Here's why I'll never do a large ship again!

clo

9 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

A picture is worth a thousand words!

That was a CC article about how to avoid standing in lines.  My worst nightmare would be to be on this ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

What ship is this?  I consider anything greater than 1000 passengers to be way too large.

DON

I have no idea.  It's not referred to.  We hadn't cruised in a few years and did Hurtigruten 2x with approx. 400 and 100.  December will be Oceania's Marina with 1200.

It all depends on the venue and time of the year. Just got off a 49 day with 3500 passengers and never had anything close to that mass of people. 99% of the time you could always find a quiet place if you wanted.  Never felt crowded except in the hall right outside the main theater show when the show was over.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

That looks like a special event.  In any case, if you don't want to cruise on a large ship again, then don't!  That was easy.

Mostly I thought the photo was hilarious.  I can't imagine anyone over the age of max 25 wanting to be on a ship that size.  And, yes, it like was an event.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, perditax said:

This was the one that did it for me.

Atlantis-Allure-of-the-Seas.jpg

On no!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do you know what and where?????????  What a nightmare.  And that ship looks too easy to get lost in/on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clo said:

On no!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do you know what and where?????????  What a nightmare.  And that ship looks too easy to get lost in/on.

I believe it’s RC allure, and to be fair it was a theme cruise and some major event was happening in the forward outdoor theater. But still, it’s a real photo to the best of my knowledge. 

1 minute ago, clo said:

This looks like a concert on one of the Oasis class RCCL ships.  The picture the OP posted was a Carnival ship, perhaps Dream or Vista class, that CC was using to illustrate overcrowding.

When I sail Carnival, I try to avoid the main pool area and can find much less crowded spaces further aft or on a higher deck.  There's not much happening that would interest me around the main pool area anyway.  Of course, others will want to be in the center of action and I say good for them.

There's always my uncrowded balcony as well!

We just did a 15 day TA on the 4,000 pax NCL Epic, and there were rarely crowds or lines to deal with.  We reserved all our meal and entertainment times, yes, you can reserve seating in their Free Style MDR.  Some other pax complained about overcrowding on this sailing, and I don't doubt their experience,

Nice thing about cruising is that there are enough options to please the majority of folk.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be as popular and have so many repeat customers.

Whatever floats your boat!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, perditax said:

I believe it’s RC allure, and to be fair it was a theme cruise and some major event was happening in the forward outdoor theater. But still, it’s a real photo to the best of my knowledge. 

Looks like the aft to my old aging eyes??????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fyree39 said:

I've read a few of your posts. I'd say you'll fit in perfectly around here. I loved your "no one over 25 would cruise on a mega ship" post. Nice one.

Approaching 70, and we're trying the Symphony of the Seas for the 1st time this January, YIKES!  Teaming up with some old HS buddies we re-met after our 50th class reunion.

I don't think we're the only old odd balls trying a Meg Gigantic ship.😮🤤

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I've read a few of your posts. I'd say you'll fit in perfectly around here. I loved your "no one over 25 would cruise on a mega ship" post. Nice one.

Aren't there affordable options on at least somewhat smaller ships?

6 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Approaching 70, and we're trying the Symphony of the Seas for the 1st time this January, YIKES!  Teaming up with some old HS buddies we re-met after our 50th class reunion.

Allow me to sincerely ask, what's the appeal?  (I'm 72!)

Reminds me of the Royal Princess, we went to the welcome aboard party, went early, got a nice seat/table on the rail in one of the elevated bars so we could watch what was going on.  My dh was wearing a white dinner jacket, since it was a formal night, when Captain came to give talk we literally had folks with drinks in hand leaning over us to see what was going on... unbelievable... last time for us on the Royal class...too people, too people with no brains, finally had to tell one lady to step back since we did not want her cocktail which was "green" spilled all over my dh.    My dh is 87,  that is why we went early to find a table and chairs, never expected folks to behave so.   We had a another group, with a senior  - who was expecting some one to get up give the senior a chair, that is why we went early, my dh can't stand long either.   We are not booked on the Coral and Grand... a bit smaller and easier to manage.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Not to worry. DH and I did Allure at the ripe old age of 75 and 73. Did it just to experience a mega ship not expecting to be impressed. Wrong. It was really enjoyable. Only thing we did do was avoid the windjammer. However there are many other options. 

Have a great cruise!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, josumello said:

Not to worry. DH and I did Allure at the ripe old age of 75 and 73. Did it just to experience a mega ship not expecting to be impressed. Wrong. It was really enjoyable. Only thing we did do was avoid the windjammer. However there are many other options. 

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for replying.  Please tell us about the enjoyable parts.  TIA.

1 hour ago, perditax said:

This was the one that did it for me.

Atlantis-Allure-of-the-Seas.jpg

I did a Google search for this photo and found out it was an Atlantis gay cruise on Allure of the Seas in 2016. Just try to find any women in this photo. Not many! 

• Haha 1

Just now, SantaFeFan said:

I did a Google search for this photo and found out it was an Atlantis gay cruise on Allure of the Seas in 2016. Just try to find any women in this photo. Not many! 

Er, there are gay women, ya know.  And who cares?

• Haha 1