Transfer a booking?

Victory!

Hi all! 

I’m curious to know if anyone has ever created their own booking with the cruise line and then transferred to a travel agent. Was this a plus and could it ever be a negative? How did it turn out? 

I’ve heard you can possibly get perks with the travel agent that you may not get with the cruise line. This is only my second cruise and this one and the previous were with Carnival.  I think The one I’m booked for is an early saver fare but other than that I certainly have no perks or benefits that I know of. 

Would it make sense to transfer to a travel agent at this point? If so, should I do it before making my final payment which will be within the next couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

See, I do this all the time.

You get the perks from the cruise line and perks from the TA.  Although some TAs will give you a bit less for doing it this way.  Mine does not change whether I book direct or through the TA.

You have a certain amount of time after making the booking to transfer it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Victory! said:

Hi all! 

I’m curious to know if anyone has ever created their own booking with the cruise line and then transferred to a travel agent. Was this a plus and could it ever be a negative? How did it turn out? 

I’ve heard you can possibly get perks with the travel agent that you may not get with the cruise line. This is only my second cruise and this one and the previous were with Carnival.  I think The one I’m booked for is an early saver fare but other than that I certainly have no perks or benefits that I know of. 

Would it make sense to transfer to a travel agent at this point? If so, should I do it before making my final payment which will be within the next couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

As long as you transfer within the allowable time window (e.g., 30 days), why would you not get the best cruise line deal possible and then add TA perks?

Of course, your choice of cruise line is a factor in fine-tuning your purchase. On our preferred line, we almost always "book onboard," which nets us an added booking discount, lower price match guarantee (up until embarkation), current SBC et al. We assign the cruise to ourselves and then immediately shop it around among a small selection of that line's "preferred partner" top-selling TA's.

"Shopping around" your deal can then add TA rebate/SBC/gratuities etc -suggesting real savings of approx 5-10% +\-  of the commissionable fare.

Anticipating some replies that will suggest not giving up "control" of your booking to a TA, please be reminded that your single fare purchase is a "rounding error" in a ship's bottom line while that carefully selected TA you use may book $ millions annually with the same cruise line. Whose inquiries (yours or TA's) will get more immediate SATISFACTORY attention???

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

21 hours ago, Victory! said:

Wow!!!! This is a wealth of information. Thank you, all! I had no idea there was a timeline, I think I am well outside of the date but I will know next time.

Just additional info:  We sail with both Celebrity and RCCL.  We usually try to book onboard to get onboard credit from the cruise line and low deposit.  While booking onboard, we ask them to transfer our bookings to our travel agent. (Cruise Critc doesn't allow us to mention travel agents.) And yes, we transfer our bookings because we receive additional perks from our TA.  We then stay vigilant and watch for price drops.  We notify our travel agent who calls the cruise line and adjust our fare...we don't lose our OBC.

In some cases where we book from home, we typically have 60 days to transfer our bookings.  Fairly easy to transfer bookings....go online, complete the form....it takes about 10 days.  Flatbush Flyer gave you a ton of great information. We've learned so much from experienced members of this community.  We are thankful as well.

Happy Sailing! 😊

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, bonsai3s said:

Just additional info:  We sail with both Celebrity and RCCL.  We usually try to book onboard to get onboard credit from the cruise line and low deposit.  While booking onboard, we ask them to transfer our bookings to our travel agent. (Cruise Critc doesn't allow us to mention travel agents.) And yes, we transfer our bookings because we receive additional perks from our TA.  We then stay vigilant and watch for price drops.  We notify our travel agent who calls the cruise line and adjust our fare...we don't lose our OBC.

In some cases where we book from home, we typically have 60 days to transfer our bookings.  Fairly easy to transfer bookings....go online, complete the form....it takes about 10 days.  Flatbush Flyer gave you a ton of great information. We've learned so much from experienced members of this community.  We are thankful as well.

Happy Sailing! 😊

My experience with booking on board with RCI, is that they will automatically transfer it to the TA who is listed on your current sailing, unless you tell them otherwise.

• Thanks 1