Miami or New Orleans.

SailorMan20

Hi. I am looking at booking a cruise for December of 2020 or January 2021 and I have some questions I want to ask. 1. Better city to port out of Miami or New Orleans?I've never been to either city before 2. Which ship should I choose. Norwegian Encore or Norwegian Breakaway?

When boarding in New Orleans, you sail down the river for many hours before getting into the open water. It is interesting, when compared to sailing from Miami (a much larger - thus busier port), where you sail away and into the open water quickly.

Getting to and from the airport in NOLA is a lot easier than POM.

Don't choose the ship, choose the itinerary.

Jim

I've done both, and would do either again.  

Look at the itinerary and also the amenities of each cruise.  Some people prefer only large ships, some people prefer only small ships, some people prefer only certain ports... it all depends on what is important to YOU.  

For first-time cruisers, I generally recommend a smaller ship to start out.  Cruising is a totally different type of vacation, and a smaller ship allows you to figure out what you like and don't like and how it all works.  On a large ship, there is no way to do everything in one cruise, and you'll wear yourself out if you try to, IMO.  

• Like 1

I like both of the ports. Depends on what type of experience you are looking for. 

If it was me, I would pick Miami for that time of the year. It is far more likely to be cold in New Orleans at that time. Cold weather detracts from the vacation experience if you ask me.

If I'd been to neither city I'd choose NOLA. 

And spend a couple of days there pre-cruise, 

Fascinating city for a visitor, especially the waterfront / French quarter and the surrounding bayou - we've been back a couple of times on road trips.

And you've just reminded me of beignets .................... Mmmmm :classic_cool:

As visitors, Miami's not our sort of place. Other than South Beach & the bay behind we  rated it - and Ft Lauderdale - pretty bland.

Just MHO of course.

I haven't taken into account your travel to port or the ships' itineraries., which should be part of your decision.

JB :classic_smile:

On 6/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, JimnKaren said:

Getting to and from the airport in NOLA is a lot easier than POM.

Interesting you say that, when the distance from port to airport is twice the distance at New Orleans vs Miami.

Miami is probably the fourth closest port/airport combo, behind San Diego,  Ft Lauderdale and Boston.

New Orleans is a much more interesting city for a pre- or post-cruise visit, but Miami is a much better cruise port.  More flights, close to airport, perhaps six different lines and a dozen or so ships to choose, while New Orleans has just a couple of Carnival ships and one NCL.  

For a a winter cruise, Miami is warmer and closer to far more destinations - and better if you are just thinking about the cruise.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

New Orleans is a much more interesting city for a pre- or post-cruise visit, but Miami is a much better cruise port.  More flights, close to airport, perhaps six different lines and a dozen or so ships to choose, while New Orleans has just a couple of Carnival ships and one NCL. 

And Crystal will do some itineraries that start/end in New Orleans.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And Crystal will do some itineraries that start/end in New Orleans.

I wasn’t aware of their one departure scheduled for October.  Too bad there aren’t more upscale sailings from NY - it seems that market has been largely surrendered to NCL, the RCI monsters sailing from Bayonne, Carnival and very, very few others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wasn’t aware of their one departure scheduled for October.  Too bad there aren’t more upscale sailings from NY - it seems that market has been largely surrendered to NCL, the RCI monsters sailing from Bayonne, Carnival and very, very few others.

Also would love more sailings from nyc seems like very few , since I am not a carnival or ncl fan, have done a few hal from nyc About 5 years ago and a few princess out of Brooklyn. We visit nyc every year and it was handy doing our visit and cruise with just one airfare. 

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not sure how many Crystal do each year from NO, just that they have been stopping there for a number of years.

They do New England cruises out of NYC as well.