WOW YC prices went up quickly

floridian1

6 hours ago, floridian1 said:

Looking to book next summer MSC yacht club and it's 2k more for 4 people than what I paid for this summer, same ship. Do prices fluctuate at all or will it keep going up? Is this the new norm?

Prices fluctuate according to demand.  

6 hours ago, floridian1 said:

Looking to book next summer MSC yacht club and it's 2k more for 4 people than what I paid for this summer, same ship. Do prices fluctuate at all or will it keep going up? Is this the new norm?

Prices have definitely been rising.  If that keeps up, I believe they will price themselves out of the market.  Yacht Club is a good experience on an otherwise overcrowded ship.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Prices have definitely been rising.  If that keeps up, I believe they will price themselves out of the market.  Yacht Club is a good experience on an otherwise overcrowded ship.

Very well put. Truly. NCL did this in 2016.  They are selling the equivalent to the deluxe suite (Haven Courtyard) at close to 5000 for 7-9 days in some cases with less to offer overall, and they have record bookings and profits. 

I wouldnt sail MSC if not in YC, I’d be on other carriers. Way too many people on these ships (Seaside at 5000) 

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

All ships are overcrowded once you have been in the YC (or Haven)

• Like 1

I read somewhere that MSC realized that the Haven people saw how much cheaper the YC is, I being one of them, and because people were booking YC, raised their prices accordingly. We are on MSC to Canada this October in YC Deluxe Suite. I paid around 2400 pp. I checked for same ship, almost same day and same itinerary for 2020 and it was doubled. This is probably going to be a one and done for us on MSC and I’m sorry about that because I loved the idea of the YC. We are already priced out of the Haven for my taste but I wonder if this is happening because of ex NCL moving over to MSC. Just saying🤔

• Like 3

15 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

I read somewhere that MSC realized that the Haven people saw how much cheaper the YC is, I being one of them, and because people were booking YC, raised their prices accordingly. We are on MSC to Canada this October in YC Deluxe Suite. I paid around 2400 pp. I checked for same ship, almost same day and same itinerary for 2020 and it was doubled. This is probably going to be a one and done for us on MSC and I’m sorry about that because I loved the idea of the YC. We are already priced out of the Haven for my taste but I wonder if this is happening because of ex NCL moving over to MSC. Just saying🤔

I agree.  I'm not a Haven person, don't sail NCL.  My comparison point is to suites on Celebrity.  If Yacht Club starts costing way more than they do, they've lost me.  That was the appeal--a suite experience for less than I pay on Celebrity.  MSC does the ship within a ship concept better than Celebrity, in my opinion, but the rest of the ship is not to my taste, too big and too crowded.  And there's no comparison between the two suite restaurants, Celebrity wins hands down on that one.  So we shall see what transpires.  Also, MSC currently has less than inspiring itineraries out of Miami.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

In December we booked a fourteen day Caribbean cruise on the Seaside, sailing this October. We paid a little over $5,300 for the two of us in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. Like stated, the 2020 price is almost doubled. We were die heart Celebrity fans (440 days at sea until about three years ago when the cuts started coming and the price continued to climb. We refused to lower our standards plus pay more so money so we moved on. FYI, when we booked this cruise we checked pricing on a similar cruise on Celebrity and found the same length cruise in a Sky Suite (entry level suite), was almost double what we paid.

27 minutes ago, Nextcruise42 said:

I booked the YC well over a year ago for Oct. 2019 . I couldn't resist the price which was so much better than NCL haven. The Meravighlia looks beautiful but next years pricing may not work for us in the future.

Are you by chance on the 10/8?   We booked it June 2018 as soon as I heard about it and  it was something around 2750 each. Then we got status matched to Black which gave us 5% and then 15% as it is a select voyage. Price pp went down to ~2300. 

I always check for price drops periodically and noticed one time as we got closer to the date that YC deluxe suite was sold out but I could get an YC interior for close to 3000 pp.  Crazy pricing. 

It seems to really differ by itinerary - we have a 2020 cruise booked on Seaside in YC, price for a deluxe YC suite per adult was $2,189 + taxes.  Checking again, the price has increased by $600 for the same itinerary.  However, the same date in 2021 is $2,389 - which isn't too high.  Where it makes a big difference is that our kids fares were $150 + taxes, now for future bookings I can't seem to find kid fares under about $600 + taxes.

