trekking poles

Markanddonna

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on the use of walking poles. We are going to be hiking around some places in Israel, Greece, etc., and I'm really clumsy. A 20+ year old who just returned advised me to get them. She said she would get some for her next trip.

More trouble than they are worth. In  Greece, at the  typical  stops, most of the time you are in  cities and you should not need them for walking on sidewalks and  up steps. Can't speak as to Israel

If you are as clumsy as I am...it will help.  There are lots of different makes and models available on Amazon...Costco even sells them right now.  Note: 1. Purchase one that's lightweight and collapsible. (ours even came with an attached mini flashlight.)  2. The trekking poles can also serve as "self-defense" and a deterrent....someone would think twice before doing anything to you. ☺️

• Like 1

A good set of hiking poles, used correctly will help. If you have a backpack they are easy to collapse and hook to the pack so they are not a hassle. 

Good hiking poles "stick" to certain surfaces. They are made to be used on rocks so would be great on cobblestone which is common in the area you are going. Like anything, learn how to use them properly - any good sports store will help provide the info (good sports store, not Dicks). Any hiking poles will help, decent poles used correctly provide multiple benefits. 

25 minutes ago, snowskier said:

A good set of hiking poles, used correctly will help. If you have a backpack they are easy to collapse and hook to the pack so they are not a hassle. 

Good hiking poles "stick" to certain surfaces. They are made to be used on rocks so would be great on cobblestone which is common in the area you are going. Like anything, learn how to use them properly - any good sports store will help provide the info (good sports store, not Dicks). Any hiking poles will help, decent poles used correctly provide multiple benefits. 

Ours collapsed and fit diagonally in our suitcase.

Trekking poles, used one in each hand in sync with your hiking strides on an even trail, may not be the answer for self-described clumsiness. Here are thoughts from "sectionhiker" about them:

• Trekking Poles: Pros and Cons. I'm a big fan of trekking poles for hiking because they help reduce the strain on my knees when I walk downhill, they improve my balance when I'm hiking over rough ground or crossing streams, and they are useful for establishing a good walking rhythm when synchronized with your arms.
  • Pros
  • Reduce strain on knees during descents
  • Improve balance when walking across rough terrain and stream crossings
  • Help establish a walking rhythm
  • Multi-purpose item that can be used to pitch ultralight shelters
  • Cons
  • Arm motion increases amount of energy required
  • Leaning forward on poles reduces biomechanical efficiency of carrying a backpack
  • Improper reliance on straps can lead to injury on falls due to wrist entrapment
  • Poles can catch on trees and brush while hiking on narrow trails or bushwhacking
  • Steel carbide tips can be potentially damaging to rocks and fragile plants
  • Care must be taken when walking across scree [i.e. stony] fields to prevent poles from snapping

Another thing is, you have to give up the use of both of your hands for carrying anything else or, say, taking photos. If you are foreseeing SCRAMBLING over rugged terrain, it might be that ONE collapsible hiking stick may be just the thing. 

My Dear Sis and BIL split a set of trekking poles every couple years, using one apiece. They do A LOT of scrambling over southern Utah's red rock topography! 

I write this as someone who owns two sets of trekking poles, used once, for one hike in a national park on New Zealand's North Island. That may not have been a fair trial, but enough to say, they are not immediately comfortable to use correctly! I still own them but intend to use as my Dsis/BIL -- one at a time.

As far as being allowed on board: get the collapsible kind, set it to the right height, and it does double duty as a cane. We know they let canes on board!

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

My Dear Sis and BIL split a set of trekking poles every couple years, using one apiece. They do A LOT of scrambling over southern Utah's red rock topography! 

Your idea of using only one pole seems the most sensible to me- something to provide a bit of stability. I think I'll buy a set and try them out first. Thanks to all for your input.

• Like 1

I definitely wish I had taken one (not two) on our Windstar cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona a couple of years ago. There were many times on tours or just wandering around towns, cobblestone streets, and castles where I would have felt safer and steadier. For instance, going up and down uneven stone steps at the Lisbon castle with no handrails. Will take one from now on on certain itineraries.

• Like 1

I use a hiking staff or as Kid calls it, Moses stick.  Can extend to about 60" & collapses at intervals down to a 30" cane; has a carbon steel tip with a removable rubber tip.  The hand knob can be removed to reveal a screw mount for a small camera.  Rubber(?) padding all around.

Has anyone encountered issues when taking trekking poles through airport security? I suppose it's best if you are actually using the poles as a mobility device. But if collapsed in your carry-on luggage they MIGHT be prohibited.

5 hours ago, mtwingcpa said:

Has anyone encountered issues when taking trekking poles through airport security? I suppose it's best if you are actually using the poles as a mobility device. But if collapsed in your carry-on luggage they MIGHT be prohibited.

Based on comments I have read on a backpacking forum....

Best - in checked bag

Sometimes okay, but not always.  - carry them on as long as you can convince TSA you are disabled and need them to walk.  (easier to do if you are a middle aged or older and going on a cruise, not so easy if you are 20 yo and bring backpacking equipment)

No chance - collapsed in carry on