Embassy Suites Midtown Manhattan

saltwaterfan

We will be cruising out of Manhattan on 9/1 and have reserved a room at the Embassy Suites and

the Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square South.  Does anyone have any comments or concerns 

about either property.  They are located within a few blocks of each other and not to far from

the Pier 88.  The rates are about the same $265 and $246. Also, any suggestions on a place for 

a good sandwich for lunch?

2 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

We will be cruising out of Manhattan on 9/1 and have reserved a room at the Embassy Suites and

the Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square South.  Does anyone have any comments or concerns 

about either property.  They are located within a few blocks of each other and not to far from

the Pier 88.  The rates are about the same $265 and $246. Also, any suggestions on a place for 

a good sandwich for lunch?

I have no personal experience of either hotel, but based purely on the location/ surrounding neighborhood, I would have a strong preference for the Embassy Suites.  

2 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

Does anyone have any comments or concerns 

about either property.

No issues with the properties from a safety or quality standpoint-- they're both relatively newer. The Embassy Suites will give you more room and is a little higher quality than the Hampton.

The only thing I would say as a former New Yorker, and as someone who's frequently back in the city on a nearly weekly basis, is that I avoid Times Square like the plague. So many nicer areas of town to be in.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

No issues with the properties from a safety or quality standpoint-- they're both relatively newer. The Embassy Suites will give you more room and is a little higher quality than the Hampton.

The only thing I would say as a former New Yorker, and as someone who's frequently back in the city on a nearly weekly basis, is that I avoid Times Square like the plague. So many nicer areas of town to be in.

Why would a tourist want to avoid Times Square. We stayed at the Martinique a great hotel and perfect location.

2 hours ago, Post Captain said:

I have no personal experience of either hotel, but based purely on the location/ surrounding neighborhood, I would have a strong preference for the Embassy Suites.  

Agreed. Embassy Suites walking distance to Bryant Park and several nice places to eat. 

We have stayed at both properties and like the Times Square South location.  Walking distance to both the Empire State Building and Rock Ctr.  We are native New Yorkers.  Juniors was a good suggestion.  Often very crowded.  We also like Ben's (38th St) in that area.

2 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We have stayed at both properties and like the Times Square South location.  Walking distance to both the Empire State Building and Rock Ctr.  We are native New Yorkers.  Juniors was a good suggestion.  Often very crowded.  We also like Ben's (38th St) in that area.

Juniors can be very crowded so two years ago they opened a second location only a couple of blocks from original in manhattan originally it’s a Brooklyn restaurant, shame stage and Carnegie deli have closed.

Thanks for all the comments.  It's our first time in Manhattan and will have lots to do in a short time. Are there any must see  sites that we should not miss?  We will only have a half a day on a Saturday to see the sites.  Looking

forward to our cruise into the New England and Canada ports.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:07 PM, Ashland said:

Why would a tourist want to avoid Times Square. We stayed at the Martinique a great hotel and perfect location.

Personal preference-- Times Square to people who live in NYC is a sort of outdoor theme park for tourists. Not really an authentic part of New York. I can understand why someone who has never been here before would want to see it, but its pretty soul crushing with the amount of chain restaurants, trinket stores, and crowds. My point was that there are many other, much more enjoyable parts of New York that are far more authentic. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Personal preference-- Times Square to people who live in NYC is a sort of outdoor theme park for tourists. Not really an authentic part of New York. I can understand why someone who has never been here before would want to see it, but its pretty soul crushing with the amount of chain restaurants, trinket stores, and crowds. My point was that there are many other, much more enjoyable parts of New York that are far more authentic. 

Exactly! 

One thing I've noticed in various NYC travel forums and in hotel listings is that the term "Times Square" tends to get used for places that aren't really in Times Square but are in fact a number of blocks away.  For example, I notice that the aforementioned Hampton Inn is designated as "Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square South."  I guess that sounds better than calling it the "Hampton Inn West 39th Street, just south of the Port Authority Bus Terminal."😁 

I chuckle at Ashland's mention of the Martinique as "a great hotel and a perfect location"--only because I well remember the days (in the 1980s) when this building was a decrepit SRO (single-room occupancy) welfare residence and the immediate area (Herald Square) was, shall we say, rather sketchy. Now it enjoys a certain cache as a four-star establishment whose full formal name is "Martinique New York on Broadway, Curio Collection by Hilton."  

21 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

Thanks for all the comments.  It's our first time in Manhattan and will have lots to do in a short time. Are there any must see  sites that we should not miss?  We will only have a half a day on a Saturday to see the sites.  Looking

Since you have such a short time you should stick to things close to your hotel. I would either do the Empire State Bldg, or Top of the Rock which is in Rockefeller Center and you get a view of the Empire State Bldg. My personal preference since you are short on time would be Rockefeller Center because the area surrounding is nicer plus you can also visit St Patrick’s Cathedral. 

