White running shoe crowd.

newts.travel

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The world economy has improved and more folks are now in a position to travel.  We now see lots of tourists from countries that traditionally did not generate a lot of international tourists (China and Russia quickly come to mind).   More tourists going to the same places is just the way it 

Hank

Not only that, but the world's population is steadily increasing and will only continue to do so. Things will only ever get worse in reality. So I'd half expect to see some kind of restrictions imposed on those ports negatively impacted by cruise ships going forward. It's pretty much inevitable. 

Many ports have been  overwhelmed and crowded for quite some time with the advent of the " big beasts of the seas "  dropping off thousands at a time!

The title of this thread and  the original comment are  a cut to a certain group of tourists.  Stereotypes,  alive and well!

I don't think the main issue is too many tourists, although this does bring its own problems.

I recently saw a news item (UK news so covers Europe as well) about  a very large ship crashing in to a pier and tourist boat leaving four people injured and others running for their lives, which is part of the reason why the locals don't want large ships docking in Venice.

One of the other reasons is that the large ships are causing problems with the city's foundations and ecosystem. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Why do people constantly  post and/or ask questions that have nothing to do with Celebrity cruises in the Celebrity forum?  Maybe someone could ask about parking and hotels in Fort Lauderdale again while we are at it ........

I thought the answer to your question was obvious.  It is because Celebrity cruisers are the most intelligent, experienced and polite!  😁

12 hours ago, Blazerboy said:

"White Running Shoe crowd" means tourists, specically American tourists.  It's why when I travel, I only use sneakers/trainers/running shoes for exercise.  The phrase "when in Rome..."  applies to your wardrobe, too.

Hi Blazer,

I wont go anywhere without my Nike sneakers.  I always buy new ones when I leave on a cruise.  Sure I get a lot of stares but I just smile at them because I know how comfortable my feet feel.  When you get to a certain age you don’t care so much for how you look but, rather, how well you feel.😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeberdee said:

I don't think the main issue is too many tourists, although this does bring its own problems.

I recently saw a news item (UK news so covers Europe as well) about  a very large ship crashing in to a pier and tourist boat leaving four people injured and others running for their lives, which is part of the reason why the locals don't want large ships docking in Venice.

One of the other reasons is that the large ships are causing problems with the city's foundations and ecosystem. 

The incident you refer to is what started this thread. Not really relevant but Celebrity too have had their problems....     :)

Edited by Mynki

13 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, but the fashion people (LOL) say they're back!  Just look at the fashion mags and those riveting entertainment tabloid tv shows.  We were in the Med last month and so many young folks in white tennis shoes!  But really, who cares.

They are back!  We just spent six weeks starting in Heidelberg and ending up in Bucharest, and bright, stark white shoes were on local young people the whole way through.  Lots of Adidas and Nike branded clothing too, FWIW.  

• Like 2

I bet the OP didn’t plan on this being a fashion statement discussion!  Ha!  

Did a Rhine River cruise then spent a week in Munich. Loved it. Did a tour of Dachau Concentration Camp and a woman wore a bright colored Mickey Mouse jacket. Boy do I wish her error in dress code had been wearing white running shoes!  

Den

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Blazer,

I wont go anywhere without my Nike sneakers.  I always buy new ones when I leave on a cruise.  Sure I get a lot of stares but I just smile at them because I know how comfortable my feet feel.  When you get to a certain age you don’t care so much for how you look but, rather, how well you feel.😀

I am of the bad-back-and-knees crowd, so I have to have comfortable walking shoes that can also do double duty as work/dress shoes.  I also prefer loafers to lace ups for the same reason. 

So there are alternatives to the white sneakers look.  And I will be damned if I don't, to misquote, "slide into my grave with a cocktail in one hand, and Gucci loafers on my feet, saying wooohee, what a ride!"  No velcro strapped trainers for me!😁

(If you tell me you have velcro straps, I'm taking away your membership card!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amyr said:

They are back!  We just spent six weeks starting in Heidelberg and ending up in Bucharest, and bright, stark white shoes were on local young people the whole way through.  Lots of Adidas and Nike branded clothing too, FWIW.  