Between the pricing and cutbacks (especially drink pkgs), I believe MSC is shooting itself in the foot.The YC is the only way to go on MSC because the passenger rate is much too high on the rest of the ship. They had a good thing going, and probably would have kept them if the YC stayed reasonable, other than inside.The Aurea experience drink pkg is now almost useless, and that used to be a decent alternative because of the private sun deck. It seems they are trying to copy NCL in pricing, but in the long run I doubt if it will work. NCL has been around a long time and has a following. MSC in he U.S. is the new kid on the block and they don't have the LOYAL following. At the rate they are going, I don't think they will get the loyalty. Just my opinion, having sailed MSC twice. Once in YC and once in Aurea.

Thanks, Nextcruise42, it would have been nice if we happened to be on the same cruise. 

deliver42, I whole heartedly agree with you. We are Platinum Plus (17 cruises) on NCL but are just so tired of their ‘just extended’ unending promos and their uncaring attitude for loyal cruisers that we decided to move on hoping MSC would fit the bill with their YC which is why I have booked Meraviglia. With all that I am reading on CC about their new, not so great YC menus, drink packages and crowing on the ship, I am wondering if it was a mistake. For the price I paid I’m sure it would be worth it but now looking elsewhere for cruises. 

5 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

It seems to really differ by itinerary - we have a 2020 cruise booked on Seaside in YC, price for a deluxe YC suite per adult was $2,189 + taxes.  Checking again, the price has increased by $600 for the same itinerary.  However, the same date in 2021 is $2,389 - which isn't too high.  Where it makes a big difference is that our kids fares were $150 + taxes, now for future bookings I can't seem to find kid fares under about $600 + taxes.

I looked for 2021 prices on MSC website and couldn’t booked 2021.  Just went through 2020 for the Seaside

For those of us who have sailed in YC before, have we thought about that MSC purposely under priced YC just to lure customers, especially in the US market?  Now that YC is becoming more popular and better known, is it really that surprising MSC is now raising YC fares?

That said, bargains can still be had with YC.  I am booked on a Med cruise this Oct and YC1 was $17xx pp on a 7-night.  Yeah, it’s on an older ship (Fantasia) but I like YC for its service and exclusive areas.  Smaller cabins don’t bother me.

• Like 1

Price and popularity are up -- went to look for YC in Dec 2020 -- all sold out for Miami sailings.

Also looked at YC March break in 2021 and it was $3000 more than what I paid this year.  Well, at least I was able to experience it twice before the price jump (similar to Haven before the bidding system came to play).

53 minutes ago, xcell said:

Price and popularity are up -- went to look for YC in Dec 2020 -- all sold out for Miami sailings.

YC cabins available , 7-Nights , Miami :

Seaside - 12/05/2020 - 8 cabins

Seaside - 12/19/2020 - 7 cabins

Meraviglia - 12/06/2020 - 62(!) cabins

Meraviglia - 12/20/2020 - 64(!) cabins

Prices YC , 7-nights , Miami :

Seaside - 03/06/2021 - $5,104.68 for 2

Seaside - 03/20/2031 - $5,264.68 for 2

Meraviglia - 03/07/2021 - $5,127.84 for 2

Meraviglia - 03/21/2021 - $5,287.84 for 2

Prices shown without VC discount.

(source: MSC USA website, 06/24/2019)

Edited by SirWolf

Oh sorry, I meant the YC is sold out on the weeks my wife "allows" us to cruise which basically is Xmas week and Spring break week (March 14).

I paid $7K CDN for March 2019 and August 2019 YC on the Seaside and March 2021 is $9-10K for a family of 4 and Xmas 2020 is sold out.

I think MSC's plan has always been to gain a foothold in the U.S. market by offering voyages on their ships at the low prices we've seen over the past few years. Now that they've gotten that foothold, and have plans to build their own terminal at Port Miami, plus the private island (Ocean Cay) they are raising prices to levels closer to where the competition is. I'd never sail on an MSC ship outside the Yacht Club, but I've said the same thing about Disney too. We've always sailed DCL in Concierge before MSC arrived here with Divina, and I probably will continue sailing MSC in the Yacht Club as long as the product remains at current levels.