JUNE 15TH SAILING ON THE SEASIDE - FABULOUS!

#1TravelMom

We've just returned from our 2nd Seaside sailing.  Our first was Thanksgiving of 2019.  We had a great time on our first sailing but I continued to read reviews of mediocre food and sub-par service.  So, I set out on this second cruise to purposefully look for these deficiencies.  I thought I may have been oblivious to MSC shortcomings on our first trip.  I'm definitely a "glass half full" person and think every cruise is fabulous.  We've done more than 60 and have had some better than others, but always make the most of each trip.  

We were not Yacht club guests.  I would like to give my emphatic opinion that you can have a great time in without Yacht Club.  I guess I don't miss what I've never tried.  

We traveled with a group of 18 from ages 12-50ish.  Everyone concurred that this was a great cruise. 

EMBARKATION AND DISEMBARKATION:  No issues - on and off in no time.  

FOOD:  We all utilized the buffet for breakfast and lunch.  We found the choices plentiful.  Hot food - hot and cold food -cold.  The younger ones would have liked 24 hour ice cream, but survived by cramming 3 cones per day in the available time frame.  

The workers in the buffet area are so vigilant.  As soon as we finished a plate of food, they swooped in to gather the empty plate.  We never walked by tables of dirty dishes.  I can say for sure that the dining room delivered the most prompt dinner service we've ever experienced.  We never had a lengthy wait for the next course.  The pace was perfect.  By the 2nd night, they new exactly what we all drank.  Our servers, John Sales and Jevish Ummathallegadoo were spectacular!!!  The choices in the dining room varied.  I enjoyed everything I tried.

SHOWS:  We had seen then in November, but enjoyed them again.  We did not see Butterflies.  The few notes of opera in the other shows exceeded my husband's lifetime limit.  The shows are entertaining - a brief variety show/talent show hybrid.  Somehow the Michael Jackson show seemed to bring out the best of the entertainers.  They were much more lively and danced in unison.  The show was very good for a cruise ship production.  Be sure to make reservations for the entire week as soon as you board.  It is very easy to use any electronic board on any floor.

ACTIVITIES:  Hopefully, MSC can take notes here.  The dance classes DO NOT fit in the Haven Lounge.  Trivia DOES NOT fit in the atrium.  Quest DOES NOT fit in the Haven Lounge.  Etc., Etc.  Please walk around and take a crowd assessment during activities.  If it is packed with standing room only, consider moving it to a larger venue.  Some in our group were disappointed they couldn't attend certain things due to overcrowding.  When you have great activities, why give guests a negative opinion by being unable to attend.  We were pleased with the selection of activities, just disappointed that we couldn't attend some of them.  I'd rather not arrive 30 minutes early for trivia.  Small note - it would be nice if under 18 could attend the crafts.  Not such an issue on a sunny day, but if it had rained, our girls would have enjoyed this.  

STAFF:  I tried to be very observant and dial back my usual perkiness to see if I could find some unfriendly staff.  I only found one - although slightly provoked by me(in my daughter's opinion).  A bartender was not happy when I asked for 3 glasses of ice.  He handed them to me with about 6 small ice cubes in each.  I asked if I could have more ice in them.  He handed them back with double the ice - but still only half full.  I then requested glasses "full" of ice.  He then proceeded to fill them and mound the ice over the top.  My daughter, who is a server, said I was lucky he didn't throw them at me.  I questioned everyone in our group and each said the staff was awesome.  

Gene Young is still the Cruise Director.  He is hilarious.  After all of the cruises we've taken, he is literally the only Cruise Director I remember by name.  What an asset to MSC!

Room Steward:  Tracy Blackburn - She was just great.  She was very friendly and did a great job the entire cruise.

TENDER SERVICE:  I felt this went smoothly.  The line to get tickets was extremely long but moved quickly when it opened.  

I spoke to many cruisers on the ship.  Everyone agreed that the minor issues on the Seaside are consistent with all ships we've been on.  If someone could just figure out how to get thousands of people off the ship in Cozumel without a crowd  - and fit thousands of people in lounge chairs directly around the pools - we'd be perfectly happy.  

We had a great trip.  This is a beautiful ship with lots to offer.  We cruise all major cruise lines and a wide variety of ships.  I would put the Seaside in our top 5. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I also had a wonderful time in an aft Aurea suite on Seaside March 2018- food was good and the staff were friendly. I actually ran into 2 of the bar servers from Seaside on my past Divina trip (Carmen from Miramar bar and Phila from Miami Beach bar). I'm currently booked on the 2020 Meraviglia repo from NYC to Miami, but I really want to book another trip on Seaside!

