My Navigator Review

Hi all, we were on the May 15-30, 2019 Navigator sailing, a crossing from NYC to Amsterdam. I posted a review on CC, entitled (with an attempt at humour) "A Regent's Crossing".  While you can read the review if interested (I am not technically savvy enough to link it here; it is the second one on the Navigator list of reviews), overall we thought the cruise was very good, and our first time on Regent thus a success. Of course that the ship has since been refurbished may make some of our comments, for example regarding the somewhat limited storage space, irrelevant as the refurb seemed to address that concern.

While we felt some vibration, given we were on deck 10, forward, it was not at all bothersome.  We would return to Regent, given the right itinerary and pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

Hi all, we were on the May 15-30, 2019 Navigator sailing, a crossing from NYC to Amsterdam. I posted a review on CC, entitled (with an attempt at humour) "A Regent's Crossing".  While you can read the review if interested (I am not technically savvy enough to link it here; it is the second one on the Navigator list of reviews), overall we thought the cruise was very good, and our first time on Regent thus a success. Of course that the ship has since been refurbished may make some of our comments, for example regarding the somewhat limited storage space, irrelevant as the refurb seemed to address that concern.

While we felt some vibration, given we were on deck 10, forward, it was not at all bothersome.  We would return to Regent, given the right itinerary and pricing.

ON cruiser, thank you for taking the time for posting your thoughts on your first Regent cruise.  

Seems like you had a very nice cruise, I hope you return to Regent and try some of their other ships.  The Explorer is a fabulous ship, and the upcoming Splendor promises to be as well.

Here is the link to your review

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=659090

Bob

We were on same cruise and think the review is very fair and good.  Thank you for taking time to write.  We have been on Navigator 6 times and felt it was a very good cruise.  I totally agree that the service in Compass Rose could have been better, service otherwise was very good.  But it is funny how totally personal tastes can be different on other items but I respect the opinion.  I overall find Regent food bland.  I don’t want more salt.  Other spices would be nice and when appropriate garlic. I rarely finish anything onboard.  I do know I am not a foodie so it just is what it is.  I know this going onboard. Also, we liked the hands on computer/phone guy up in the lounge.  I’m not disagreeing with review at all.  This was their view on subjective things so just stating another opinion.  Not right or wrong. 

Edited by rcandkc
Added

Agree that the review was nice and also recommend that your next Regent cruise be on Explorer (or Splendor).  There is a huge difference between Navigator (Regent's oldest ship) and Explorer (Regent's newest ship - for the moment).

rcandkc - agree that Regent food can be bland.  So, since we like a little spice, we ask for a small side of Sambal (an Indonesian hot sauce).  Just a tiny bit adds a lot of flavor to our dishes.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that the review was nice and also recommend that your next Regent cruise be on Explorer (or Splendor).  There is a huge difference between Navigator (Regent's oldest ship) and Explorer (Regent's newest ship - for the moment).

rcandkc - agree that Regent food can be bland.  So, since we like a little spice, we ask for a small side of Sambal (an Indonesian hot sauce).  Just a tiny bit adds a lot of flavor to our dishes.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I now bring small tobasco bottles with me and with spaghetti sauce ask for additional onion and garlic...this works in Sette Marie but not well in Compass Rose.  

Thanks, folks, for the feedback, and thanks, Bob, for linking my review so others could easily see it.

Our next holiday this Fall will likely be a trip to the Holy Land (a land vacation) yet, if that falls through, a cruise will be the alternative. But we will certainly be looking at Regent in the future.

Smooth seas, all.

We were on the Navigator for the same dates and found it to be one of our better cruises.  Clive in the Navigator Lounge was a lot of fun and the passengers some of the friendliest.  We love the Navigator.  We'll be doing another transatlantic in April on the Splendor.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:33 PM, fudgbug said:

We were on the Navigator for the same dates and found it to be one of our better cruises.  Clive in the Navigator Lounge was a lot of fun and the passengers some of the friendliest.  We love the Navigator.  We'll be doing another transatlantic in April on the Splendor.

If you like Navigator, you will love Splendor.  No comparison - IMHO.

• Like 1

We've been on all of the Regent ships starting with the Song of Flower (our favorite) with the exception of the Explorer.  Will be on the Splendor in April 2020.  Next favorite is the Mariner.

41 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

We've been on all of the Regent ships starting with the Song of Flower (our favorite) with the exception of the Explorer.  Will be on the Splendor in April 2020.  Next favorite is the Mariner.

My mom's first Regent cruise was on the Song of Flower, she loved that ship and the cruise.  I still have the sweatshirt she brought back!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:19 AM, Cruiseluv19 said:

thank you for your review.  we are going on regent this winter for the first time and are a bit anxious about trying a smaller (all-inclusive) ship.

