Walking to/from El Morro from the Port

luv2sailAgain

I will be walking through Old San Juan with my young adult children.  We are sailing into PR via Royal Caribbean. Does this route seem to be safe?

Leave ship

Follow the Paseo de la Princesa

Enter the Puerta de San Juan

Go to Calle del Cristo

Left on San Sebastian

Right to the fort

Tour Fort

Head back to ship via Calle del Cristo

Left on Calle Fortaleza (after seeing umbrellas??)

Right on San Justo towards ship

Thanks for any help/recommendations!

Pretty good route.  Ont he way up and back, you can go a block further on Calle del Cristo past the Plaza Sa Jose to Fr.de Goenaga St.  Turn left and go to the end of the street at the Poor people Park (Parque de Beneficencia). Turn right and you'll be on Del Morro and go straight to the long fort entrance.

Come back the same way or just go down Norzagaray to the Quincentennial Sq and connect to Del Cristo that way.

If you're on Pier 1, take Fortaleza to Tanca and turn right, head right to the pier.  If you're on Pier 3 or 4, just stay on Fortaleza until the Plaza Colon and then turn right and follow the street down hill to the post office then take that side street (paseo de Colon) to La Marinia and the pier.

1 hour ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Is this safe to walk at night?  Our ship will not arrive until 4pm and depart around midnight.

Yes, it is safe to walk at night. There are thousands of other cruisers walking around, too. 

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Pretty good route.  Ont he way up and back, you can go a block further on Calle del Cristo past the Plaza Sa Jose to Fr.de Goenaga St.  Turn left and go to the end of the street at the Poor people Park (Parque de Beneficencia). Turn right and you'll be on Del Morro and go straight to the long fort entrance.

Come back the same way or just go down Norzagaray to the Quincentennial Sq and connect to Del Cristo that way.

If you're on Pier 1, take Fortaleza to Tanca and turn right, head right to the pier.  If you're on Pier 3 or 4, just stay on Fortaleza until the Plaza Colon and then turn right and follow the street down hill to the post office then take that side street (paseo de Colon) to La Marinia and the pier.

Thank you very much! 

7 hours ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Is this safe to walk at night?  Our ship will not arrive until 4pm and depart around midnight.

What month are you arriving?  We arrive at 2pm in July.  As far as I can tell, we are the only ship in port that day.  Summer is the low season in the Caribbean.  We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas.  So there will be quite a few of us.  But compared to the winter months when more than one ship is in port (maybe several ships), I am not expecting huge tourist crowds.

Long story longer. . .😉

Just always be aware of your surroundings when visiting any Caribbean island. No need to worry or anything. Just take care. I have actually been to San Juan twice and lived in the USVI.  But it was quite a while ago.  

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Pretty good route.  Ont he way up and back, you can go a block further on Calle del Cristo past the Plaza Sa Jose to Fr.de Goenaga St.  Turn left and go to the end of the street at the Poor people Park (Parque de Beneficencia). Turn right and you'll be on Del Morro and go straight to the long fort entrance.  Thanks for this idea.  I actually thought more about my route after my first post and was thinking about this way.  This seems like a better way.

If you're on Pier 1, take Fortaleza to Tanca and turn right, head right to the pier.  If you're on Pier 3 or 4, just stay on Fortaleza until the Plaza Colon and then turn right and follow the street down hill to the post office then take that side street (paseo de Colon) to La Marinia and the pier.  Great tips!  Thanks again!

18 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

What month are you arriving?  We arrive at 2pm in July.  As far as I can tell, we are the only ship in port that day.  Summer is the low season in the Caribbean.  We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas.  So there will be quite a few of us.  But compared to the winter months when more than one ship is in port (maybe several ships), I am not expecting huge tourist crowds.

Long story longer. . .😉

Just always be aware of your surroundings when visiting any Caribbean island. No need to worry or anything. Just take care. I have actually been to San Juan twice and lived in the USVI.  But it was quite a while ago.  

We are going in Jan … like to plan Caribbean vacations when the weather turns cold in Virginia.  I did check the port schedule and they are several ships in San Juan that day, but our ship is the only one arriving/staying late.

Linda

Have visited San Juan numerous times ( maybe 20)  We have walked all over Old San Juan - morning , noon and night.  Even walked back to our hotel El Convento from the salsa club we were at at 2:30 am - no problems.  But stay to the main streets after dark - we found lots of police out that early !

34 minutes ago, texancruzer said:

Have visited San Juan numerous times ( maybe 20)  We have walked all over Old San Juan - morning , noon and night.  Even walked back to our hotel El Convento from the salsa club we were at at 2:30 am - no problems.  But stay to the main streets after dark - we found lots of police out that early !

Many thanks for the reassurance! This will be my first "on your own" shore excursion without DH. I will also be responsible for my young adult children and nieces. I worry too much!!