More Trip Insurance Questions

flutprop

I am taking my Mother In Law with us on a Thanksgiving Cruise. She has had one vacation in the last 10 years as she takes care of her husband with dementia, and has worked herself into the hospital with exhaustion a couple times. Her husband has other medical problems, but nothing new that I am aware of, but their doctor has suggested placing her husband on hospice so they can get more assistance with his care. No paperwork has been submitted to Medicare yet, but it made me realize I better confirm things with her trip insurance coverage.

We have "reserved" standard insurance for our Mexico cruise, but not paid for it yet. PIF date is late August.  So, a few questions that maybe you all can help to answer before I ask Aon. Most of my questions would be specific to any change in my father in law health causing a cancellation, not in my mother in law.

1. Since FIL is not cruising, and not on the insurance, does the 60 day look back period apply?

2. If it does apply to him, I assume we should pay for her insurance before the date they sign the hospice application papers, correct?

3. MIL is booked into a room with DS11. If she cancels after PIF date, what happens with DS booking?, as I imagine he can not sail in a cabin alone (It is a connecting cabin to mine and my husbands)

I feel like I had other questions, but that is all I can come up with now.

I think it is best that you call the insurance company direct and ask these questions. Here is their number:  

1-877-846-8833 or 1-516-342-2720

I am also confused when someone stays home, if the 60 day look back refers to them. I have received 2 different answers from Princess insurance in reference to this (many years ago) - so much so I stopped buying this. Though if it does apply to them, it doesn't matter if he is in hospice or not since he is still sick. Though one can always cancel for any reason and get a credit in the future.

Call direct to get exact answers.

• Like 1

Call the insurance company, but as far as I know, you can not get travel insurance that will pay for an incident for someone in a life threatening (illness or accident) situation......be it you with cancer going on your last trip when normal expectations would be that you might pass during or before the cruise.....or the death or incapacitation of someone at home who is already in a situation where death or incapacitation is reasonably expected.   (note; probably not eloquently stated...but if someone is in a hospice, the insurance company is not going to pay if that person takes a turn to the worse).  The lookback period just doesn't apply to these situations....  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Princess Cancel for any reason would cover cancellation only with a refund, the rest, like trip interruption??

Cancel for any reason would provide credit towards another cruise.

15 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Call the insurance company, but as far as I know, you can not get travel insurance that will pay for an incident for someone in a life threatening (illness or accident) situation......be it you with cancer going on your last trip when normal expectations would be that you might pass during or before the cruise.....or the death or incapacitation of someone at home who is already in a situation where death or incapacitation is reasonably expected.   (note; probably not eloquently stated...but if someone is in a hospice, the insurance company is not going to pay if that person takes a turn to the worse).  The lookback period just doesn't apply to these situations....  

That is part of my concern. I will have to sit down with my MIL and see what she wants to do. I don't think FIL will have any medical changes in the next few months, so the only reason for a cancellation, or leaving the trip early would be something sudden.

I will also take the time to call the insurance and ask some questions about their policies. At least she could credit for a future cruise if she needs to cancel.

The Princess “insurance” is really two different parts, only one of which is actual insurance.  

The cancellation coverage is a fee waiver program by Princess, not actual insurance by Aon.  A cancellation for a covered reason gets a refund in cash. The covered reasons are very limited, mostly for medical, and those are subject to the 60 day look back.  There is no way to determine in advance if a potential situation will or will not be covered. This can only be determined by a claims adjuster after the fact.  In my experience, timing of your policy purchase is irrelevant now that hospice has already been recommended. It is a foreseen event at this point, and subject to PEC limits.

This is why many people end up using the CFAR portion of this program, which results in a credit for future use.  There are no hoops to jump through or proof to provide.  But there are expiry dates and future insurance clauses to be aware of.

Do be aware that the trip interruption coverage (leaving the trip early) is under a different section of the Princess plan. It is actual insurance, subject to the terms and conditions of the insurance policy. One of those conditions is an Unforeseen event.  But PEC does not apply to non-traveling family members for trip interruption.  

As for question 3, your son cannot travel alone at his age in the cabin.  Do you plan to go regardless of what MIL does?  Would you consider using the CFAR for yourselves?  If MIL cancels and you don’t,  would you plan to rebook as a triple cabin or keep two cabins and refare one as a single??  There are potential issues with both approaches,  but there are some things you can do now to minimize the impact. (Switch names on bookings,  verify or move to a triple capacity cabin).

Wishing you good luck on navigating this very complex issue.

2 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

This is why many people end up using the CFAR portion of this program, which results in a credit for future use.  There are no hoops to jump through or proof to provide.  But there are expiry dates and future insurance clauses to be aware of.

can you skip directly to the CFAR future cruise credit ... or must all claims be submitted to AON first, then rejected, then sent on to Princess ?

• Haha 1

I believe you can use the CFAR directly. I have heard of people being asked to file the claim form first; I believe they may have mentioned a medical reason for cancellation and that mention may have triggered the need for the form. I know others (personally) who cancelled and did not fill out a form, but went straight to asking for the credit at the cancellation call saying it was not an insurable reason.