Table for 2.... Rude or not??

Hoof Hearted

We have never asked for a table for 2. Our upcoming cruise will be on our 50th wedding anniversary. We had requested a table for 8, but when our docs came out they noted a two-top is requested. We didn't request it. I guess they assumed we'd want one for our celebration. We'll be happy to have it. We'll see what happens once we're onboard the ship.

26 minutes ago, jhannah said:

We have never asked for a table for 2. Our upcoming cruise will be on our 50th wedding anniversary. We had requested a table for 8, but when our docs came out they noted a two-top is requested. We didn't request it. I guess they assumed we'd want one for our celebration. We'll be happy to have it. We'll see what happens once we're onboard the ship.

Congratulations, Jim on your 50th.  Wishing you many more years together in good health and happiness.

23 hours ago, mamaofami said:

We almost always ask for a table for 2. We got burned by another couple and their mother in law from the south who only wanted to talk politics and that was enough for me.We prefer our own company at dinner time, even though we are both friendly and outgoing people.

We started requesting 2-Tops after a few not so good experiences unless we Cruise with Family or Friends.  We actually switched off of a 6-Top Table after three nights because of a Woman monopolizing conversation with bragging about everything!  Bragging about how much Jewelry she bought onboard, at Diamonds International, etc.  She was a monopolizing conversation bore!  

3 hours ago, Hoof Hearted said:

It’s under gifts and indulgences

Thanks, but I cannot look it up because I do not currently have a booking.  Is this for a table for two the entire cruise.  What else is offered? 

Just for the record, I think it's ridiculous that HAL is trying to sell this package unless there is something extra special included.

4 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thanks, but I cannot look it up because I do not currently have a booking.  Is this for a table for two the entire cruise.  What else is offered? 

Just for the record, I think it's ridiculous that HAL is trying to sell this package unless there is something extra special included.

A romantic package for the two of you and a perfect gift for honeymooners, the Just for Us Package includes one dozen roses, one bottle of Nicholas Feuillattes, two luxurious waffle terry bathrobes, one evening of dessert and champagne served in your stateroom, one afternoon tea delivered to your stateroom, a private table for two in the dining room, two indulgent 25-minute aromatherapy massages at the Greenhouse Spa, dinner for two in the elegant Pinnacle Grill, and a 10x7 photo sheet to preserve the memory of your cruise together. Pinnacle Grill dinner reservations to be made by the guest on board. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

HAL would not offer this if people were not prepared to pay. It may seem ridiculous to you, but it is obviously not to others.

5 minutes ago, colbe said:

HAL would not offer this if people were not prepared to pay. It may seem ridiculous to you, but it is obviously not to others.

I think it's brilliant marketing. Anyone can get a table for two, but make it special. Simply add a massage, a $25 dollar bottle of wine, roomservice twice which was already included in the fare, one $50 reservation for pinnacle grill, lend them luxurious waffle terry bathrobes for a week and take a picture. Then charge $600 per couple and some will feel they're missing out not having luxurious waffle terry bathrobes.

4 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I think it's brilliant marketing. Anyone can get a table for two, but make it special. Simply add a massage, a $25 dollar bottle of wine, roomservice twice which was already included in the fare, one $50 reservation for pinnacle grill, lend them luxurious waffle terry bathrobes for a week and take a picture. Then charge $600 per couple and some will feel they're missing out not having luxurious waffle terry bathrobes.

I was thinking the same thing..... 🤪

I was able to get a table for 2 from my TA, now I can afford a dozen roses 🌹 lol

3 minutes ago, Hoof Hearted said:

I was able to get a table for 2 from my TA

I don't think you need your TA for that. Simply say you want a table for two when you walk into the restaurant.

On Celebrity I noticed a 2 top actually means that there are really small gaps in a big common table, even too small for the waiter to walk through, but as you're technically not at the same table there's no need for introductions and small talk. If you "happen" to overhear what the table next to you is talking about, it's easy to start a conversation if it's interesting. If they're boring, no need to talk about the weather. Best of both ways IMHO.

Here is my two cents...first to answer your question, there are quite a few tables for two...go for it. What would be rude would be asking to sit at a table for four and demand no one be seated with you when you would have no need for a larger table.

My thoughts...our last HAL cruise (December 2018) we tried anytime (or whatever it is called) dining for the first time and loved it! We sat at a table for two every night..the first night we walked up without a reservation. Got our table for two but we were next to a table with three children who were out of control. They were so loud we could not carry on a normal conversation and left before we even had dessert as I was getting a headache from the crying, whining and carrying on. We have three small grandchildren my tolerance is very high for noise and crazyness but this was even was beyond that. 

