Fjord Cruise Port Changes; thoughts?

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

Hellesylt is often a departure-only port for tours traveling overland you Geiranger. The two times I’ve visited, only tour passengers departed. If you have an independent tour to Geiranger it may be possible to disembark, but I’ve never tried because I prefer to enjoy the fjord sailing and spend time in/around Geiranger itself.

So, it's basically a sea day in all but the name. Would you agree with that?

While on the ship there, is there good scenery to view?

20 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So, it's basically a sea day in all but the name. Would you agree with that?

While on the ship there, is there good scenery to view?

No - the ship stops in Hellesylt and people use tenders to get off. They return to the ship in Gerianger.

Those who stay on the ship have a beautiful sail into Gerianger. Many get off in Gerianger for tours. The ship arrived in Gerianger much earlier than scheduled.

It is a gorgeous area. The sail into and out of Gerianger is beautiful.  I got off in Hellesylt. A lot of us did. I don't know of anyone who stayed on the ship all day.

You don't want to stay on the ship when in Gerianger. You will want to get off. If you don't want to do a tour, there are some nice hikes to waterfalls nearby.

Edited by Coral

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

it's basically a sea day

Absolutely not - a visit to Geiranger offers fantastic experiences of nature and stunning views from viewpoints that overlook the fjord and the mountains.
 You vacancy take a bus to Dalsnibba viewpoint with the viewing platform ‘Geiranger Skyway’ situated about 1500 metres above sea level. Also tours to Flydalsjuvet
and Ørnesvingen - fantastic view of snow covered mountains and the Geirangerfjord below. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Not at all. The ship is docked (or anchored) in Geiranger all afternoon.

One day is scheduled there with only two hours and a shuttle. The NEXT day we are scheduled for Geiranger, IIRC for 8 hours and no tender needed.

So repeating my earlier question is the Hellysylt day basically really a sea day? 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

So repeating my earlier question is the Hellysylt day basically really a sea day?

Hellesylt and Geiranger is the same day - the stop in Hellesylt is only a technical stop for guest on excursions starting in Hellesylt and ending in a Geiranger (I assume) - the ship does continue for a stop during afternoon in Geiranger - the tours to the view points in Geiranger are less than two hours.

The sailing from Hellesylt to Geiranger is scenic - don’t miss the ‘Seven Sisters Waterfall’ (Picture in previous post) just before arrival in Geiranger.

sailing Storfjord and Geiranger Fjord is very scenic - be at the deck very early when sailing Storfjord,

Edited by hallasm

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Hellesylt and Geiranger is the same day - the stop in Hellesylt is only a technical stop for guest on excursions starting in Hellesylt and ending in a Geiranger (I assume) - the ship does continue for a stop during afternoon in Geiranger - the tours to the view points in Geiranger are less than two hours.

The sailing from Hellesylt to Geiranger is scenic - don’t miss the ‘Seven Sisters Waterfall’ (Picture in previous post) just before arrival in Geiranger.

sailing Storfjord and Geiranger Fjord is very scenic - be at the deck very early when sailing Storfjord,

Yes, my bad. I checked the itinerary. And you are right they are the same day. 

On 10/20/2019 at 8:24 AM, Coral said:

No - the ship stops in Hellesylt and people use tenders to get off. They return to the ship in Gerianger.

Those who stay on the ship have a beautiful sail into Gerianger. Many get off in Gerianger for tours. The ship arrived in Gerianger much earlier than scheduled.

It is a gorgeous area. The sail into and out of Gerianger is beautiful.  I got off in Hellesylt. A lot of us did. I don't know of anyone who stayed on the ship all day.

You don't want to stay on the ship when in Gerianger. You will want to get off. If you don't want to do a tour, there are some nice hikes to waterfalls nearby.

Can you get off the ship and make it back on time for the sailing to Gieranger?

Before I realized how short the time was listed for the port and the water shuttle, I researched things to do in the port. I found in Helysylt the Peer Gynt Gallery. DW is an art teacher, and I'm sure we would both find it fascinating.

58 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Before I realized how short the time was listed for the port and the water shuttle, I researched things to do in the port. I found in Helysylt the Peer Gynt Gallery. DW is an art teacher, and I'm sure we would both find it fascinating.

I don't believe that you can get off unless you are on a tour that ends in Geiranger, and you might even be limited to ship's tours only.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

With Princess, they limited it to those with their tours.

Also realize that after everyone got off, the ship left for Geiranger. It didn't just sit there for the entire time - it was on it's way.

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I don't believe that you can get off unless you are on a tour that ends in Geiranger, and you might even be limited to ship's tours only.

I went and looked at the excursions, and they were all for Geiranger .

1 hour ago, Coral said:

With Princess, they limited it to those with their tours.

Also realize that after everyone got off, the ship left for Geiranger. It didn't just sit there for the entire time - it was on it's way.

I guess we are not going to see that museum.

I wondered if you could get off and then take a bus to Geiranger, but I guess not.

It does read 8AM to 10 AM, so I did not realize they left as soon as the excursion passengers were off the ship.

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I wondered if you could get off and then take a bus to Geiranger, but I guess not.

It does read 8AM to 10 AM, so I did not realize they left as soon as the excursion passengers were off the ship.

I know our Princess ship got to Gerianger much earlier than expected. The people I spoke to said they left as soon as everyone was off. I got off. If I was to go again, I would stay on the ship to sail into Geriangerfjord. My pictures on the sail out were into the sun.

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If you can get off the ship in Hellesylt there is a ferry service from Hellesylt to geiranger - price per person is NOK 300.

Sailing the same route as the cruise ship to Geiranger.

Skærmbillede 2019-10-22 kl. 09.27.02.png

Edited by hallasm

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

If you can get off the ship in Hellesylt there is a ferry service from Hellesylt to geiranger - price per person is NOK 300.

Skærmbillede 2019-10-22 kl. 09.27.02.png

How much does that translate into US dollars?

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

What would be the advantage of the ferry rather than sailing with the ship to Geiranger?

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

What would be the advantage of the ferry rather than sailing with the ship to Geiranger?

Not possible to take the ship once disembarked in Hellesylt.
Might be different for cruise lines however it’s only possible to disembark in Hellesylt - as soon as passengers who want to start an excursion in Hellesylt has left the ship it will continue to Geiranger. Hence only ferry - not possible by land except by planned excursion, taxi or hired car - it’s a 2h 20 min drive (125 km) - ferry is an hour.

11 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I am not sure which line you are going with but before you get too involved in this, check with the line that you can actually get off. Princess did not allow people to get off unless they had a tour with them.

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Not possible to take the ship once disembarked in Hellesylt.
Might be different for cruise lines however it’s only possible to disembark in Hellesylt - as soon as passengers who want to start an excursion in Hellesylt has left the ship it will continue to Geiranger. Hence only ferry - not possible by land except by planned excursion, taxi or hired car - it’s a 2h 20 min drive (125 km) - ferry is an hour.

This is correct for the Princess cruise I was on. Once they disembarked passengers on tours, the ship left for Gerianger. 

12 hours ago, Coral said:

I am not sure which line you are going with but before you get too involved in this, check with the line that you can actually get off. Princess did not allow people to get off unless they had a tour with them.

We will be on Princess, and getting off at this port is beginning to sound more and more unlikely.