Currency

bjbear

This has probably been asked but I can't find it.  On land excursions on Antarctica cruise, e.g., Ushahia, Falkland Island, etc. can you tip the shore excursion people with US dollars or should I get Argentinian currency?

Thanks, Sue

Sue - In Argentina the US $ is king & can be changed at most hotels & many businesses.

In Falklands they have there own Pounds that have no value off the islands & use UK pounds.  You can use US$ but exchange rate will be poor.

If you need to tip - then US$ is ok anywhere in the world where the US tipping curse exists.  

17 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

I have never taken cash - just credit and debit cards. 

And don't tip. It's extremely unnecessary. 

Wow, really??  I have always tipped the private shore excursion people but I like your answer.  Is it just us "ugly Americans" that seem to be tip happy?? 🤑

Thanks so much, Sue

On 6/23/2019 at 11:31 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

I have never taken cash - just credit and debit cards. 

And don't tip. It's extremely unnecessary. 

I understand that you're from Australia and it is not necessary to tip IN Australia.  However as you must well know in some cultures tipping is expected.  You may not like it but that is the way it is.  When one travels, one should consider the accepted norms in the country where you are and not the norms of the country you come from.  Do you want to come across as the "Ugly Australian"?

DON

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I understand that you're from Australia and it is not necessary to tip IN Australia.  However as you must well know in some cultures tipping is expected.  You may not like it but that is the way it is.  When one travels, one should consider the accepted norms in the country where you are and not the norms of the country you come from.  Do you want to come across as the "Ugly Australian"?

DON

Except that it's not common to do so in Ushuaia or the Falklands. It's not about where you're from; it's about where you are.

(And if you try to tip someone at one of the Antarctic sites like Port Lockroy or one of the research stations, they'll probably look at you like  you're nuts, because where are they going to spend that money? They'd have to haul it home with them first!)

• Like 1

As for the original question, I think having a bit of cash in GBP, USD, or EUR can be useful depending on where you're stopping.

I did encounter a small shop in the Falklands that was cash only. I don't recall which currencies they accepted, but since the only cash I had with me was some Argentinian pesos that I'd picked up pre-cruise at an ATM, I was out of luck.

At Grytviken in South Georgia, they had a minimum card purchase of £20. I had planned to pick up a few postcards and stamps, but I ended up buying a shirt just to reach the card minimum. I know they accepted GBP and USD. Not certain about EUR.

The research stations I've visited were mostly cash only and accepted USD and possibly the other major currencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Except that it's not common to do so in Ushuaia or the Falklands. It's not about where you're from; it's about where you are.

(And if you try to tip someone at one of the Antarctic sites like Port Lockroy or one of the research stations, they'll probably look at you like  you're nuts, because where are they going to spend that money? They'd have to haul it home with them first!)

That is exactly what I said.

DON

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

That is exactly what I said.

DON

I see. Since you quoted PP’s post and addressed her Australian origin specifically, it sounded as if you were disagreeing with her comment that tipping in these places was unnecessary.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:10 AM, donaldsc said:

DON

I tip in countries where it is relevant to do so. I do not tip it countries where it is not needed/required and in some cultures actually offensive.

The advice was specific to Ushuaia and Falkland Islands - and as I have been to both very regularly - it was also correct. So lay off with the 'ugly Australian' inference that you felt the need to direct at me.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:45 AM, bjbear said:

Wow, really??  I have always tipped the private shore excursion people but I like your answer.  Is it just us "ugly Americans" that seem to be tip happy?? 🤑

Thanks so much, Sue

Sadly yes Sue. We all understand that its a die hard habit in your own country. But when travelling one should adapt to the appropriate custom to the location they are in. 

17 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

I tip in countries where it is relevant to do so. I do not tip it countries where it is not needed/required and in some cultures actually offensive.

The advice was specific to Ushuaia and Falkland Islands - and as I have been to both very regularly - it was also correct. So lay off with the 'ugly Australian' inference that you felt the need to direct at me.

Sadly yes Sue. We all understand that its a die hard habit in your own country. But when travelling one should adapt to the appropriate custom to the location they are in. 

