Table for 2.... Rude or not??

Hoof Hearted

Just a question about getting a table in the MDR for just 2, is it rude not to want to sit with others and what is the best way to reserve a table for 2 in the MDR?? Is it worth paying for the $600 romantic package for the table guarantee and the extra perks??

Nothing wrong with a table for 2.  A lot of people do it.

If you are doing fixed dining, then you can request a table for 2 on your booking.

If you are doing anytime/open dining, when you go to the MDR just ask for a table for 2.  There may be a bit of a wait depending upon availability and the time you go in.  If you are open to reserving in the less popular hours (ie. 5:30 - 6:15/6:30 and 7:45/8 p.m. and after) you can reserve a table for up to 3 days in advance usually.  Just ask the dining room manager/assistant manager.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Can you get a confirmed table 8 months out from your cruise with the fixed dining option??

Not to my knowledge or in my experience.  Too far out.

That being said, my table request size has always been honoured.

It is not rude to ask for a table for 2.  

We did it for many years.  Our TA knew what table and time we liked and when we booked a cruise, she would request it for us.  Then when it was time to make final payment, she would reconfirm it for us.  And we usually book 1 1/2 years in advance of a cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Thank You..... The last time we cruised on HAL was in 2005 on the Oosterdam (still a new ship back then) and I remember trying to get a table for a group of 10 was a challenge, but doable...

Getting a table for 10 is much harder than getting one for 2 people.

• Like 1

We never felt it was rude to request a table for two! We do open dining and always get a table but there might be a small wait but they always accommodate you. I know your request was for fixed dining and what Jacqui (Kazu) has said and KK (KrazieKruiser) is correct!

Denise😊

• Like 1

My husband and I always request a table for 2.  We both work long and varied hours and our home life can be rushed some days - our cruises are a chance to slow down and reconnect, and we want it to just be 'us time' at dinner.

I always ask my PCC to request the table for two, and I even have her request a specific table after I review the dining room layout (if available).  She always tells me that it isn't guaranteed, but we've always had our request honored, right down to the table location.

• Like 2

On all of our cruises, 4*, we've always requested fixed dining with a larger table in order to meet new people.  However, that being said our cruise this past year has convinced us to change to fixed dining, table for 2.  The reason - we had a table for 6 and on the entire 10 day cruise we sat alone for 8 of those nights. Never knew if the others would come or not.  

So no I don't think asking for a table for 2 is rude.

3 minutes ago, momatibm said:

On all of our cruises, 4*, we've always requested fixed dining with a larger table in order to meet new people.  However, that being said our cruise this past year has convinced us to change to fixed dining, table for 2.  The reason - we had a table for 6 and on the entire 10 day cruise we sat alone for 8 of those nights. Never knew if the others would come or not.  

So no I don't think asking for a table for 2 is rude.

I do not see it being rude at all.  Some people are not comfortable talking to others or just want some quality time alone.  In fact, I would rather they do this than be seated at my larger table!

What I REALLY think is rude is your example of people selecting a fixed dining time (especially the popular Early one and then not showing up for most of the nights.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I do not see it being rude at all.  Some people are not comfortable talking to others or just want some quality time alone.  In fact, I would rather they do this than be seated at my larger table!

What I REALLY think is rude is your example of people selecting a fixed dining time (especially the popular Early one and then not showing up for most of the nights.

I totally agree with you on this last statement. Even when we have a Pinnacle reservation, we always tell both the other diners and our waitstaff so they know not to wait for us.  And we usually have only one specialty reservation per cruise unless it's one of the really long cruises that have the 'really' special dinners - sommelier or chef's for example.

Edited by momatibm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

Just a question about getting a table in the MDR for just 2, is it rude not to want to sit with others and what is the best way to reserve a table for 2 in the MDR?? Is it worth paying for the $600 romantic package for the table guarantee and the extra perks??

