Would you sail with broken wrist?

ccndfw

We are supposed to be leaving on a trip to Alaska next weekend, however, one of the people in our party fell and broke their wrist.  Initially, she was told she just needed a cast, however. Now she’s been told she needs surgery.  The soonest they can do it is during the week of our cruise, however, her doctor also told her she could wait a week and do it when she gets back.  She can’t decide what to do and is really torn because she was so looking forward to our trip.  We have insurance so canceling isn’t much of an issue... we would be out some $ for the insurance itself, but not too much. She’s in some pain, but she said it’s manageable, although, she has only been laying around the house and not really doing much.  I’m concerned that it won’t really start to heal correctly until after the surgery so perhaps it’s worth getting it done sooner.  Also concerned she won’t be able to have much fun if she starts hurting more.  Has anyone traveled with a broken bone?  And if so, what was your experience?

Lie around on the ship or at home?  Might as well take it easy and let people wait on her.  Only problem I could see would be getting on/off busses, walking up stairs, or dragging her luggage if she needs to use that hand/wrist for those activities.  If she doesn't think she can handle it, then she should cancel with the insurance.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I don't know if this is the place to ask. You will most likely get all kinds of answers that will make the decision even more difficult. Take the advice of a bunch of strangers or a trained professional who gets paid the big bucks.

• Like 3

I would rely on the Dr.'s advice.  If he says it's OK, then it's OK.

Now, if the patient just wants to get over this issue, then there is no shame in cancelling the cruise and having the surgery.

• Like 3

While I would not have a choice as the doctor in the house would make the decision for me, you are cruising to the US (Alaska, is the US). They have those thing we  call doctors in Alaska. Of course, Skagway is known for their witch doctors. 

Hi,

I actually took a cruise when I had a broken wrist in 2007. It was a seven-day Hawaii cruise on NCL's Pride of America. I didn't need to have surgery but my wrist was in a cast. Thus, my wrist was well-protected. I still enjoyed the cruise but it somewhat limited my activities because I couldn't get the cast wet. I traveled with a friend who could help with my luggage.

Of course, I would discuss this with the doctor and follow his/her advice. I would be concerned that the wrist is not protected by a cast. I think there would be some risk of increased pain if the wrist is not protected. Also, she obviously would need would assistance with her luggage. 

Chuck

I would certainly follow doctor’s advice but it sounds like he/she is okay with the cruise.

That being said, I cruised with a broken leg.  I didn’t need surgery but happened close enough to the sailing date that I had to make a choice.  I’m glad went—my doctor said that it was up to me.  I  had a great time.  As someone said in an earlier post—she can sit at home or sit on the ship!  I found the ship’s crew to be very helpful and supportive. Brought ice, water, drink, food—I just had to ask for something once!  I had to change some shore excursions but that was minor. 

My advice is to make sure she brings enough medication and medical supplies.  Also, contact the cruise line to let them know.  The cruise line I sailed with contacted me a couple of times before the cruise to make sure I would be okay.

What about her travel insurance?  It would obviously be a pre-existing condition. What if at some point during the trip she needed more medical attention for the wrist?  Her insurance would most likely not cover it. 

3 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

What about her travel insurance?  It would obviously be a pre-existing condition. What if at some point during the trip she needed more medical attention for the wrist?  Her insurance would most likely not cover it. 

I guess "pre-existing condition" is defined differently in Canada than in the USA.

Here, the "pre" part of it would mean "before getting the insurance".

Once covered, the insurance will cover things as needed UNLESS the physician directed that the person should not travel.

Also, with coverage that does *not* exclude pre-existing conditions (we always get this type of coverage), it wouldn't even matter when the "condition" arose, as long as the person is fit to travel when the coverage is started and as long as the person has not been advised not to travel, etc.

Back to OP's question... I took a 12 night cruise shortly after getting diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff, one that was VERY painful.  DH needed to help me with almost everything, as it was my dominant arm.  So I needed help with dressing, help cutting meat, etc.  We changed some of the excursions.

But we decided that I might as well "rest" while cruising, vs. just sitting around in pain at home.
We just made sure that my physician gave me extra pain pills just in case the pain got much worse (it was already quite bad).