PP, thanks so much, you answered the question I asked, not a bunch of speculation. I specifically asked about Ushaia and the Falkland Island and tipping and you gave me the right answer.  It really is about where you are and customs in that location.

Thanks so much PP, Sue

• Like 1

Aside from all the opinions.  I understand that it is NOT customary to tip on excursions in Ushuaia, Argentina and the Falkland Islands.  Correct?  But if you DO wish to tip US dollars are okay.  Just want to clarify the information provided here.

Edited by TayanaLorna
Added more

Tayana I'm guessing you don't know many folks living on FI?  

Where do you propose they spend their US$ tips ? They need to hoard them up until it's worth the lost value in FEX. That's money they are then not spending til then so it is out of the economy and useless. 

If someone feels like they absolutely must tip and nothing is going to change their mind - then it is basic courtesy to do so in the local currency. 

On FI - buying the guide a beer would be suffice. 

1 hour ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Tayana I'm guessing you don't know many folks living on FI?  

Where do you propose they spend their US$ tips ? They need to hoard them up until it's worth the lost value in FEX. That's money they are then not spending til then so it is out of the economy and useless. 

If someone feels like they absolutely must tip and nothing is going to change their mind - then it is basic courtesy to do so in the local currency. 

On FI - buying the guide a beer would be suffice. 

My post was merely to clarify what had already been posted here with reference to the question which started this thread.

The only contact I have had on FI is a tour guide who wishes payment on the day of the tour in US dollars or British Pounds Sterling.  He said there are no ATM's on island.  If he did not want US dollars, he would not have asked for them in payment.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, TayanaLorna said:

My post was merely to clarify what had already been posted here with reference to the question which started this thread.

The only contact I have had on FI is a tour guide who wishes payment on the day of the tour in US dollars or British Pounds Sterling.  He said there are no ATM's on island.  If he did not want US dollars, he would not have asked for them in payment.

You are correct, but while the guides we have worked with in the FI will accept USD they much prefer pounds.  That is reflected in the relative price they show for the currencies.  Should you elect to use dollars make sure the bills are clean and in generally good condition.  Torn or marked up bills are difficult if not impossible for them to exchange 

9 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

You are correct, but while the guides we have worked with in the FI will accept USD they much prefer pounds.  That is reflected in the relative price they show for the currencies.  Should you elect to use dollars make sure the bills are clean and in generally good condition.  Torn or marked up bills are difficult if not impossible for them to exchange 

Most definitely.  In a communication with our guide service he requested crisp bills.  Was planning to ask for new currency at bank before I go.  I don't know anywhere I can get foreign currency in the territory where I live.  I can't even get bills larger then $20 at the banks.

As an American I may be biased.  But I am willing to bet less folks are going to be offended by the offer of a tip in a culture where one is not expected,   (and gladly pocket the gift)  than by not getting a tip when one is expected (and now at a financial disadvantage). There are exceptions, but as a general rule when in doubt offer a tip.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:55 AM, ed01106 said:

As an American I may be biased.  But I am willing to bet less folks are going to be offended by the offer of a tip in a culture where one is not expected,   (and gladly pocket the gift)  than by not getting a tip when one is expected (and now at a financial disadvantage). There are exceptions, but as a general rule when in doubt offer a tip.

Thats a very uneducated bias there. 

You need to understand how it affects the taxation circumstances of the individual as it is untaxed at source income. In some countries that can cause the individuals to be pushed into a different taxable income bracket which can affect them for the following year if their respective tax department then assesses using an estimate for the following year. 

There are also also many cultures - especially through Asia - where it is a deeply offensive insult to have a tip thrust upon oneself. They are then placed in an even more embarrassing position of having to refuse it. 

Is it that difficult to difficult understand that while you do it as a matter of course in your country - that is not the case everywhere. Just respect that. Seriously. Not doing so is why the whole stereotype of American tourists actually exists. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, kaisatsu said:

At Grytviken in South Georgia, they had a minimum card purchase of £20. I had planned to pick up a few postcards and stamps, but I ended up buying a shirt just to reach the card minimum. I know they accepted GBP and USD. Not certain about EUR.

Thanks.  I had no idea that EFTPOS would work in SG.