IF you want a table for two, NOthing  wrong with that.  I was recently a solo,     requested amd  was assigned a tab;e fpr twp set  for  only one, just for me.  II did not feel thagt wsas  rude seeing it  was d requested before I even boarded.  Itg had nothing   to do  with not wishing  tgo dine with spedific persons as I did not wish to dine every night with anyone.   Ipreferred to be alone.

.image.png.16b8788aa3567a51d30d7d9b000a732a.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 4

We only do table for two and started doing it after several cruises with horrible tablemates. Our upcoming cruise in Aug. will be #49 and we got tired of forced small talk with people we had nothing in common with after about cruise #30. Not rude at all and we see it as just a continuation of eating at home (no kids) and we always enjoy each other's company after 42 years of marriage. We only do Anytime Dining and never have a problem getting a table for two on Carnival. On Holland, we usually have our Neptune Lounge concierges order dinner for us to have in our suite. If we do go to the MDR, we ask for a table for two and don't have a problem there either. On both cruise lines, we go early so we don't have to wait for a table for two.

• Like 1

Is it rude?  Hardly.   Why is it rude to request this on a vacation that you have paid for??

Would we pay $600.  Absolutely not.  A shake down if I have ever seen one.

We do anytime dining whenever possible.  Never had a problem getting a table for two when we requested it.

• Like 3

Not rude at all.  We do it all the time.  Be warned, however, sometimes those table for 2 are so very close to the next table that it is essentially a table for 4.  On our last cruise in December we had reservations for a table for 2.  Our table was literally light next to another table for two.  We were so close that we could pour wine for each other.  The first night it was a bit awkward because there was just 1 woman at the table.  Eventually, we felt compelled to at least say hello.  We did and from then on it became a table for 3.  Best dinner companion ever!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Not rude at all. Your not obligated to eat with others. 

Totally agree that is it Rude to duck out on your Fixed Dining table mates, without notification. Back when we did fixed dining, if we knew we would not be attending the next night, (PG Dinner, late port night, etc.) we would inform our table mates and head waiter. That way our table did not have to wait to determine if we were just running late or ditching them for the evening. Its just common courtesy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We only do table for two and started doing it after several cruises with horrible tablemates. Our upcoming cruise in Aug. will be #49 and we got tired of forced small talk with people we had nothing in common with after about cruise #30. Not rude at all and we see it as just a continuation of eating at home (no kids) and we always enjoy each other's company after 42 years of marriage. We only do Anytime Dining and never have a problem getting a table for two on Carnival. On Holland, we usually have our Neptune Lounge concierges order dinner for us to have in our suite. If we do go to the MDR, we ask for a table for two and don't have a problem there either. On both cruise lines, we go early so we don't have to wait for a table for two.

Absolutely agree....

You said it, so I don't have to!

2 hours ago, TXCruiser10 said:

Not rude at all.  We do it all the time.  Be warned, however, sometimes those table for 2 are so very close to the next table that it is essentially a table for 4.  On our last cruise in December we had reservations for a table for 2.  Our table was literally light next to another table for two.  We were so close that we could pour wine for each other.  The first night it was a bit awkward because there was just 1 woman at the table.  Eventually, we felt compelled to at least say hello.  We did and from then on it became a table for 3.  Best dinner companion ever!

We always request a table for 2.  With open seating I would see the dining podium attendant as soon as we board and have always been given a table for 2, which sometimes becomes a table for 4 due to the closeness of the tables.  We have met some great people this way!

Last few cruises we have opted for fixed seating and have been given a table for 2 (could be due to 5* status, too!)  I don't think it is rude at all.

Karen

We are 2* mariners and had fixed seating for 2 on our last cruise.  We don't think it's rude because some of the diners around us did the same.  We conversed with some of them as if they were sitting at our own table.  It was intimate for us yet sociable for everyone.  Would do the same next time. 

• Like 1

We have had a 2-top positioned close enough to another table that we became friendly with one couple & dreaded the dinners that they weren't there.  As a rule, we opt for a secluded 2-top so we aren't drawn into the 'how many cruises, what star level are you, political convos' that often happen...just our preference.

• Like 1