Higher deck or aft, which is better to avoid seasickness?

80sGirl

If you only had two balcony cabins to choose from, one fairly midship on a higher deck (ms Eurodam, deck 8 ) or a lower deck (5) cabin that is aft, which would you choose? We're doing a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise at the end of September. Vertigo is an issue for me so I've put a hold on both while we decide! 🙂 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Probably Midship - deck 8 isn't that high on a modern ship, my wife is very prone to motion sickness and demands a window but isn't fussed about balconies, so we've often sailed on obstructed view midship cabins with lifeboats outside (these were all on 7 or 8 depending on the ship). Lower down is of course better, but I presume it's FAR Aft or you wouldn't be asking - and if it's actually a rear-facing one right at the back that would be a recipe for motion sickness for a large proportion of people! If it's a corner aft with a side view things get trickier... the wider angle on those makes them much more desirable cabins, you'd still be able to look out sideways without the 'things moving the wrong way' issue but the back end would be bouncier than the middle... so I'd flip a coin unless you get a solid data sample from many folks who have done both and give their experiences.

Either way though, best to assume you will get sick and have the right treatments available!!!

Thanks martincath. My paranoia about the rolling motion higher up got the better of me and we booked the deck 5 aft cabin. If the ocean gets rough, at least the aft end won't bounce as much as the bow end she says hopefully 🙂 .

I would go with the mid-ship cabin.  As martincath said above, Deck 8 is not  that high on newer ships.  Also, an aft location will roll  side to side while a location in the bow area will pitch which is more of an up and down motion which IMO is the worst for those affected by motion sickness.  You may have heard the phrase "pitch and roll" ?  If I am off base here, I am sure the Chief will set me straight!  LOL  🙂