On 6/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We had a great trip.  This is a beautiful ship with lots to offer.  We cruise all major cruise lines and a wide variety of ships.  I would put the Seaside in our top 5. 

What other ships are in your top 5?

RCCL Harmony, Anthem

MSC Seaside

NCL Breakaway, Getaway

We are booked on the Symphony in October, so it will likely take a place in the top five.

If we were rating ships for adults only, I may throw in a Princess ship.  We are 50-ish, but still really like the newer  active ships with water slides, Etc.  We don't spend all day on the ropes courses or waterslides, but it's fun to give them a few tries. My older daughter says we are getting old and jokes that we going to break a hip.

9 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

We don't spend all day on the ropes courses or waterslides, but it's fun to give them a few tries. My older daughter says we are getting old and jokes that we going to break a hip.

How old are your children? We have an upcoming  cruise scheduled for next February with two other families... 5 kids ranging from 11-14, 4 boys and  a girl. Hoping they will be able to have time to explore and play on their own as well as with the “ aging parents.”  Will the teenagers enjoy?

The kids in our group were 12 to 18 years old. My daughter and her friend are 12 and 14 years old. They had a blast! They have found that there was plenty to do. There is a kids splash park. Even though they are older, they still playing in it. There are things to climb. There are also three big water slides. They liked all of the shows.  We also bought a fun pass and they did the 5D Theater and bowling. They were so busy, they never even had time to check out the teen club and do any of those activities. With four ports and going to dinner with us every evening, they were kept pretty busy.

We thought the fun pass was a pretty good deal. We bought it online before we left. It cost $100 for $180 worth of credit on the ship. It could be used for the $11 zipline, the race car simulator$10,  bowling $45, and the 5D Theater $10, as well as a few Motorcycle arcade games $2. It would have been nice if there had been more arcade games for them to use it on, but since we shared it with another family, it was just the right amount.  

Just a tip to anyone else reading, if you'd like to bowl, make your reservation at the beginning of the week as it fills up. The bowling alley as above hey dining area, so there is a large chunk of the evening that it can't be used. Also, if you check out the arcade desk and they say they are booked full, check back at periodic times for cancellations. We were offered a discounted rate if we would bowl during a last minute cancellation at 10:30 one evening.

I honestly can't imagine anyone not having a great time on this trip. Our group of 18 had a blast!

How many total are in your group? What are your ports?

11 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

The kids in our group were 12 to 18 years old. My daughter and her friend are 12 and 14 years old. They had a blast! They have found that there was plenty to do. There is a kids splash park. Even though they are older, they still playing in it. There are things to climb. There are also three big water slides. They liked all of the shows.  We also bought a fun pass and they did the 5D Theater and bowling. They were so busy, they never even had time to check out the teen club and do any of those activities. With four ports and going to dinner with us every evening, they were kept pretty busy.

How many total are in your group? What are your ports?

Thank you! 

We are a much smaller party..five adults and five kiddos. We are doing Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and the private island. This is our first cruise together with kids. Everyone has cruised before and with their kids. This is the first time the other parties are doing MSC. We loved it on the Divina and explained the differences to the other cruise lines.

Ouch  on the bowling...definitely a bit more than on Divina!! We will be pre-purchasing the fun pass as well! We did last time too but Seaside offers a lot more!

We actually got the bowling for $25 since we took the spot of a last minute cancellation.  Asked for free shoes - got them.

If you haven't booked excursions yet, I highly recommend Stingray Sailings in Grand Cayman.  We've used them many times.  So nice to be able to spread out on a beautiful catamaran.  When we arrive at the sandbar, we feel bad for the people crammed on other tour boats and ship excursions.  Stingray Sailing prices are the same or cheaper and they provide amazing service.  We were sure to get off the ship on an early tender so we could get to the sandbar asap.  We had 1 1/2 hours to spend at the gorgeous 7 mile beach at the end of the day.

Also, in Jamaica, we always tour with Cool Dave.  He has nice vehicles and is all-around a great guy.  Last week we did Dunn's and Secret Falls/Blue Hole and had a fabulous day!  The kids climbed Dunns Falls twice, while we took our time relaxing under some falls and taking lots of pics. So nice to set your own pace. 

• Like 1

I have a question about the dining times. Right now we are booked for late seating but I have heard there are three times. Is this true? We only booked the time we have because the early seating was too early for us. I'm afraid to keep the time we have because I understand the late seating can be as late as 9:30. I also would like to change my time if necessary before sailing in case we are stuck with the late time. Thanks!!

