Chef's Table Availability of Menus at Reservation Time

Cyber Kat

Our last Viking cruise was last spring and we were in a DV cabin so we only had 1 reservation available for each restaurant.  For our upcoming cruise this fall, we are in a PV1, so we get 2 reservations and an earlier window.  We didn't make reservations ahead for the Chef's Table, but waited until we got on the ship and could see the menus.  We did the Sweet and Salty menu and it was very good.  We'd like to try something different this time, and I read somewhere - don't remember where and a search didn't help - that the menus are now available to see when you make your advance reservations - and you can see which one is available which night.

Have any of you done the reservation process recently?  Were you able to see the menus and which nights they would be offered?

We made reservation the end of May. Sample menus for available at that time. While the actual dates were not listed for each menu, we were able to calculate the dates by the order in which the sample menus were listed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Our last Viking cruise was last spring and we were in a DV cabin so we only had 1 reservation available for each restaurant.  For our upcoming cruise this fall, we are in a PV1, so we get 2 reservations and an earlier window.  We didn't make reservations ahead for the Chef's Table, but waited until we got on the ship and could see the menus.  We did the Sweet and Salty menu and it was very good.  We'd like to try something different this time, and I read somewhere - don't remember where and a search didn't help - that the menus are now available to see when you make your advance reservations - and you can see which one is available which night.

Have any of you done the reservation process recently?  Were you able to see the menus and which nights they would be offered?

We did the reservation process just recently in May.   We actually had the chance to change reservations to fit the menu schedule as on our Jupiter cruise, the Chef's Table was not as popular as the other 2 restaurants at all.  There were 4 different menus on our 15 day cruise (14 nights) that rotated through.  We wound up trying them all!  Interesting in that they always told us there were no reservations available (after our original ones), but we went several times to the Chef's Table at 6 PM standby and had an easy time getting in.  One waiter told us that quite a few people make many reservations and then just "no show" - so never give up!

Of all our menus on 3 different cruises though, we never saw a "Sweet and Salty" menu.  Interesting!  What was it about?  We had Chinese, Asian, West indies, and Mexican as our 4 on the May Jupiter Cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Of all our menus on 3 different cruises though, we never saw a "Sweet and Salty" menu.  Interesting!  What was it about?  We had Chinese, Asian, West indies, and Mexican as our 4 on the May Jupiter Cruise.

We really like the Chef's Table, and "Sweet and Salty" was our favorite menu. Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho, Grilled Scallop with Beets & Passion Fruit, Prosciutto & Melon Granita, Veal Tenderloin with Pumpkin & Red Onion Marmalade, and Grand Marnier Bavaroise with Basil and Strawberry. It was a memorable meal (though I did have to look up the courses!). Two thumbs up on the Mexican menu also, and still waiting to try the French Bistro and the West Indies. Sixteen months until our next ocean cruise, so I do have quite a wait!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, just_dont said:

Prior to the advanced booking window opening you will be able to see all of the menus for your cruise, and also which days those menus will be offered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our window opens July 18 but right now we only have 4 or 5 sample menus. Will that change in the next week or so?  They all sound good to me, but my husband is not as adventurous when it comes to eating. There is one of the Asian menus that appeal to both of us. 

When we booked, the sample menus that appeared a few weeks before the reservations opened up were the same ones that still appeared the day of booking.

I also assume that these menus are only examples of the type of food that will be offered and may change due to ingredient availability.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, Cyber Kat said:

Our window opens July 18 but right now we only have 4 or 5 sample menus. Will that change in the next week or so?  They all sound good to me, but my husband is not as adventurous when it comes to eating. There is one of the Asian menus that appeal to both of us. 

Chefs table menu only changes every 3 days or so. 

Just an FYI: If by any chance you are trying to coordinate a group to have the same reservation,  call Viking with the reservation number of each cabin.

We went that route because we are three cabins traveling together (all DV) and were messing ourselves up trying to make the reservation.  

The young lady confirmed the nights the menu we were interested in was available and made the reservation for the six of us. No one can be logged into My Viking Journey while the reservation is being made.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, flashfearless said:

Chefs table menu only changes every 3 days or so. 

And I like that schedule but on the same itinerary as you a year earlier it changed every other day so we had 6 menus for the cruise

On 6/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Cyber Kat said:

Thanks - I did know that. 

Hi CyberKat - I just saw your signature and see you are on the exact cruise (Eastern Seaboard) as our good friends and neighbors.  We actually convinced them to try out Viking and this cruise (we are considering it in future years).  You will have fun! 

Chef's Table was definitely our favorite.  Something to keep in mind though - each cruise is different based on the passenger makeup.  We've been on 3 VOC's and each one had a different favorite restaurant.  The first one CT was always packed, whereas our recent Jupiter cruise no one seemed to go there and you couldn't get into Manfredi's or The Restaurant.  It all depends I guess!

43 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi CyberKat - I just saw your signature and see you are on the exact cruise (Eastern Seaboard) as our good friends and neighbors.  We actually convinced them to try out Viking and this cruise (we are considering it in future years).  You will have fun! 

Chef's Table was definitely our favorite.  Something to keep in mind though - each cruise is different based on the passenger makeup.  We've been on 3 VOC's and each one had a different favorite restaurant.  The first one CT was always packed, whereas our recent Jupiter cruise no one seemed to go there and you couldn't get into Manfredi's or The Restaurant.  It all depends I guess!

This will be our second Viking Ocean cruise and our 4th Viking Cruise - we have done 2 river cruises with them. 

We really enjoy the overall Viking experience and we are looking forward to this cruise. We enjoyed all the restaurants.  The CT is a bit of an adventure, because my husband is a fussy eater. And yet he enjoyed the Sweet and Salty menu we chose the last time. 

Are your friends in the roll call?  I’ll say hello!