Fun things to do with a 7 year old?

PSU_Redhead

Hey everyone! Please forgive me if this has been asked already. I tried searching, but was struggling with the search feature!

I just booked a "mommy and me" trip for my 7 year old son and I. He really wanted an itinerary that included the Perfect Day at Coco Cay. The itinerary also includes a day at Key West. I've been there several times before, but it was always with adults - and we always hit up Duval Street for drinks! So now I need to change gears and find something good for my son and I to do. Any recommendations for fun, appropriate things to do with him?

Thanks very much!!

Not having young children, the things that come to mind are..the aquarium, butterfly museum, and lunch at Waterfront Brewery as they have a family game room for kids. I have never been, but have heard good things about Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden.

You can always go the short walk to Lagerheads Beach bar for a quick swim to cool off. Here is a quick video to show you the way.

• Like 1

One of my favorite pictures of my kids is them standing at the Southernmost Point.  Part of the charm of the photo is that they were so little and all decked out in hats and sunglasses.

This blog post, Things to Do in Key West with Kids, also has a pretty good summary.  It's a bit dated but provides some additional ideas and detail for some of the others mentioned above.

Does your son like cats?  Or maybe old houses?  Or both?  Then I'm sure he'll love the Hemingway Museum.  There are cats walking around all over the museum and you can pet them.  Most are friendly: they'll let you pet them, but they won't react by rubbing their head against you, either.  Probably because they're human'ed out by all the tourists.  The admission costs $12, and it includes access most parts of the house, narrated tours by employees, and petting the cats.

The house has steep stairs, which may be hard for a child to climb.  Letting you know.