Orion Explorers Suite

ROTONDA

Just booked an ES3 Explorers Suite 3094 on the Orion for July 2020.  That was the only floor I was able to get at this time.  Can you give me any pros and cons. I did see that the higher floors are more expensive. Not sure why?  Have asked to be put on a wait list for a higher floor if it comes up.  Keeping all my options open. 

Looking forward to sailing on the Orion again!  We where on her maiden voyage last June and had an amazing two weeks.

Kat

Rotunda,  we have sailed aboard a VO sister ship in Suite 3095. It is the mirror twin of your booked suite. Both are located at the stern of the ship, one on the port side and the other on the starboard side,  and have wrap around verandas. Explorer Suites on on decks 4, 5 and 6 are somewhat larger and are, in keeping with many cruise lines practices, more expensive the higher you go.

I am not sure what, if anything,  will come of your request for a suite upgrade.  Possibly Viking might offer you an "upsale" for a higher priced suite if they have one or more available. But do expect to pay for the more expensive accommodations.  

That being said, we loved the suite and especially enjoyed the veranda and the general cabin layout. Sailaways were were special with a panoramic view of recently departed port and surrounding areas. The only downside we found, was how far it was to the midship elevators and stairs. 

I hope this input helps.

Senior Gators

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will have no problem staying with our original booked suite after hearing you loved it.  My concern was that floor perhaps had restricted views or was noisy.  I would take an upgrade... if offered for free!  It happened on our last trip on the Orion.  This trip looks to filling up fast.  I would think there would be less movement in categories.  

Thanks again

Kat

You're welcome.  If anything, the views from the Explorer Suites verandas at the stern of the ship are much more sweeping than those at the bow.  They are restricted to mainly a side view; to get the full forward view, you are behind thick glass or plexiglass. 

Senior Gators

On 6/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, ROTONDA said:

Just booked an ES3 Explorers Suite 3094 on the Orion for July 2020.  That was the only floor I was able to get at this time.  Can you give me any pros and cons. I did see that the higher floors are more expensive. Not sure why?  Have asked to be put on a wait list for a higher floor if it comes up.  Keeping all my options open. 

Looking forward to sailing on the Orion again!  We where on her maiden voyage last June and had an amazing two weeks.

Kat

Hi Kat,

When in July 2020 are you sailing?  We are on the July 25th sailing and are booked in ES 5001(Category ES1) which is forward.  We just finished the Grand European Tour on the Longship Magni and the only explorer suites(only 2 on the ship) are aft, so we thought we'd change it up.  If you're on the same sailing perhaps we could visit each other and compare so we can better pick our cabins for future sailings.

We will see you when you board.  We sail July 15th from Vancouver.  We are Canadian and have family in the  Vancouver area so we thought we would visit them and board in Vancouver.  

To add to other posters’ comments, we were in the exact sister suite - 3094 - on the Sky in January, 2018, and we thought it was wonderful.  There were many positive features, including a large sitting and dining area, huge closet, and large bathroom.  The separate bedroom seemed a little on the ‘cozy’ side, but was entirely adequate.  The wrap-around balcony was a treat.  We had no issues with noise at all, and the aft location wasn’t a problem in terms of motion even in rougher water.  

My personal recommendation, based on comments we heard from others on our cruise, as well as some of the comments here on CC, would be to stick with this suite, even if one on a higher deck becomes available - and particularly if it’s in the bow.

9 hours ago, aungrl said:

To add to other posters’ comments, we were in the exact sister suite - 3094 - on the Sky in January, 2018, and we thought it was wonderful.  There were many positive features, including a large sitting and dining area, huge closet, and large bathroom.  The separate bedroom seemed a little on the ‘cozy’ side, but was entirely adequate.  The wrap-around balcony was a treat.  We had no issues with noise at all, and the aft location wasn’t a problem in terms of motion even in rougher water.  

My personal recommendation, based on comments we heard from others on our cruise, as well as some of the comments here on CC, would be to stick with this suite, even if one on a higher deck becomes available - and particularly if it’s in the bow.

Were there any specific complaints about being in the bow?  Now I am concerned about my choice.

The only specific comments we heard during our cruise - and on a later one in September that year - were around the visibility SeniorGators mentioned.  I didn’t see these suites personally, but we heard two different comments that the views weren’t as sweeping as the ones in the back, from people who had stayed in both.  That makes sense, since the verandas are larger in the stern ESs than in those in the bow.  The bow suites themselves (the interior space) however, are larger, and I know some people prefer that configuration.  So while I don’t have personal experience, I think you’ll be very happy in the suite you’ve chosen.  Perhaps others who have stayed in one in the bow can weigh in....I wonder if you reposted without the specific reference to “Orion” whether or not you might get more input?

My ears were burning when the name Senior Gators was mentioned.  We have experienced both forward and aft Explorer Suites on Deck 3 (ES 3's).  Though the layout is somewhat different, they are equally nice and comfortable.  Aungrl is accurate in their description of the major difference between being in an aft facing suite and one in the bow.  We liked them both.  Though the view directly forward is somewhat obstructed, it is not much.  The view to the side (port or starboard) is at least as good as any other cabin with considerably more space and much nicer furnishings.  The additional benefit is, in addition to the open area, that the veranda is big enough to have a large shaded area when the sun is hot.  

We have just booked a trans Atlantic sailing on the Sea for March 2020 and will be in a forward ES 3.  The deal was too good to refuse with the "Explorer Special" Viking is promoting through June 30th.

Senior Gators

23 hours ago, Senior Gators said:

My ears were burning when the name Senior Gators was mentioned.  We have experienced both forward and aft Explorer Suites on Deck 3 (ES 3's).  Though the layout is somewhat different, they are equally nice and comfortable.  Aungrl is accurate in their description of the major difference between being in an aft facing suite and one in the bow.  We liked them both.  Though the view directly forward is somewhat obstructed, it is not much.  The view to the side (port or starboard) is at least as good as any other cabin with considerably more space and much nicer furnishings.  The additional benefit is, in addition to the open area, that the veranda is big enough to have a large shaded area when the sun is hot.  

We have just booked a trans Atlantic sailing on the Sea for March 2020 and will be in a forward ES 3.  The deal was too good to refuse with the "Explorer Special" Viking is promoting through June 30th.

Senior Gators

Thank you aungrl and senior gators for your input. I'm feeling much better about my choice.  Happy sailing!