dining requests

zship

zship, my DH loves snails (escargot).  On our last Odyssey cruise he requested them for dinner.  I think he requested them the day before and they were served in the MDR the following evening.  He absolutely loved them.

candylover, do you make your special food request by calling guest services, or do you need to talk to someone specific? I've been wondering about special requests for our next cruise. I want the escargot, too, but I need them to be gluten free! Whenever they are listed on the menu, they seem to be prepared ahead of time with gluten.

For those in the U.S. who recall the 1970s Toyota commercial - "You asked for it ... you got it..... " that's Seabourn.    Sat with a couple from Australia at lunch on the Quest in April who was wondering if there was any bread pudding available.  None that day but the following day they were served their own specially prepared pudding.  

zship:  I am not sure what kind of special dining requests you are concerned about.  If you have dietary restrictions or overall desires (eg., we like to eat with limited carbs;  others may have allergies, etc.), record that in your cruise registration, and it will be part of your record and the dining rooms will try to help out.  If you want a special dish, you need to request it in advance, and it may be provided if the ship has the food product in its storeroom.  Maybe.

Here's one thing I learned on our recent trip aboard the Sojourn.  It is possible in the evenings at dinner in the MDR to order a side plate of plain vegetables---on the spot.  Our dining companions ordered vegetables and were each served a plate including steamed broccoli and carrots.  

On 6/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, zship said:

Does seabourn allow special dining requests with advance notice and if so, what special dining requests have you been especially happy with ? Thanks.

We've requested special items a few times with 24 hr advance notice.  They've all been good but most memorable was an Indian meal a few years ago.  We asked for a specific menu of mulligatawny soup, lamb rogan josh, chicken tikka masala, vegetable korma and the usual accompaniments of rice, papadum and raita.  We like spicy food so we requested extra hot.  The chef surprised us with an additional dish of super spicy pork vindaloo.  Everything was exceptional.  Since then, we've requested an Indian meal on every SB voyage, but we no longer ask for specific items.  I think the kitchen staff really enjoy cooking Indian food and they do it very well, so we simply leave ourselves in their good hands and have never been disappointed.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:03 AM, SLSD said:

Here's one thing I learned on our recent trip aboard the Sojourn.  It is possible in the evenings at dinner in the MDR to order a side plate of plain vegetables---on the spot.  Our dining companions ordered vegetables and were each served a plate including steamed broccoli and carrots.  

We learned that way back in Jan 2014 on the Quest and have always asked for the steamed vegetables since

Also on that cruise another couple joined our table for dinner in the MD one night. They jokingly asked for Corned Beef  with all the trimmings The waiter went away and came back in a few minutes apologizing that they would have to corn the beef and they could have it two days. The poor guy was joking and didn't know what to say. We ended up joining them for dinner a couple of nights later with the Corned Beef to help them out.

We learned from this one doesn't make throw away comments on Seabourn ships as Seabourn will make it happen if they can

Edited by Thecat123

6 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

We've requested special items a few times with 24 hr advance notice.  They've all been good but most memorable was an Indian meal a few years ago.  We asked for a specific menu of mulligatawny soup, lamb rogan josh, chicken tikka masala, vegetable korma and the usual accompaniments of rice, papadum and raita.  We like spicy food so we requested extra hot.  The chef surprised us with an additional dish of super spicy pork vindaloo.  Everything was exceptional.  Since then, we've requested an Indian meal on every SB voyage, but we no longer ask for specific items.  I think the kitchen staff really enjoy cooking Indian food and they do it very well, so we simply leave ourselves in their good hands and have never been disappointed.

We've also found that Seabourn, both as a special request and on the Indian Market which they run often in the Colonnade, produces very good Indian food, I think better than much Indian food you'd find on land in the west. We've always noticed on galley tours that there are chefs from India there and so we've assumed that's why. We've found them generally less good at some other cuisines again most likely because they don't have a chef on board from that region. We have had some very passable Thai food on Seabourn more than once; beyond those we don't venture too much now. Seabourn is pretty good at serving up very palatable comfort food, it's often to be found on their lunch menus during the cruise but it's great sometimes to have a cottage pie or fish n chips for dinner and with a day's notice, you can have it. 

Last year on Odyssey, Seabourn happily baked and decorated a traditional US-style wedding cake for me and also prepared a lovely Indian dinner for the evening of our vow exchange.  (Our first date night dinner was curry in London so they helped my husband recreate that menu!)

On Ovation, one of the Indonesian chefs in Earth and Ocean discovered that we'd both spent extended time in Indonesia and other current/former Dutch territories (where Indonesian foods are often comfort staples) and a few times prepared bonus treats just for us.

I've found that they generally will not say no to any reasonable request although they might ask for 24-48 hours to prepare it properly.

17 hours ago, rols said:

We've also found that Seabourn, both as a special request and on the Indian Market which they run often in the Colonnade, produces very good Indian food, I think better than much Indian food you'd find on land in the west. We've always noticed on galley tours that there are chefs from India there and so we've assumed that's why...

You're right rols.  Recently we had the Indian Market Dinner in the Colonnade on Encore and it was a wonderful spread.  But everything was spiced pretty tame so my DH asked the line cook if he could jazz up a curry with more heat.  The guy beamed, went into the kitchen and concocted a super spicy version and brought it to our table.  He waited for my DH to taste and was thrilled that he loved the dish.  Seabourn really knows how to deliver on Indian food. 

On 6/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, MightyQuinn said:

We were on the Encore in October and we had an Indian Feast prepared for a group of 6 . Absolutely sensational and we could see and hear the other  guests talking about our meal , we had at least 3 people ask how we got this meal and they all said that they would do something similar .

We also have enjoyed amazing Indian Cuisine on Odyssey.

If you are lucky to be on a Seabourn ship where Jez is the Chef anything you ask for will be amazing. Jez also is very au fait with Thai Cuisine. Our request at various times has been for Boullaibase,  which Frank and Jez both served up in their own style and both delicious. The Philippino boys can rustle up great Adobo for you on request.

Most of all we really  appreciate the variety and quality of ingredients purchased by Seabourn .

We found the staff soooooo accommodating, as often as they could be! Getting the fancy cherries from the Observation Bar when my husband ordered a Manhattan in another bar, making sure there was IPA available at the bar my husband preferred, or finding some truffles when we were very full after dinner but just wanted "a little taste of chocolate" for dessert.