Scooter use in Gibratar and Cartagena (Spain)

tommui987

Has anyone used a scooter in either Gibratar or Cartagena?

I can walk but only for short distances.

Been to Gibratar before and I was thinking of the town itself and perhaps to the cable car lift.

(Obviously not to the caves) 🙂

Thanks!

22 hours ago, tommui987 said:

Has anyone used a scooter in either Gibratar or Cartagena?

I can walk but only for short distances.

Been to Gibratar before and I was thinking of the town itself and perhaps to the cable car lift.

(Obviously not to the caves) 🙂

Thanks!

If you are using a scooter, you should google the areas you are visiting, and pay attention to things like busses, transportation and look at pictures, focusing on sidewalks, and notice if you see curb cut outs etc.  Not everyone, and not every scooter is made the same way, and what is good for us, may not be good for you.  I could say, I had no problems, and you can say, that it was impossible.  Reason is because I lift my wife's scooter up curbs, but maybe you can't.  Any attraction you want to see, you should also check on their HC policy online. 

Been around the world, with my wife using a scooter and always made it work.

It has been many years ago since in Gibraltar (November 2008). We first shared a taxi with others and went to the top to see the monkeys and a fort. Ruth could walk with crutches and I could do limited distances. We were able to secure our scooters at one of the vendors booths. After seeing the monkeys and mountain, we just got on our scooters and wandered around town. All within short distance of the ship. Note: I'm assuming you meant Gibraltar.

Cartagena was also a number of years ago (October 2007). However, the dock is a ways out of town. We negotiated a deal with a taxi driver to take us to town and back to the ship. One of those deals where you pay after you get back to the ship. He was able to put our scooters in the trunk. That vehicle had a very large trunk. We were also there in October 2014, however this time we did not go into town. They had built rather nice park which I think included a few zoo animals. Memory gets a little vague sometimes.

Considering the extreme locations, I'm guessing you are either taking multiple cruises or attempting to decide. Regardless, have a wonderful cruise.

Like previous poster stated, most cities now offer accessible public transportation. Gibraltar everything was close to the ship, thus no need. Cartagena now offers a ho ho bus, but I not know if it is accessible. You might look up the that bus. Normally they indicate on their websites info regarding accessibility.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The thread title tells you which Cartagena it is.  EM

I thought so, but it looks that  the answer of raindropsalways might be about Cartagena Colombia. There is no hopon off bus in Cartagena, Spain. Ships in general there dock close to the small town.

Edited by Ine

Ine:

Thanks again for your help!

I do a lot of research on ports and disability facvtors - watching videos on YouTube and looking at roadways (how many potholes, cobblestones etc) and have used a mobility scooter in Europe before (Florence, Naples, Cordoba etc).

However what I needed was specific information on Cartagena and Gibratar..

Ine: Thanks on the tip on the train. Sent them an e-mail!

Edited by tommui987
spell cheeckl typos