Silver Explorer Cancels 7913 July 1 Seward to Vancouver

NJ Cruiserman

I'm onboard Explorer now - at Attu Island in the Aleutians. The ship has a damaged propeller resulting, we are told, from becoming entangled in a Russian fishing net. The consequence for us is that instead of continuing to Seward, our cruise will end 5 days early with an unscheduled stop at Adak. From there we will be evacuated by air to Anchorage while the ship limps to Vancouver and a dry dock. It's a very disappointing turn of events but the company has done a good job keeping us informed and is promising full reimbursement...

Glad to hear the company is communicating clearly with those on board.  What an expense this must be for all involved.  Considering how often we include land arrangements around our embarkation and disembarkation ports, this is just another example that confirms carrying travel insurance is necessary.

• Like 2

Mark, was the compensation adequate? I read the article on CC but wondered what you thought. 

The only time I've had a cruise canceled was in 2013 when the Danube flooded. We had plane tickets independent of the cruise line, so we went to Germany anyway and did 2 weeks on our own, made up on the fly. You probably don't have that option in Alaska. Were you able to make alternative holiday plans?

I just realized that it was 9 years ago that we cruised together. I thought it was more recent, but no - it was the Black Sea in 2010! Only our second SS cruise ever...how time flies when you're having fun!

On 6/22/2019 at 8:40 PM, Devonian said:

I'm onboard Explorer now - at Attu Island in the Aleutians. The ship has a damaged propeller resulting, we are told, from becoming entangled in a Russian fishing net. The consequence for us is that instead of continuing to Seward, our cruise will end 5 days early with an unscheduled stop at Adak. From there we will be evacuated by air to Anchorage while the ship limps to Vancouver and a dry dock. It's a very disappointing turn of events but the company has done a good job keeping us informed and is promising full reimbursement...

Full reimbursement?!?!?  That is fantastic compared to our cruise last summer on Silver Explorer wherein we created circles in the ocean for nine days and they just gave us 40%.  Maybe they lost too many longtime Silversea customers so are now being more proactive (plus insurance will cover this instance but probably didn't cover ours as it was just piss-poor planning on Silversea's part).

Marc

On 6/26/2019 at 9:17 PM, jpalbny said:

Mark, was the compensation adequate? I read the article on CC but wondered what you thought. 

The only time I've had a cruise canceled was in 2013 when the Danube flooded. We had plane tickets independent of the cruise line, so we went to Germany anyway and did 2 weeks on our own, made up on the fly. You probably don't have that option in Alaska. Were you able to make alternative holiday plans?

I just realized that it was 9 years ago that we cruised together. I thought it was more recent, but no - it was the Black Sea in 2010! Only our second SS cruise ever...how time flies when you're having fun!

Compensation is a refund of the cruise fare plus  a future cruise discount equal to 25% of the fare paid for the cancelled cruise. Also flight change fees plus something for non-refundable arrangements (although all of our arrangements were cancelable at the time they informed us. Plus some per diem if you had already arrived in Anchorage. So it’s acceptable. 

I thought you had also been on our second cruise in the Baltic to St. Petersburg in 2011. Perhaps our paths will cross again.   

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Silver Explorer is out of drydock in Vancouver, and according to MarineTraffic.com, is heading to Rudyerd Bay.

You can barely see her, with the black hull, just off East Trail Island.  (The big ship in front is Radiance of the Seas).

IMG_1275.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, jpalbny said:

So we have finally rebooked on another cruise in August. While they gave us a credit of 25% of the fare we paid to use on a future cruise, Both my TA and I had to call Guest Relations and argue to get them to give me the same 10% early booking bonus that we had on the cancelled cruise, but then they also threw in the 5% VS discount which was applicable to our original cruise but not to the new one. So we did OK.

Glad to hear, Mark! And the discounts sound nice too. Hope this cruise works better for you - can't imagine how disappointed you must be. Hope your new destination is an exciting as this one would have been. 

We are sailing from London to Reykjavik in August on the Wind, which is the first ship on which we ever sailed. Reading through posts about Iceland it looks like you are on a circumnavigation of Iceland in August, and perhaps we will be in one of the ports at the same time so I'll keep a lookout! Also, I hope your ship will have a great dance floor. 

Regards,