I think the dining time depends on the category you book.  Bella has lowest priority, for example.  I know there were people dining at 9:30 on our sailing.  That would also be too late for us.  I know we had the same concern.  They said it could only be addressed once on board.  You don't find out your dining time until you get your cruise card.  Sorry I can't be more help.

8 hours ago, Carnival Cutie said:

I have a question about the dining times. Right now we are booked for late seating but I have heard there are three times. Is this true? We only booked the time we have because the early seating was too early for us. I'm afraid to keep the time we have because I understand the late seating can be as late as 9:30. I also would like to change my time if necessary before sailing in case we are stuck with the late time. Thanks!!

Dining times are 5:15/5:30, 7:15/7:30 a d 9:15/9:30. (Two dining rooms, three seatings in each). 

Early is the 5 or 7 and late is 7 or 9.  So the 7 can go either way - That's how it was on our last sailing.  

Thank you for the replies. We are booked as Bella and at the time we booked we were told by the travel professional there were only two times available for seating so as I mentioned earlier we went for late booking. When we sailed on Carnival we usually booked late seating (we did flexible once) because early was too early for us. We have sailed on Royal, Norwegian and Celebrity and did late on them as well until Norwegian switched to Freestyle. Do you know if it is necessary for us to wait until we sail to make the change? We would be good with either 7 or 7:30 but I really don't want to be stuck with 9:30.  We don't sail until September so there's time to make the change.

6 hours ago, Carnival Cutie said:

Thank you for the replies. We are booked as Bella and at the time we booked we were told by the travel professional there were only two times available for seating so as I mentioned earlier we went for late booking. When we sailed on Carnival we usually booked late seating (we did flexible once) because early was too early for us. We have sailed on Royal, Norwegian and Celebrity and did late on them as well until Norwegian switched to Freestyle. Do you know if it is necessary for us to wait until we sail to make the change? We would be good with either 7 or 7:30 but I really don't want to be stuck with 9:30.  We don't sail until September so there's time to make the change.

Unfortunately, you can only choose early or late, and then the time is assigned. You can't pick a specific time.

And you find out your time and restaurant at check-in - it's on your card.

If it doesn't suit, see the maitre'd as soon as possible to see about changing - they'll move you if space is available at your preferred time.  If they can't do it right away, check back the next day. 

1 hour ago, Carnival Cutie said:

I get that you either pick early or late but if there's actually three times in each dining room why are you not able to choose the second time? I would be okay with either 7 or 7:30, I just don't want to be stuck with 9 or 9:30.

As I noted, on our most recent Seaside cruise - they classified the 7:15/7:30 as both early and late - that is, people who had picked early, were assigned the 7ish time and people who had picked late were als assigned the 7ish time. The 7ish time seems to flip flop between both early and late, wig maybe 7:15 being early and 7:30 being late - if that's how they do it. 

They don't have three options to choose, ie early, middle and late - it's just early or late - you don't get to pick the actual one - just register your preference.. (Same as any other cruise line when doing traditional dining  - you pick early or late and are assigned the time within those parameters. Some lines have three times, some have two, etc - you don't pick the actual time, just your preference.).

If you're not happy with the time you're assigned at check-in, go see the maitre'd, just like on any line - they'll move you to your preferred time if it's at all possible. And if it's not possible day one, try again the next day as people do change their mind.

All you can do is register your preference. And make changes aboard if needed. 

On 6/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We've just returned from our 2nd Seaside sailing.  Our first was Thanksgiving of 2019.  We had a great time on our first sailing but I continued to read reviews of mediocre food and sub-par service.  So, I set out on this second cruise to purposefully look for these deficiencies.  I thought I may have been oblivious to MSC shortcomings on our first trip.  I'm definitely a "glass half full" person and think every cruise is fabulous.  We've done more than 60 and have had some better than others, but always make the most of each trip.  

We were not Yacht club guests.  I would like to give my emphatic opinion that you can have a great time in without Yacht Club.  I guess I don't miss what I've never tried.  

We traveled with a group of 18 from ages 12-50ish.  Everyone concurred that this was a great cruise. 

EMBARKATION AND DISEMBARKATION:  No issues - on and off in no time.  

FOOD:  We all utilized the buffet for breakfast and lunch.  We found the choices plentiful.  Hot food - hot and cold food -cold.  The younger ones would have liked 24 hour ice cream, but survived by cramming 3 cones per day in the available time frame.  

