Fort Lauderdale To The Amazon - Past Cruisers?

I am considering the cruise that HAL seems to offer annually in November/December roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale and up the Amazon to Manaus.  One port of call is Devil's Island.  Question for past cruisers - did they show the Steve McQueen/Dustin Hoffman version of "Papillon" on board?   It would be fun to see the movie before stopping there to see the actual place.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm 99% certain they do.  I'm not home now to look in detail but you can check my programs from the cruise here:

https://amazonextended.wordpress.com/programs/on-location-prinsendam/

Roy

Roy, Thanks a million for the link to the daily programs.  Although the 2020 itineray will be somewhat different, they are a wealth of info and are building my enthusiasm for the cruise.

• Like 1

HI  Keep in mind that they have remade the movie recently so here's hoping you get the right one.

We didn't actually land on Devil's Island but a neighbouring one.  I sent postcards from there marked Devil's Island but no one received them here.

I did that cruise quite awhile ago and it was wonderful.  I did tours that took me further up the river on smaller boats to see the tributaries.  FYI - I kid you not but lots of folks cancelled their tours because they had no idea it could be so hot near the equator.

Enjoy - Shar

Edited by Ontariotrekker

I sailed this itinerary on the original Royal Princess several years ago and the movie was shown.  We were not able to stop at Devil's Island due to sea conditions that didn't allow for tendering.  The Amazon itinerary is a very good one.

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I sailed this itinerary on the original Royal Princess several years ago and the movie was shown.  We were not able to stop at Devil's Island due to sea conditions that didn't allow for tendering.  The Amazon itinerary is a very good one.

I almost think if tendering didn't work on the way down it would be worthwhile to try to stop on the way back even if it meant cancelling another port.

Roy

Just now, rafinmd said:

I almost think if tendering didn't work on the way down it would be worthwhile to try to stop on the way back even if it meant cancelling another port.

Roy

Royal Princess was on a repositioning cruise to Europe when I sailed on the Amazon,  Fort Lauderdale-Manaus-Civitavecchia.  When we left the Amazon, we visited Receife and then began the trans-Atlantic to Dakar, are next port.

3 hours ago, Ontariotrekker said:

- I kid you not but lots of folks cancelled their tours because they had no idea it could be so hot near the equator.

Enjoy - Shar

I can believe it, Shar. On a cruise around the horn of South America several years ago, a woman was checking out the gear in the shop and was overheard by one of my tablemates saying that she didn't know she would need a jacket since we were sailing south! 😜😜😜

• Haha 1

More than a few blamed their travel agents for not disclosing the weather conditions.

On a related note, on a Hal tour of the Baltic area, a few folks complained about the endless sunlight.  Shop did a great sale on sleep masks.

Shar

You will actually tender to and stay on Insula Royale.  Be prepared to be met by an "inmate" to take photos with and then be prepared to walk the island.  You have to go around to the other side from where you land to actually see anything significant on Devil's Island but it is quite like what you see in the original movie.  I believe that some of the set from the movie is still visible over on the island.  There are monkeys and lizards (among other things) on the islands that make it truly seem remote, which it is.

It will likely be terrifically hot, humid and breezy.  There are some rather steep stairs to walk to get to the old headquarters of the prison and to the hotel at the top of the island where, with Euros, you can buy coffee and water and snacks.  Wear light, wicking clothing and bring a hat, sunglasses, bug spray, sunscreen, camera and water.  No joke, make sure you have water.  The other side of the hill features a steep and not well maintained long ramp (assume it was used for vehicles in the past) so there is a lot of careful walking to do.

We truly enjoyed the experience.  It's still incredible that they used to house prisoners there given the difficult conditions the guards and admin had to endure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ontariotrekker said:

More than a few blamed their travel agents for not disclosing the weather conditions.

On a related note, on a Hal tour of the Baltic area, a few folks complained about the endless sunlight.  Shop did a great sale on sleep masks.

Shar

I believe that one too. Did you ever notice how many reviews of cruises, resorts, hotels, tours etc complain or perseverate on the bad weather they encountered?  As if it's the fault of the operator.

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

They did show the movie on our ship too plus I read the book before we left. We really enjoyed our day here but as others have said, it requires walking. We were surprised at dinner that night by a dining room that had been decorated to look like a prison and the waiters all wearing prison uniforms.  Thanks to HAL for making this special stop one of the most memorable of our cruise.  The rest of the trip down the Amazon was equally as impressive.