Moon Hopes

Observer

I understand that construction on the Silver Moon  is underway. But it ought not to be too late to register some hopes/wishes for new features on that ship. I’m not talking about major structural matters or including waterslides and climbing walls. 😊  rather, I am thinking of features that might fairly easily be added even now.  

I should say that I have cruised a good deal on the stretched Spirit and visited Muse briefly when she was in port.  It may be that the features I will mention now are included on Muse and are likely to be on Moon. 

First hope: could we do away with door tags requesting service or privacy and have a simple electronic mechanism where one can register these requests by turning the switch inside the cabin?  The corresponding light would appear outside. On a recent Spirit cruise  I observed —and chastised — kids for randomly turning over the signs as they walked down the corridor. 

Second hope: I gather there will be another thermal suite available for a surcharge. The current arrangement is laughable. Access is not monitored. People can simply walk in from the gym.  Paying guests can arrive to find that all of the heated chairs are taken (in one case several months ago by a couple boasting that they never paid and had only once been discovered and turned out.). It should not be impossible to have access to the thermal suite controlled by use of the key card.   Another suggestion was that  bracelets be given when one paid the fee –  say a yellow bracelet for a weeklong purchase and a red bracelet for a daily purchase. 

Other thoughts? 

I totally agree with you about the hanging door tags.  Not only do they not fit the handle, but for those of us with poor eyesight, it is impossible to tell which side is which without glasses.  At the very least, put a red side and a green side and make the tags fit the handle.

I want Indochine instead of SALT... but know that isn’t going to happen. I originally said that was a deal breaker but now have 2 Moon cruises booked.

Hope they sort out the best spacing for Dolce Vita. Didn’t use it on the Muse.

Don't worry les37b dishes that were on the menu in Indochine on the Muse in Feb were on the MDR menu on the Wind in May just not every day.The one dish that I had that was on both menus was much nicer on the Wind.

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

Don't worry les37b dishes that were on the menu in Indochine on the Muse in Feb were on the MDR menu on the Wind in May just not every day.The one dish that I had that was on both menus was much nicer on the Wind.

Its funny you should say that. The curry dish that was in the MDR menu 3 nights in a row on the Wind in April was exactly what I had! 

Plus the “special” meal we had for 6 on the second to last evening.... 

Though the Indonchine variety would have been preferred..... I struggled to choose as I liked it all!

i guess on the caribbean moon  cruise we booked, SALT may well have curried goat on the menu! On that note, I’m wondering what SALT will produce on the TA.

• 3 weeks later...

Responding to Observer's wishlist, I forwarded the door tags idea, to a senior level within HQ, and received a reply that this was an excellent idea which had been forwarded to the New Build team.  We all live in hope!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

3 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Responding to Observer's wishlist, I forwarded the door tags idea, to a senior level within HQ, and received a reply that this was an excellent idea which had been forwarded to the New Build team.  We all live in hope!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Remarkable.  Thanks for forwarding the idea.  I am booked on Moon and would be pleasantly surprised to find this feature incorporated.  In fact, I would be stupefied.  It would be like winning the lottery. I have never had one of my (too many?) ideas implemented.  Incidentally, the idea was not original with me.  Such electronic notices are a feature on Crystal ocean ships -- and perhaps other lines.

Dear Observer & Stumblefoot

As I said we will all live in hope!!

Observer you do not say when you are booked on the Moon?

I am on the inaugural on August 6 2020, so hopefully I will be able to end your stupefaction then!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Observer you do not say when you are booked on the Moon?

I prefer to travel well under the radar, and thus I generally try not to discuss the specifics of my cruising.  Suffice it to say that I am booked on Moon well after the inaugural sailing.  I think I have always successfully avoided booking inaugural sailings and sailings immediately after dry docks (on any line).  Risk aversion runs deep in my personality. 🙂 

Passive safety design considerations arise, and are particularly useful when the average passenger is older:

- little or no step from suite bathroom to hall. 

- doors easier to push open or close. 

- carpet design change at exit stairs or  evacuation doors. Smoke rises, so signs may not be visible. 

- telephone in bathrooms lowered so that a person who has fallen and cannot stand can access it. 

- create a vestibule in Thor’s Observation Lounge at the port door that leads to the stairs going up.  Cold winds blow through the lounge, and the current door is noisy when it closes. 

- avoid steep gangway situations by using Deck 3 entrance more often when that is at dock level instead of Deck 5 when that is higher. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

May I add another hope -- one that may be controversial:

Provide largish wall-mounted containers of shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel in shower and at bath tub, replacing the smallish plastic containers currently provided.  Bvlgari would be the default, but a couple of other brands would be installed by butler on request.

