Silver Spirits Add-on - timing on when to get?

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

The waiters have a tablet, which they present to you like a wine menu.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks Just_dont for the helpful advice!   I will let everyone know our experience.  We are on the Jupiter in December.

7 hours ago, just_dont said:

There MAY be some that are exclusive to CT. At least that's what Ivan our sommelier told us. Although, as accommodating as Viking is, if you were to ask for a glass of one of those 'exclusive' CT wines in one of the other venues, they may just fetch you one.

It would sure be worth a try!  So are the CT upgraded wines different from the SSP wines available in the rest of the venues?  If so, and if you can order them outside of CT, then that really increases the value of SSP to wine lovers! 

We have found wines at the CT that I have been able to order in the MDR and most of the bars have been able to find them.  Usually the WC is clueless!

It would sure be worth a try!  So are the CT upgraded wines different from the SSP wines available in the rest of the venues?  If so, and if you can order them outside of CT, then that really increases the value of SSP to wine lovers! 
Today I asked Ivan, the sommelier in Chef's Table on Viking Jupiter, to clarify.
He explained that all of the CT upgraded wine pairings actually CAN be obtained in the other restaurants. However, some of them are not available by the glass aside from the CT pairings - you would have to purchase the whole bottle (at a discounted rate with the SS package). The most typical example of this is some of the dessert wines. We did enjoy a wonderful Port with the chocolate dessert of the Mexican menu.
However, while that's the stated policy, he admitted that if you do request a glass of one of those wines, and you have the SS package, they may just pour you one. I'd imagine your odds would be highest in Manfredi's if you spoke with the sommelier (rather than just trying to order it from the waiter). Odds may be lower in the Restaurant, and probably zero in the World Cafe.
So I guess it can't hurt to just ask, but it helps to ask the right person.

• Like 1

Thank you just_dont. Great information and appreciate your asking. Do you have a listing of CT wines as example?  I am guessing they may vary by menu?  
I do. I will gather them and post them later tonight.

I do. I will gather them and post them later tonight.

Apologies. It was the last day of our cruise and quite busy. By the time it occurred to me, all the paper items (such as the wine pairings lists) were packed. I will post the information once I'm safely home and unpacked.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, CCWineLover said:

Thank you all for your very good inputs!   We'll see if we can find out from Viking what the wine/drink lists are for our Dec. South American cruise coming up - and can then research whether it makes sense for us.   Our good friends are on a Viking cruise now and let us know that they ordered the SSP the day after boarding-first full day (so the boarding day didn't count).  So if you have a 15 day/14 night cruise, you really would be paying for 13 days, since the first day is embarkationg and the  final day is disembarkation early.

Don't forget to take advantage of visiting some very good wine-producing countries in SA (Argentina and Chile), and stocking up in port at wine outlets, often supermarkets.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, Mahogany said:

Don't forget to take advantage of visiting some very good wine-producing countries in SA (Argentina and Chile), and stocking up in port at wine outlets, often supermarkets.

No doubt, Mahogany!  We are already spending several days on the front end in Santiago/Valparaiso, Chile and taking several wine tours and then post-cruise, doing our own 3 day trip to Mendoza, Argentina (from Buenos Aires) to sample the famous wines there, especially Malbec.    We plan/hope to go to supermarkets and pick out bottles to bring on board.  We did in Spain and Portugal on our recent Viking Jupiter Cruise.   Got to love that zero corkage fee.  The Barcelona terminal, in fact, had quite a decent selection of wine at not much more than shops in town.