What, if any, adapters should I bring

PaulaM03

I am going on the Silver Spirit in October as a first time cruiser. I will be coming from NI/UK and want to know if I should bring any plug adapters to charge mobile, toothbrush, battery for camera, iPod etc.

If you have a US adapter, and a European two prong adapter, you’ll be set for the majority of ships and their outlets.  I’ve got a couple of sets, packaged together as one of each.

I used to use a universal adapter, but they’re a bit heavy and large, so the prongs don’t always fit tightly into older US outlets, and they fall out, or don’t fit in crowded areas.

A7DECBB4-1960-456A-A0E7-7F7700D2760E.jpeg

Edited by lisiamc

13 hours ago, PaulaM03 said:

I am going on the Silver Spirit in October as a first time cruiser. I will be coming from NI/UK and want to know if I should bring any plug adapters to charge mobile, toothbrush, battery for camera, iPod etc.

Suggest asking your question on the Silversea Board, where more pax will have sailed on the vessel.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/108-silversea-cruises/

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Suggest asking your question on the Silversea Board, where more pax will have sailed on the vessel.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/108-silversea-cruises/

Very good advice!  We have sailed on Silver Spirit and Silver Cloud, so I was working from memory and logic. 

Fortunately, those are the two types of outlets on Silver Spirit 😊.  Here is a post from the Silver Sea forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2306521-silversea-electric-plugs/.  

Edited by lisiamc

38 minutes ago, skrufy said:

With everything these days charged by USB. We bring a  6 port USB charger.

Good thought, but won’t you still need to plug that into a wall outlet?  Then you’ll still need an adapter if you’re from the UK, like the OP.

Edited by lisiamc

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

Good thought, but won’t you still need to plug that into a wall outlet?  Then you’ll still need an adapter if you’re from the UK, like the OP.

Yes, you will need an adaptor for all your plug in devices. We used to bring a strip plug in and attach all our USB devices to it. The USB charger is more compact 

They make a "universal adapter."  You can plug it into a US, UK, Euro, or Aussie outlet.  And plug any of those plugs into it.

You can get one with a 2 port USB charger in it also.

I am using one as I type.  I got my from Amazon.

GREAT for travel.

Edited by SRF

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

They make a "universal adapter."  You can plug it into a US, UK, Euro, or Aussie outlet.  And plug any of those plugs into it.

You can get one with a 2 port USB charger in it also.

I am using one as I type.  I got my from Amazon.

GREAT for travel.

I have one, but I stopped using it.  I used it mostly for adapting UK or EU plugs to USA outlets, but because USA prongs are short, and often fit fairly loosely into the outlet, it frequently fell out.  I spent a lot of time finding things to prop it up with, and now I mostly leave it at home.  I suspect it works better for plugging USA plugs into UK and EU outlets, since both of those use bigger prongs and tend to fit more tightly.

I have used mine in US, Euro, UK, and Aussie outlets.

I have the most trouble with Euro outlets.

But there are more than one of these available, so the one you have, may not be the same as the one I have.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:15 AM, skrufy said:

With everything these days charged by USB. We bring a  6 port USB charger.

And a large portable battery, like 10000 for phones, cameras and ease of moving around.  Especially if you still need a charge and they unplug it

• 3 weeks later...

On most cruise lines I have been on, both US/110V/flat and EU/220V/round were available in the suite. I have never seen those UK outlets, but I never really looked for it. if your plugs are with 3 pins, I would bring some of those converters 3-pin to round. (same voltage if I am not mistaken)

• 1 month later...

Every cruise ship I have been on has at least one socket for US and one for European connections (British DC type, usually). I also bring a short non-surge 3 plug strip with USB sockets which ensures I can plug in anything and my tablet/camera/phone.

• Like 1