Some rationale: 

• I think the current disposable plastic bottles are ecologically bad.
  • They slip out of my hands while showering.
  • Given vision issues,I have a difficult time distinguishing the greenish shampoo from the body gel.  If they were in a fixed place this would be less of a problem
  • The current bottles are easily exhausted and need to be replaced frequently if two people are taking two showers a day.
  • Etc.

There might be some economies for SS associated with such a move.  But that is not my motivation in making this suggestion.

Though I would be delighted to be disappointed, I do not expect this suggestion to be greeted by universal agreement.

8 hours ago, Observer said:

May I add another hope -- one that may be controversial:

Provide largish wall-mounted containers of shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel in shower and at bath tub, replacing the smallish plastic containers currently provided.  Bvlgari would be the default, but a couple of other brands would be installed by butler on request.

Some rationale: 

• Given vision issues,I have a difficult time distinguishing the greenish shampoo from the body gel.  If they were in a fixed place this would be less of a problem
  • The current bottles are easily exhausted and need to be replaced frequently if two people are taking two showers a day.
  • Etc.

There might be some economies for SS associated with such a move.  But that is not my motivation in making this suggestion.

Though I would be delighted to be disappointed, I do not expect this suggestion to be greeted by universal agreement.

What you are suggesting is more in keeping with a public washroom than a bathroom on a luxury cruise line. The large wall mounted containers always seem to get messy, look and may well be unhygienic, and would create yet more work for the suite attendant. I agree with your comment about the colour of the body gel and shampoo, but that may be out of SS’s control.

Apart from the door fob idea and suite soundproofing issue we are pretty happy with the Muse design.

On a personal note it would be nice to see some ‘real’ art around the Moon, along with a perusable catalogue of the items.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

What you are suggesting is more in keeping with a public washroom than a bathroom on a luxury cruise line. The large wall mounted containers always seem to get messy, look and may well be unhygienic, and would create yet more work for the suite attendant. I agree with your comment about the colour of the body gel and shampoo, but that may be out of SS’s control.

Apart from the door fob idea and suite soundproofing issue we are pretty happy with the Muse design.

On a personal note it would be nice to see some ‘real’ art around the Moon, along with a perusable catalogue of the items.

Thanks for your comments.  

My post was prompted by a newspaper article stating that an announcement would be made shortly that all IHG hotels (including the luxury Intercontinental hotels) would be removing individual, disposable soap containers.  As I recall, Silversea currently provides a pump dispenser of soap on the bathroom sinks in the suites.  I think the pressure will grow to move in this direction.

I hope (and believe) that, with your suggestion for a catalog, you are not proposing a return to intrusive art sales on Moon, with a catalog of prices, a resident art expert, courting people in bars, etc.  In another thread, Terry reports that the cobbler is resident in La Dolce Vita (rather than on the pool deck) throughout his cruise.  I have little reason to believe you are, but please don't encourage this incipient trend. 🙂  

13 hours ago, Observer said:

Some rationale: 

•  

Yet another person conned by marketing.

There really isn't enough difference between 'shampoo' and 'shower gel' to worry about which one you pick up. Pretty much all liquid detergents are the same and do the same job, they just have slight differences of colour, smell and consistency. 

I think the little bottles are ecologically bad so I just line my first set up in a row and leave them there. I use solid bar soap for everything - washing me, my hair, my undies - works just fine. It's what I do at home, I haven't had a plastic bottle cluttering up my shower in years.

Free your mind from the indoctrination of advertisers and try it. It makes travelling with only carry on (as I do) much easier too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Observer said:

Thanks for your comments.  

My post was prompted by a newspaper article stating that an announcement would be made shortly that all IHG hotels (including the luxury Intercontinental hotels) would be removing individual, disposable soap containers.  As I recall, Silversea currently provides a pump dispenser of soap on the bathroom sinks in the suites.  I think the pressure will grow to move in this direction.

I hope (and believe) that, with your suggestion for a catalog, you are not proposing a return to intrusive art sales on Moon, with a catalog of prices, a resident art expert, courting people in bars, etc.  In another thread, Terry reports that the cobbler is resident in La Dolce Vita (rather than on the pool deck) throughout his cruise.  I have little reason to believe you are, but please don't encourage this incipient trend. 🙂  

I didn’t mention prices. What I found frustrating on the Muse is that apart from the art in the Arts Cafe and the ‘stunning’ print of ‘The Boss’ in Dolce Vita, no one on the ship knows who produced the art that is liberally scattered around the ship, there is no explanation whatever.

2 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I didn’t mention prices. What I found frustrating on the Muse is that apart from the art in the Arts Cafe and the ‘stunning’ print of ‘The Boss’ in Dolce Vita, no one on the ship knows who produced the art that is liberally scattered around the ship, there is no explanation whatever.

I was confident you were not advocating art auctions!  🙂 You make a very reasonable point, though the issue you properly raise could perhaps equally be addressed by installing labels next to each item.  In any case, I agree that it deserves to be addressed.

• Like 1