The workers in the buffet area are so vigilant.  As soon as we finished a plate of food, they swooped in to gather the empty plate.  We never walked by tables of dirty dishes.  I can say for sure that the dining room delivered the most prompt dinner service we've ever experienced.  We never had a lengthy wait for the next course.  The pace was perfect.  By the 2nd night, they new exactly what we all drank.  Our servers, John Sales and Jevish Ummathallegadoo were spectacular!!!  The choices in the dining room varied.  I enjoyed everything I tried.

SHOWS:  We had seen then in November, but enjoyed them again.  We did not see Butterflies.  The few notes of opera in the other shows exceeded my husband's lifetime limit.  The shows are entertaining - a brief variety show/talent show hybrid.  Somehow the Michael Jackson show seemed to bring out the best of the entertainers.  They were much more lively and danced in unison.  The show was very good for a cruise ship production.  Be sure to make reservations for the entire week as soon as you board.  It is very easy to use any electronic board on any floor.

ACTIVITIES:  Hopefully, MSC can take notes here.  The dance classes DO NOT fit in the Haven Lounge.  Trivia DOES NOT fit in the atrium.  Quest DOES NOT fit in the Haven Lounge.  Etc., Etc.  Please walk around and take a crowd assessment during activities.  If it is packed with standing room only, consider moving it to a larger venue.  Some in our group were disappointed they couldn't attend certain things due to overcrowding.  When you have great activities, why give guests a negative opinion by being unable to attend.  We were pleased with the selection of activities, just disappointed that we couldn't attend some of them.  I'd rather not arrive 30 minutes early for trivia.  Small note - it would be nice if under 18 could attend the crafts.  Not such an issue on a sunny day, but if it had rained, our girls would have enjoyed this.  

STAFF:  I tried to be very observant and dial back my usual perkiness to see if I could find some unfriendly staff.  I only found one - although slightly provoked by me(in my daughter's opinion).  A bartender was not happy when I asked for 3 glasses of ice.  He handed them to me with about 6 small ice cubes in each.  I asked if I could have more ice in them.  He handed them back with double the ice - but still only half full.  I then requested glasses "full" of ice.  He then proceeded to fill them and mound the ice over the top.  My daughter, who is a server, said I was lucky he didn't throw them at me.  I questioned everyone in our group and each said the staff was awesome.  

Gene Young is still the Cruise Director.  He is hilarious.  After all of the cruises we've taken, he is literally the only Cruise Director I remember by name.  What an asset to MSC!

Room Steward:  Tracy Blackburn - She was just great.  She was very friendly and did a great job the entire cruise.

TENDER SERVICE:  I felt this went smoothly.  The line to get tickets was extremely long but moved quickly when it opened.  

I spoke to many cruisers on the ship.  Everyone agreed that the minor issues on the Seaside are consistent with all ships we've been on.  If someone could just figure out how to get thousands of people off the ship in Cozumel without a crowd  - and fit thousands of people in lounge chairs directly around the pools - we'd be perfectly happy.  

Did you by chance have a drink package? I am so confused about it. We will be sailing in September and I would love to get the right information on what is available on the Easy Drink Package; it would make my life a whole lot easier if anyone could help me out with this question. Thank you in advance!

6 minutes ago, Ladygmfd1 said:

Did you by chance have a drink package? I am so confused about it. We will be sailing in September and I would love to get the right information on what is available on the Easy Drink Package; it would make my life a whole lot easier if anyone could help me out with this question. Thank you in advance!

easy seaside.jpeg

On 6/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, #1TravelMom said:

If you haven't booked excursions yet, I highly recommend Stingray Sailings in Grand Cayman.  We've used them many times.  So nice to be able to spread out on a beautiful catamaran.  When we arrive at the sandbar, we feel bad for the people crammed on other tour boats and ship excursions.  Stingray Sailing prices are the same or cheaper and they provide amazing service.  We were sure to get off the ship on an early tender so we could get to the sandbar asap.  We had 1 1/2 hours to spend at the gorgeous 7 mile beach at the end of the day.

How was getting tender tickets?  What time did you get in line?  What time did you get off the ship?

We are booked with Stingray Sailings and my only real concern it's getting off the ship on time to met them at the pier.   

56 minutes ago, Epos Man said:

easy seaside.jpeg

So, from what I understand from others' reviews, if my husband orders a Bloody Mary, it is listed as $9 so we do not get credited the $6 and have to pay the $3 difference...we have to pay the entire $9...is that correct? Also, what if I do not want Scotch and Coke...can I use another mixer? I'm so confused by all this...