Freedom of the Seas: Suitable for a Couple? Late-Night Food?

Good day,

We're interested in the Southern Caribbean itinerary this July, and we have a few questions.  First, would this trip be suitable for an adult couple or would it be geared toward families?  Also, what food on the ship is available after the Windjammer closes at 9:30 p.m.?  I know that there's room service, and I see a general reference to snacks at Cafe Promenade.

I guess that depends on your definition of suitable for an adult couple. At that time frame, there will be plenty of kids and families but also plenty of couples only. We only cruise as a couple, kids are grown. I would have no issue with that ship or itinerary. As for food after the windjammer closes, Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade and room service.

We just did the ABC islands on Freedom out of SJ.  Four adults, all in our 50s.  We had a great time on and off the ship.  Fewer kids than I expected but we went in later May when many are probably still in school.  San Juan is more difficult/expensive to get to than southern Florida so I would generally expect fewer kids.  Even with kids on board though, Freedom is a great ship for adults. 

1 hour ago, aaaaa said:

Would there likely be fewer kids on a San Juan departure than on a Florida departure?

Unpredictable as there are many locals who take their family on cruises.

Since you are asking about a cruise in less than 6 weeks, that makes me think it’s not sold out. Which would suggest that there are not a huge amount of families on board. 

We’ve sailed from San Juan quite a few times in July, as a couple. Never thought they were family oriented cruises. 

DH and I recently off Freedom and we commented how few kids there were. Most we saw were young kids with their families. Not many teenagers and pre-teens. Some yes, but way less than we have experienced on our other Caribbean cruises. We commented that our kids would have hated that cruise as teens because there was nobody to make friends with. We loved it.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, aaaaa said:

Would there likely be fewer kids on a San Juan departure than on a Florida departure?

No.....there will be a lot of local families with kids. We sailed in September and there were a lot !!!!! 

On 6/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

More likely to be the other way round.....a few families on a ship full of couples!

Sailing out of San Juan can be hit or miss - some weeks the number of large families is over the top, other weeks not so much.  Very hard to predict week to week.

Our fifth time sailing out of San Juan is later this year but this time we are on Celebrity.

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Sailing out of San Juan can be hit or miss - some weeks the number of large families is over the top, other weeks not so much.  Very hard to predict week to week.

Our fifth time sailing out of San Juan is later this year but this time we are on Celebrity.

I can guess Celebrity won't attract as many (local) families with kids like Freedom does.

• Like 1