It didn't get worse, but it was comforting knowing that if it did, I'd have what I needed (and not need to argue with a ship's physician or fly home early, etc.

We are VERY glad that we decided not to cancel the trip.

(We would have had all of our expenses covered if we had cancelled.  I was just very careful...)

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccndfw said:

Has anyone traveled with a broken bone?  And if so, what was your experience?

I haven't cruised with a broken wrist, but I did go camping (tent camping) one time (well, actually two different trips) while I had a broken wrist.

As long as the doctor says it's fine to go, and the wrist is protected (will it be in a cast?) and the pain is controlled, I'd go.

• Like 1

2003 leaving on Saturday for a cruise going to New Orleans during the end of Mardi Gras. Bucket list item.   Woke up with a strange feeling in my neck on Friday.  Went to the doctor and they wanted to do cardiac bypass on Monday.  Told them no can do.  

They gave me nitroglycerin for chest pain and off i went.  When i got back did the surgery.  Had a great time, so much so, been back twice since then.

If the doctor OK's the trip, take whatever pain meds the person has and go on the cruise. If you stay home all you are going to do is sit around. A broken wrist that is in a cast is stable enough that it should not impact any excursions, and if time were of the essence the  doctor would operate immediately.

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Which ones please?

I can’t give you a list, I think it was QANTAS that wouldn’t let Mrs Gut fly when her arm was in a cast, so I’d suggest asking the airline you are planning to fly with

Agree...listen to your doctor.

But here's my take. 

If you are right handed and the broken wrist is your right wrist...I wouldn't go on a cruise.  If the broken wrist is your left wrist...then I would go on a cruise. (The doctor already said it's ok.)  My reasoning behind this is simple...unless you are ambidextrous, it will be difficult having to use your "weak" hand....and before you answer, think about this really hard.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Agree...listen to your doctor.

But here's my take. 

If you are right handed and the broken wrist is your right wrist...I wouldn't go on a cruise.  If the broken wrist is your left wrist...then I would go on a cruise. (The doctor already said it's ok.)  My reasoning behind this is simple...unless you are ambidextrous, it will be difficult having to use your "weak" hand....and before you answer, think about this really hard.

I not only *thought* about this "really hard" (and I think I understand what your concerns are), but I took a 12 night cruise ss described above, with my dominant arm pretty much useless.  DH needed to help me dress, I needed help cutting meat, etc. I needed to get my hair washed at the salon, as well (and similarly at home for quite some time).  But those are actions that require *two* hands/arms.  For other one-handed needs, the non-dominant arm/hand sufficed quite well., albeit a bit awkwardly at times.

Does OP's travel companion have a spouse or someone else who could help her dress, for example?  (Dining staff can certainly help with cutting food; the salon can help with hair washing, etc.  It's dressing where one needs someone one feels *very* comfortable with...)

Now, back in college, back in the pre-historic days (or so it seems), I had a good friend who was in a major car accident, and had both arms badly shattered, so both were in substantial casts.  (She was the lucky one; the other 3 in the car that "party night" near Big Sur... they didn't need any casts...)  Anyway, yes, in that case, it didn't take long to "think" about why she was not living alone, but was living back with her parents for a few months,...  And no, it wasn't just needing to be fed that was a major problem...  

GC

Like the other have said, go on the cruise.

Mind you, she will have to cancel that longbow Moose hunting excursion. That could be a bit painful with a broken wrist.

Edited by DirtyDawg

OP asks, "Would You Sail With a Broken Wrist" not "Can you......"? My answer is nope.   

I always go with taking care of myself before taking a cruise. Broken bones seem to be a way of life for me. Even if doctor says it is OK to go I find I have more fun traveling when I am 100%. I have no desire to spend the time / money when my activities will be limited and I may be in pain nor do I want to inflict my needs as an injured person on others with me. Broken wrist sounds easy -- but think about all the things one usually does with that wrist when not traveling and then add how it is used when traveling starting with carrying luggage, managing carrying food / drinks, ....... -- so many things one's traveling companion will now have to help with. Just not fair for them even when they say -- don't worry about it. 

Travel / vacation is a time for unencumbered fun for all traveling together. It's a cruise -- there will be more.

Edited by snowskier
  • Like 1