Live - Independence of the Seas - 15 June 2019 - 29 June 2019

2 hours ago, kernow said:

I don't think it had anything to do with tipping on our cruise, there were just a lack of staff to serve the number of people. We were tipping a dollar a drink and still had to go up to the bar to be served.

Just maybe, the servers were scarce because unlike you, most were not tipping?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I've seen this situation on several other ships since the advent of the drink packages.  Consider the Main Dining Room - virtually no roving bar servers there anymore.

Another possible cause is the fact that Royal keeps adding staterooms and not adding crew.  I know the stateroom attendants typically get a few more rooms to cover when the ship has staterooms added.

• Thanks 1

5 hour journey home but made it in one piece. We got off the ship at 6.15am with our own luggage and on the road at 6.40am. 

We we both had a great cruise, regardless of the little niggles here and there. Our favourite cruise line is still Celebrity but Royal Caribbean is up there as well. 

Those of you who are going on soon, have a great time. 

All the best

ian

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jaz33 said:

5 hour journey home but made it in one piece. We got off the ship at 6.15am with our own luggage and on the road at 6.40am. 

We we both had a great cruise, regardless of the little niggles here and there. Our favourite cruise line is still Celebrity but Royal Caribbean is up there as well. 

All the best

ian

We are thinking of doing self disembarkation for the first time in September as we have an early flight from Southampton Airport.  (In the past we have used RCCL transfer).  Are there plenty of taxis around at 6.15am or would I be better booking one in advance.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Bizzie07 said:

We are thinking of doing self disembarkation for the first time in September as we have an early flight from Southampton Airport.  (In the past we have used RCCL transfer).  Are there plenty of taxis around at 6.15am or would I be better booking one in advance.  Thanks

I saw a few taxis but I think they were pre booked.  It might be worth checking if Uber work in the area or finding a local firm you could call before debarkation.  

11 hours ago, jaz33 said:

I saw a few taxis but I think they were pre booked.  It might be worth checking if Uber work in the area or finding a local firm you could call before debarkation.  

Thank you.  I'll make sure I book.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:55 AM, jmnathan said:

We're on Indy at the end of July (27th) so following this with interest. 

We have expedited boarding and I am wondering how good it will be. We're planning to arrive around midday (driving down from the Watford area) so not sure what queues will be like at that time anyway. I ready that you get expedited boarding so long as you check in via the app. Wouldn't most people do this if offered?

Really excited for our first time on Indy :classic_biggrin:

We had expedited arrival May 25 and arrived at our allotted 12.30pm time.

They didn't appear to understand what it was as at first and we were asked to stand in a longish queue.

After explaining to the lady we were D+ and had checked in and had photos on the app and also had printed our set sail pass she sent us through the priority security queue which took us a few minutes then we were boarding Independence shortly afterwards.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

We found on our cruise immediately after Julie's (Kernow) there was big queues at GS and people stopping their tips.

As a very pro-tipper I found this disappointing and this must have a disheartening effect on crew and yes your question is probably true.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, jaz33 said:

All the best

ian

Thanks for your great review.

Graham.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bizzie07 said:

Plenty of taxis but we always use Radio Taxis as the price is around half what the regular taxis charge.

If you ring them they will text you the car registration number and make.

Southampton Airport is around 20-25 minutes away and is tiny.

14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Plenty of taxis but we always use Radio Taxis as the price is around half what the regular taxis charge.

If you ring them they will text you the car registration number and make.

Southampton Airport is around 20-25 minutes away and is tiny.

Thank you....that's good to know.