Zaanse Schans

For anyone who has done a tour to this area, would it be necessary to book in advance or just get tickets “day of”?  We would be there the first week of September so not sure of the tourist crowds.

Why would you book it in advance? Simply take a train or bus, walk around and visit the places you are interested in. Entrance is free, you only pay for windmills you want to see inside.

Zaanse Schans can be busy, often more busy during weekends then weekdays.

https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Edited by Ine

Thank you for the advice.  I guess we will wait and purchase a train or bus ticket when we are in Amsterdam to visit Zaanse Schans.  Is it also the same area where the cheese making place is located as well as clog making?

6 hours ago, Ginlyn said:

Thank you for the advice.  I guess we will wait and purchase a train or bus ticket when we are in Amsterdam to visit Zaanse Schans.  Is it also the same area where the cheese making place is located as well as clog making?

Yes, check the link I gave you!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a re-created community that's fun to visit when you're short on time.  Others think so to, so it does, indeed get crowded as the day goes on.  It's so close to Amsterdam that if you are concerned about taking a train or bus, it isn't outrageously expensive to go by Uber.

I recommend train rather than the Connexion bus, as the bus takes much longer to get back to Centraal Station if the traffic is heavy. Advantage of the bus is that it stops RIGHT outside, so you would save yourselves some steps at the end of the day.  We went there by train and home by bus. Zaanse Schans is a fun outing for a half day or longer; there is lots to see there.  Very photogenic, with the windmills, domestic animals, canals, flowers, etc. The clog-making demonstration takes place inside a clog shop that includes a little museum with some interesting exhibits. You can't miss it; it's near the main entrance to the site. Enjoy!