The smaller all inclusive ships are IMHO the best!  We wouldn't sail on one of the "monsters" even if it were free.

We've sailed on Explorer three times now and Splendor will be a very close copy - just minor design changes - I feel confident in saying that you'll love Explorer as much or more than Navigator.  Our first cruise was on Navigator and she holds a dear spot in our hearts but we love Explorer even more...enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

In spite of one so called Regent cheerleader perpetually trying to put people off Navigator, like everything else in life everyone has differing opinions. Navigator delivers the Regent experience as much as any of the other ships, yes it’s smaller but many appreciate that.

Explorer and the forthcoming Splendor may have more glitz but that’s not to everyone’s taste. Compass Rose on Explorer is terrible in terms of noise ( yes you can sit at the back where the ceiling is lower but that’s not always possible.) 

So make up your own mind, you won’t be disappointed with Navigator, after all it’s just been refurbished.

• Like 3

swansong - you are correct - we all have different tastes.  I really held back on this thread - only indicating that the Navigator is very different than Explorer.  However, since you brought it up, I will elaborate:

1.  There is no forward lounge on Navigator (all other Regent ships have a forward lounge.

2.  There is only 1 specialty restaurant on Navigator (2 or 3 on other Regent ships)

3.  Moderate to severe aft vibration (Voyager has a lesser vibration) but would avoid aft suites on Navigator.

4.  Ship is very cramped on the inside due to lack of sufficient pubic areas (Mariner and Explorer have a to of public areas).  The lack of space isn't an issue unless the weather is poor and everyone is inside.

The ship is beautiful - the food and service are as excellent as on other ships.  After 33 Regent cruises (on all four ships) my opinion is that Navigator does not match up to the other ships.

So, as I said above, there is no comparison between Navigator and Explorer.  Prior to the debut of Explorer, our favorite ship was Voyager and we have done several cruises on Mariner.

Edited by Travelcat2

2 hours ago, swansong said:

In spite of one so called Regent cheerleader perpetually trying to put people off Navigator, like everything else in life everyone has differing opinions. Navigator delivers the Regent experience as much as any of the other ships, yes it’s smaller but many appreciate that.

Explorer and the forthcoming Splendor may have more glitz but that’s not to everyone’s taste. Compass Rose on Explorer is terrible in terms of noise ( yes you can sit at the back where the ceiling is lower but that’s not always possible.) 

So make up your own mind, you won’t be disappointed with Navigator, after all it’s just been refurbished.

16 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

swansong - you are correct - we all have different tastes.  I really held back on this thread - only indicating that the Navigator is very different than Explorer.  However, since you brought it up, I will elaborate:

1.  There is no forward lounge on Navigator (all other Regent ships have a forward lounge.

2.  There is only 1 specialty restaurant on Navigator (2 or 3 on other Regent ships)

3.  Moderate to severe aft vibration (Voyager has a lesser vibration) but would avoid aft suites on Navigator.

4.  Ship is very cramped on the inside due to lack of sufficient pubic areas (Mariner and Explorer have a to of public areas).  The lack of space isn't an issue unless the weather is poor and everyone is inside.

The ship is beautiful - the food and service are as excellent as on other ships.  After 33 Regent cruises (on all four ships) my opinion is that Navigator does not match up to the other ships.

So, as I said above, there is no comparison between Navigator and Explorer.  Prior to the debut of Explorer, our favorite ship was Voyager and we have done several cruises on Mariner.

I still wish people could post on here without having to make things personal, but I guess that's the world we live in today...

My opinion on this matter is that yes, Navigator is older, smaller, shakier, and quirkier than her newer sisters, but I still feel that she delivers the Regent experience, which is made up in large part by the crew and officers - and the crew on Navigator always seems to me to be top notch.  Navigator was our first Regent cruise (first cruise ever, actually) and we still love the ship and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her...but it's hard to deny that she seems to have more, and more vocal, detractors than any of the other ships.  She's very polarizing, I think.  

My advice is to try a cruise on Navigator - you'll either love the ship or not love the ship.  If you like the Regent experience but not the quirks of Navigator, try another ship.  But if you like the Regent experience AND the quirks of Navigator, well, you have one more choice to sail on than people who don't like Navigator.

image.jpeg.98be3bc88aaed1c8fd45809a143a4a99.jpeg

• Like 3

Bill-- thanks for this commentary, and I totally agree. Reminds me of a very profound comment I picked up during my limited time in the Army many years ago-- "Opinions are like___, everybody has one, some are bigger than others!" ..."and that's all I have to say about that"