The next day we walked around the dining room scoped out the tables that were more "isolated" and started making reservations. It worked out really well. Please note that availability of the tables were limited so our dining time choices were either before or after the prime time for that cruise. We were good with that...we had nowhere we had to be...Bon Voyage!

12 hours ago, colbe said:

A romantic package for the two of you and a perfect gift for honeymooners, the Just for Us Package includes one dozen roses, one bottle of Nicholas Feuillattes, two luxurious waffle terry bathrobes, one evening of dessert and champagne served in your stateroom, one afternoon tea delivered to your stateroom, a private table for two in the dining room, two indulgent 25-minute aromatherapy massages at the Greenhouse Spa, dinner for two in the elegant Pinnacle Grill, and a 10x7 photo sheet to preserve the memory of your cruise together. Pinnacle Grill dinner reservations to be made by the guest on board. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages.

It does include some nice things (assuming that the bathrobes are yours to keep.)  Much better, and not as ridiculous as it appeared...  OP's description of " the table guarantee and the extra perks??"   However, if you take out the "free" table for two,  and if the bathrooms are only on loan for a week, the other items do not add up to $600.  But as mentioned, a great marketing tool!  And I am sure there are those that buy into it for the convenience. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👩‍❤️‍👨  It's sort of like the drink package that DH and I pay extra for either in our overall cruise price or on the ship.  We don't drink nearly enough to meet the cost of the package, but we like the convenience of not having to sign a slip, leave a tip, or worry about what we are spending on our drinks. 🍹

PS - The description of the package just says "a private table for two in the dining room".  It does not say the table is for each night of your cruise.   I would difinately make sure it's for the duration and not just one night for that priviledge.

Edited by Iamthesea

52 minutes ago, matondo said:

Here is my two cents...first to answer your question, there are quite a few tables for two...go for it. What would be rude would be asking to sit at a table for four and demand no one be seated with you when you would have no need for a larger table.

My thoughts...our last HAL cruise (December 2018) we tried anytime (or whatever it is called) dining for the first time and loved it! We sat at a table for two every night..the first night we walked up without a reservation. Got our table for two but we were next to a table with three children who were out of control. They were so loud we could not carry on a normal conversation and left before we even had dessert as I was getting a headache from the crying, whining and carrying on. We have three small grandchildren my tolerance is very high for noise and crazyness but this was even was beyond that. 

The next day we walked around the dining room scoped out the tables that were more "isolated" and started making reservations. It worked out really well. Please note that availability of the tables were limited so our dining time choices were either before or after the prime time for that cruise. We were good with that...we had nowhere we had to be...Bon Voyage!

Exactly why She Who Must Be Obeyed and I always book anytime and request a table for two.  If we end up next to a large table of drunks or feral children, we can easily adjust our time and location for a more pleasant experience.

They only time it didn't work was our first cruise with another couple who didn't want to try anytime.  We ended up next to a table of six drunks who shouted and cackled their way through every meal.

They next cruise with them they were all about anytime and finding the ideal location.

Not sure how to label the phenomenon, but in the last 10-15 years, land and sea,  it seems that more and more people shout during their meals.

• Like 2

We use the anytime dining and get a table for 2.We always prefer it that way,as sometimes we've been seated with people that make us uncomfortable. That and we can do what we want,and leave when we want to.

16 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I don't think you need your TA for that. Simply say you want a table for two when you walk into the restaurant.

On Celebrity I noticed a 2 top actually means that there are really small gaps in a big common table, even too small for the waiter to walk through, but as you're technically not at the same table there's no need for introductions and small talk. If you "happen" to overhear what the table next to you is talking about, it's easy to start a conversation if it's interesting. If they're boring, no need to talk about the weather. Best of both ways IMHO.

The small gap two tops are not satisfactory.  All too often, the group next to you does want to start a conversation. If we wanted a conversation, we wouldn't ask for a two top.   We've also had people at the next top that were obviously enjoying their wine package.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

The small gap two tops are not satisfactory.  All too often, the group next to you does want to start a conversation. If we wanted a conversation, we wouldn't ask for a two top.   We've also had people at the next top that were obviously enjoying their wine package.    

