Capri - use ship excursion or do on our own?

Bigplanner

Hello all and thanks in advance for your advice! We have taken several Caribbean cruises on both Celebrity and NCL but this is our first in Europe. I have always depended on this board to find great private tour operators.  One of our first stops on our trip this July is to Naples, and we want to go to Capri.  I've already booked a private boat tour (including the blue grotto) once we get to Capri.  Is it necessary or recommended though that we use the ship's excursion to Capri or is it very easy to catch a hydrofoil boat at the adjacent terminal and do it on our own?  The Edge gets into port early that morning and does not leave until 7pm so we would plan on leaving Capri around 4-5pm.

It is very easy to catch the boat to Capri right at the port....you don't need the ship excursion. Have a great time! You should book your return trip right after you get off the boat in Capri though so you have a spot at the time you want to return. I remember the ride taking about an hour.

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 1

Agree also to DIY.  If you want to go up to AnnaCapri and the chair lifts, you can take a bus but I would recommend taking a taxi - we shared with someone  else. The queue for the taxi was enormous and the buses are only small due to the narrow winding streets.  Also agree to book your return ferry as soon as you arrive then you know you are guaranteed a place at the time you require it.

whichever you do, remember that Capri has now banned single-use plastic water bottles and plastic shopping bags, even if you bring them with you.  Either take a refillable bottle or buy on the island.   Help the island with it's massive garbage problem!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

whichever you do, remember that Capri has now banned single-use plastic water bottles and plastic shopping bags, even if you bring them with you.  Either take a refillable bottle or buy on the island.   Help the island with it's massive garbage problem!!!

I don't think we can repeat this warning often enough, at least until it becomes well known.  I'd be willing to bet that the cruise lines are not telling their passengers about this when they are selling them bottles of water as they exit the ship.

4 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I don't think we can repeat this warning often enough, at least until it becomes well known.  I'd be willing to bet that the cruise lines are not telling their passengers about this when they are selling them bottles of water as they exit the ship.

True that!  Capri has a tremendous garbage problem.  All that waste has to be barged off the island and it is getting far too expensive.   This is one of those cases where cruisers have a opportunity to be good stewards of the ports they visit and not just another "ugly, clueless day tourist"!