After dark I would walk to Times Square to see all the lights. There’s really nothing like it in the world. Plus it’s free. lol. 

Your sailaway from Manhattan is wonderful. You’ll get a good view of Statue of Liberty. 

23 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

I didn't see if you had specific plans. From your hotel, you're really well situated for a walk up Fifth Avenue to Central Park. That lets you see the Empire State Building, the New York PUblic Library, Rockefeller Center, Saint Patricks, Top of the Rock as mentioned, Tiffany, etc. Easy detour to Grand Central Terminal if you choose. You're in a good location, outside the craziness of Times Square, but close enough to see it.

I will probably stay at the Embassy Suites and enjoy the evening drinks with the breakfast.  My wife suggests that we

stop at the Mood Fabric Store because it is used in one of her favorite tv shows on Bravo.  Empire State Building and the Rockefeller Center are top priorities, and then Saint Pats on Sunday morning before our cruise.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

I had booked the Embassy Suites late last year for our stay/cruise in mid August.  In reviewing comments of otherswho had stayed there I found that this is not a typical embassy suites. Most of the rooms do not have a separate bedroom and sitting area / kitchen. There is a sitting area within the studio rooms but the bed is separated from the space by a partial built-in room divider.

Because one of our party uses a wheelchair and we need space on both sides of the bed for both of us to be able to use the bed, I called the hotel to ask for additional information. They claim there is a small amount of space between the bed and the divider, but I'm concerned about whether it will be sufficient space on both sides of the bed to meet our needs.  Has anyone stay and one of the studio suites (WC accessible or not) who could tell me about the space between the bed and the divider?

I have trying to find out this information from various sources and have been unsuccessful but I'm going to need to make a decision on the room soon. So I would appreciate any information.

As a backup I've made a reservation at a Hampton inn times square Central hotel. If anyone has any information about this hotel, including location, I would appreciate it.  I may create a separate post in regard to this hotel as I realized that this thread topic header does not list this hotel.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:54 PM, Post Captain said:

Exactly! 

One thing I've noticed in various NYC travel forums and in hotel listings is that the term "Times Square" tends to get used for places that aren't really in Times Square but are in fact a number of blocks away.  For example, I notice that the aforementioned Hampton Inn is designated as "Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square South."  I guess that sounds better than calling it the "Hampton Inn West 39th Street, just south of the Port Authority Bus Terminal."😁 

I chuckle at Ashland's mention of the Martinique as "a great hotel and a perfect location"--only because I well remember the days (in the 1980s) when this building was a decrepit SRO (single-room occupancy) welfare residence and the immediate area (Herald Square) was, shall we say, rather sketchy. Now it enjoys a certain cache as a four-star establishment whose full formal name is "Martinique New York on Broadway, Curio Collection by Hilton."  

Glad I gave you a "chuckle". It's now a beautifully restored property...Actually a family friend is the developer who returned it to such. The spiral staircase....awesome when looking down from above.

12 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

I had booked the Embassy Suites late last year for our stay/cruise in mid August.  In reviewing comments of otherswho had stayed there I found that this is not a typical embassy suites. Most of the rooms do not have a separate bedroom and sitting area / kitchen. There is a sitting area within the studio rooms but the bed is separated from the space by a partial built-in room divider.

Because one of our party uses a wheelchair and we need space on both sides of the bed for both of us to be able to use the bed, I called the hotel to ask for additional information. They claim there is a small amount of space between the bed and the divider, but I'm concerned about whether it will be sufficient space on both sides of the bed to meet our needs.  Has anyone stay and one of the studio suites (WC accessible or not) who could tell me about the space between the bed and the divider?

I have trying to find out this information from various sources and have been unsuccessful but I'm going to need to make a decision on the room soon. So I would appreciate any information.

As a backup I've made a reservation at a Hampton inn times square Central hotel. If anyone has any information about this hotel, including location, I would appreciate it.  I may create a separate post in regard to this hotel as I realized that this thread topic header does not list this hotel.

Did you request a handicapped accessible room? It has to be ADA compliant if it is such a room. 

I did reserve a wheelchair accessible room with a roll-in shower.  And yes such hotel roomsrooms are supposed to be ADA compliant.  However you would be surprised at how many times we have entered the reserved room to find out it isn't completely ADA compliant. And this has happened at many top hotel brands.

And once we get to the room, if we find out it's not adequate, it's very difficult to locate another ADA room with a roll-in shower at the last minute.  We would rather avoid any issues.