalamine).

Have a great trip and don't worry about it.

Wendy

• 2 months later...

Archived