No offense, but the key to that phrase is "young."  The thought of the average cruiser in "mom jeans," a fanny pack and a windbreaker  that matches her husband's doesn't make me believe that they would be "in style" wearing white sneakers.😁  To be fair, I wouldn't be able to pull it off either.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blazerboy said:

No offense, but the key to that phrase is "young."  The thought of the average cruiser in "mom jeans," a fanny pack and a windbreaker  that matches her husband's doesn't make me believe that they would be "in style" wearing white sneakers.😁  To be fair, I wouldn't be able to pull it off either.😉

LOL, that's true.  For sure, the white running shoes the European hip are wearing are definitely sleeker than the American Oldster version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, newts.travel said:

Are you put off by the Venetian demonstrations against cruises ships. Planning a November cruise  from there but don't want to be part of a problem. Tourism in Europe is becoming a real problem as rich retirees hit the high seas in search of a carefree holiday. Have cruise ships and the people they bring to ports become a problem? 

I take it you are not 1. American and 2. A white sneaker wearer? So you dont want to take a cruise because you foresee a problem with locals not being receptive of cruise people? When people go on holidays they usually dont go for serious reasons - they are carefree. I'm actually surprised at this post. If you want to blend in and not heaven forbid look like a tourist then research the dress code of where you are going and wear that. I have been all over Europe in obscure places and I've never had locals be rude and I sometimes can't speak the language. A smile has gone a long way with me. Interestingly, I live outside Philadelphia and see many tourists riding open air buses or walking around old city even running up the art museum steps a la rocky, and I pay no attention to them. I actually like it because it brings money in.  Its possible the Europeans feel the same way.

1 hour ago, Blazerboy said:

I am of the bad-back-and-knees crowd, so I have to have comfortable walking shoes that can also do double duty as work/dress shoes.  I also prefer loafers to lace ups for the same reason. 

So there are alternatives to the white sneakers look.  And I will be damned if I don't, to misquote, "slide into my grave with a cocktail in one hand, and Gucci loafers on my feet, saying wooohee, what a ride!"  No velcro strapped trainers for me!😁

(If you tell me you have velcro straps, I'm taking away your membership card!)

We all differ in what we like.  I like sneakers, as they are comfortable.  A friend wears those Clark type sandals, but I think they smell like dirty feet.  

Venice natives have fled to the burbs because of costs and issues related to Venice

The gov in Venice has been trying to address tourism crush for generations... 

This debate isn't new-- go back and read the Italian newspapers of the the last 10, 20 + yrs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Blazer,

Exactly. I have fractured both of my feet at different times in the past and need to wear orthotics and solid, flat athletic shoes. I wear completely black ones with black socks. All. The. Time.

Yeah, many women will look down on my lack of fashion, but it’s far better to me to have less pain than to “look nice” for people who don’t understand how awful my feet can become in anything but sneakers. 

As a cruiser I want to do another cruise out of Venice.

As a person who sailed from there last year I understand why people are against cruises there. It is unbearable and unpleasant in many parts of Venice, especially San Marco. I've never seen such crowds anywhere. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

On Nike's website you can custom color the shoes.  I have Nike Air Max in all white and in all black.  

That's good idea and maybe the only way that you can get a quality running shoe that's all white.   Asics Kayano usually give me a better fit and I think Asics dropped solid colors several years ago.

20 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I like the Renaissance on 17th Street 

speaking of that hotel... there are some really good restaurants right around there. Have you tried southport raw bar or the 15th street fisheries? 

It’s difficult to argue that cruise ships bring in a lot of money to the ports they visit. Do they ruin the experience while in port ? to a degree in truth. I love the Caribbean but there is no doubt it’s changed due to cruise ships and often not in a good way.

12 minutes ago, yorky said:

It’s difficult to argue that cruise ships bring in a lot of money to the ports they visit. Do they ruin the experience while in port ? to a degree in truth. I love the Caribbean but there is no doubt it’s changed due to cruise ships and often not in a good way.

I think Venice is affected much much more than Caribbeans...

2 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I think Venice is affected much much more than Caribbeans...

In a different way, Venice has real problems with damage to buildings as well as overcrowding, the Caribbean islands have changed in order to incorporate cruise ships and lost a lot because of it.

• Like 1