Which precruise Hotel-can it be confirmed prior to final documents?

Clay Clayton

Booked a two day precruise Viking extension in Beijing prior to our October cruise.  We want to arrive a day earlier and stay in the same hotel. Viking information says JW Marriott or similar.  Anyway to find out which hotel for sure?  I've emailed TellUs but have not gotten a response. I figure I will call but thought I'd ask here first.

TIA

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Booked a two day precruise Viking extension in Beijing prior to our October cruise.  We want to arrive a day earlier and stay in the same hotel. Viking information says JW Marriott or similar.  Anyway to find out which hotel for sure?  I've emailed TellUs but have not gotten a response. I figure I will call but thought I'd ask here first.

TIA

Patience. Give them time to get the right answer from the people who are responsible for deciding where you will be staying. Viking uses a lot of different hotels in Beijing, so they have to find out where you have been assigned. Even so, double check your cruise docs prior to sailing to make sure they have not had to make changes in which hotel will be used for your pre-cruise.

We're doing a cruise later this year, (Europe), and we've known from the time we booked it the name of the hotel.  It doesn't say 'or similar'.  With this information in hand we have already decided on our activities pre-cruise - depending on the weather, naturally.

Your pre-cruise is in a different part of the world, so hope your experience will be much the same as ours, and that you get to find out the name of your hotel as soon as possible.  I wouldn't like it one bit if I was agreeing to pay in advance for an hotel which I wasn't given details of.  Good luck.

Edited by Parsley Cruises
addition

After an email exchange with TellUs and a phone call, it's all but confirmed that we will be at the advertised (not at a similar) hotel. Unfortunately the rate we could purchase an additional night is twice what a chinese agency helping us with the pre-pre-cruise portion can book us at what appears to be a comparable hotel...so we will just be moving in the middle of our stay in Beijing.  Not perfect but for the extra $400 I can do a lot!  LOL

We've done an extra day on a post-cruise extension, and here is how it worked for us.

1. Called Viking, and was told they would not be able to confirm whether we were booked in the identified hotel or a "similar" until 30 days before the cruise.
2. Made a reservation at the identified hotel for the third night, making sure that it could be cancelled with no charge within the last 30 days. Not sure what I would have done if the hotel had a non-cancellable charge.
3. A key point is that the reservation for the Viking extension and the additional reservation are not "coupled" by the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel with the extension group and got our room assignment and key from the desk set up by Viking, we then immediately went to the registration desk of the hotel to make sure we could stay in the same room. As it turned out, they would have had us moving to a different room. We would have had to check out of the Viking extension room by noon and would not have been able to check in to our new room until 3 PM. They worked this out at the registration desk and allowed us to stay in the same room. They were very accommodating, but I got some hints that the hotel could have had reservations for the third night that would have made it necessary for us to move. Even with the same room, I had to go down to the front desk after the two nights with Viking, give them my credit card again for any additional charges and get the room key reactivated for the third night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 2017, we had booked a China cruise/tour with Viking, Beijing to Shanghai. We were flying in from Japan after staying a week there.

Unfortunately, a typhoon was threatening Japan, so we arranged to fly to Beijing a day earlier. We had made our own travel arrangements, so Viking had nothing to do with the changed flights. We did contact Viking about our earlier arrival, and they arranged for an extra night at the same hotel they had assigned us, and also arranged for an earlier transfer from the airport to the hotel.

All was done via email using Viking's 24-hour emergency assistance contact.

• 1 month later...

We are doing two Viking river cruises, making our own back to back river cruises.  The first river cruise is from Berlin to Prague, the second cruises starts the day after we end our first leg in Prague.  We contacted the hotel that Viking uses - the Corinthia and they offered us a room that is equivalent to what Viking reserves for their passengers and they made a note to keep us in the same room for five days.  Of course we will double check once we get our travel documents and when we get to Prague but the hotel was certain that Viking is using them for 2020.  We hope that we can be in the same room for five days.

We did something similar when we did Bucharest to Budapest in 2017. We booked our Bucharest hotel  to arrive 2 days before cruise tour began, and coordinated with hotel to keep same room that Viking would have given us. We did not coordinate with Viking.