This happens to us all the time.  I feel like our food doesn't digest as well when we have to carry on a conversation because  we end up having to swallow before properly chewing in order to answer questions.  And I sometimes come away from a meal not even realizing what the food tasted like, or even what I had to eat!  🕵️‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

This happens to us all the time.  I feel like our food doesn't digest as well when we have to carry on a conversation because  we end up having to swallow before properly chewing in order to answer questions.  And I sometimes come away from a meal not even realizing what the food tasted like, or even what I had to eat!  🕵️‍♂️

I recognize that we're in the minority, but those 'cozy' two tops are just another reason why we consider the MDR to be overrated.  

On 6/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, Iamthesea said:

Apparently there is, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it. 😏

On 6/22/2019 at 3:29 AM, slidergirl said:

On the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, there is a thread about "Have you ever had terrible tablemates."  A frequent poster here on CC wrote:

"...Folks have 1 or two bad experiences with tablemates and then spend the rest of their life at 2 tops.  Although we have had a couple of lousy tables (over more than 40 years of extensive cruising) this pales by comparison to the fun tables and many wonderful friends we have met when sharing tables.  I am convinced that the rise of social media has created a sub-culture of folks who have simply forgotten (or never knew) how to socialize face to face."

I know how to socialize.  I'm not a social media freak (what's Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest???).   I choose to use my time on a cruise to reconnect with myself, relax, reboot.  If forced to sit with others, I can turn on the actress and chat a bunch of babble with the best of them; after all, that's my job at work.   Allow me to regale the table with tales of poorly-behaved guests, drunk Supreme Court Justices, Presidential candidates who treat their nannies like slaves, celebrities who stiff the hotel for a bottle of Dom, etc.  But, that would turn my vacation into a "busman's holiday"...   

Enjoy your table for 2.  Enjoy the interaction with your SO without interruption.  Rekindle some emotions you may have left behind.  Get the romance going!!! 

That last bit is why we ask for a two top. Mrs G and I both lead busy lives, time just for us is precious and fortunately after near on 40 years we still enjoy each other. (Yes she is a saint to still like me).

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, slidergirl said:

Nothing at all wrong with wanting a table to yourselves.  There are a few on here who call us "unsociable" when we state we want to eat alone and not at a table with strangers.  Too bad.  I'll still get my 2-top or eat elsewhere.  I have to talk to strangers and make chit chat every day at work, so I really don't want to do that on my vacations.  It's my vacation/cruise - I don't want to be thrown in with a herd of strangers when I am dining...

^^   That.  yes, yes, yes and yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, Iamthesea said:

It does include some nice things (assuming that the bathrobes are yours to keep.)  Much better, and not as ridiculous as it appeared...  OP's description of " the table guarantee and the extra perks??"   However, if you take out the "free" table for two,  and if the bathrooms are only on loan for a week, the other items do not add up to $600.  But as mentioned, a great marketing tool!  And I am sure there are those that buy into it for the convenience. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👩‍❤️‍👨  It's sort of like the drink package that DH and I pay extra for either in our overall cruise price or on the ship.  We don't drink nearly enough to meet the cost of the package, but we like the convenience of not having to sign a slip, leave a tip, or worry about what we are spending on our drinks. 🍹

On 6/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, Iamthesea said:

This all sounds like  forced romance?  Do many folks  actually buy such a package?     Why?   

image.png

We just came off of Zuiderdam 17 day Atlantic Crossing.  We had a table for 2 each night, but, there seemed to be a lot of people requesting tables for 2.  We had an actual 2 top table 3 times.  We normally were seated at a 4 top which was set for 2.  We had Anytime Dining and generally ate at about 7:15.  One issue I have with HAL is you cannot reserve a dining time until you board (unlike RCCL and Celebrity).  So, we have to go to DR as soon as we board and request a time.  They said we can only reserve 3 nights at a time, BUT several times (including the first night) we had a table we liked and requested that we could have that table for the rest of the cruise.  EVERY TIME we were told that the table was reserved for the rest of the cruise by someone else, so obviously the 3 night thing does not hold for everyone.  All of our waiters were very good, but some tables seemed to have a better "ambiance" for us.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:24 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Exactly why She Who Must Be Obeyed and I always book anytime and request a table for two.  If we end up next to a large table of drunks or feral children, we can easily adjust our time and location for a more pleasant experience.

Feral children- that is quite descriptive. I think I might borrow that.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:24 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Exactly why She Who Must Be Obeyed and I always book anytime and request a table for two.  If we end up next to a large table of drunks or feral children, we can easily adjust our time and location for a more pleasant experience...

Great Post, although we have not had the "feral children" experience.  The" large table of drunks" has more than made up for the absence of "feral children".  And that is why She Who Is So Helpful and I only eat at tables for two when we aren't traveling with family and/or friends.