Priority boarding for those needing assistance

lharry

Is this a thing?  I'm specifically asking about Carnival.

My husband and I are platinum so we get priority boarding, but my son and his wife are not, and he is recently visually impaired.  Just curious if it would be possible that they would be able to board early also or if they will have to wait.

Thanks!

If he wants wheelchair assistance then no.  That is based on how many others need it, when you checked in and how many chairs and pushers are available.

if he does not qualify for priority boarding in his own right, by loyalty level, being in a suite or having paid for FTTF,  you can ask if he can board with you but be prepared to be told no and that if you want to board together, you wait until his boarding group is called

4 hours ago, lharry said:

My husband and I are platinum so we get priority boarding, but my son and his wife are not, and he is recently visually impaired.  Just curious if it would be possible that they would be able to board early also or if they will have to wait.

Thanks!

Since you are platinum, my guess is you know the answer.  Unlike airlines, getting on a ship that is sailing for 7 days, does not require someone that is disabled to get special treatment during the first steps to the ship.  So if the person is visual impaired, what happens immediately once they get on the ship?  I'm guessing his wife will be helping navigating the ship, so getting on is the same thing. 

However, you should contact the ships special needs, if you have any special requests, like sitting in the dining room close to the entrance, or things along that nature. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, Joseph2017China said:

Since you are platinum, my guess is you know the answer.  Unlike airlines, getting on a ship that is sailing for 7 days, does not require someone that is disabled to get special treatment during the first steps to the ship.  So if the person is visual impaired, what happens immediately once they get on the ship?  I'm guessing his wife will be helping navigating the ship, so getting on is the same thing. 

However, you should contact the ships special needs, if you have any special requests, like sitting in the dining room close to the entrance, or things along that nature. 

Yes, I am platinum but I was not aware because I haven’t traveled with a visually impaired person before. You will notice I said recently became visually impaired. But thank you for the information 

• Like 1

I often cruise with friend who is also visually impaired. We always contact special needs, they send a form to fill out and return. 

When we get to port (usually one of the many Florida ports) we simply get wheelchair assistance, which is always readily available from the porters, and they take us right to the disabled boarding section. They check that her name is on list, they complete our boarding paperwork right there and then we get priority boarding, usually right after or even same time as the suite and other priority guests.  

We've done this 5-6 times both on carnival and RC with no issues. Same for disembarking. They instruct where to go and they will get a wheelchair and take us right off whenever we are ready. 

Hope this helps. Have a great trip. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, Joseph2017China said:

There is an old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. " All she did was ask a question about a situation with which she had no prior experience.   There's really no need to start the whole "Who do you think you are that you are anything special?" 
It certainly won't hurt anything to make someone aware as they are checking in.  I would imagine that if someone is available to assist them, it would not be extraordinary to believe they might receive some extra assistance.

38 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

There is an old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. " All she did was ask a question about a situation with which she had no prior experience.   There's really no need to start the whole "Who do you think you are that you are anything special?" 
It certainly won't hurt anything to make someone aware as they are checking in.  I would imagine that if someone is available to assist them, it would not be extraordinary to believe they might receive some extra assistance.

I travel around the world with a disabled wife. 

If you read the question, it asked if "I'm platinum and my husband is platinum so we get priority boarding, but my son and wife are not, but my son is visually impaired, can they board with us?  The questions isn't really a handicap question, but a question, if they can get on together and it was implied because of status not handicap.  Many disabled people do not need "priority boarding".  I'm not sure why the person would need assistance.  The person is with his wife, who I'm assuming will be his guide on the ship.  So walking onto the ship would be no different.  But the question still is, do they have to wait a little longer because they don't have the "platinum status" as the parents.  This wasn't asking for "help" onto the ship, but asking if they can get on faster. 

Traveling around the world, I have noticed many disabled people that expect special treatment because of the disability.  Skip lines, have extra help, get things for free etc.  We wait in lines like everyone else.  We sit in our section for boarding priority.  We never expect front line access.  It is annoying to us when people expect special treatment because we don't thing we are special.  We just have challenges, but we are not special. 

The questions doesn't really belong on the disability board, because the poster never asked for disability help, but rather jump to the front of the line because of traveling companion status. Now if the question was what kind of help will Carnival give or offer for a visual impaired person, that would be a whole different response.  Yes, that annoyed me but I did tell them to contact special needs on the cruise line to see what they can offer. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If you read the question, it asked if "I'm platinum and my husband is platinum so we get priority boarding, but my son and wife are not, but my son is visually impaired, can they board with us?  The questions isn't really a handicap question, but a question, if they can get on together and it was implied because of status not handicap.  Many disabled people do not need "priority boarding".  I'm not sure why the person would need assistance.  The person is with his wife, who I'm assuming will be his guide on the ship.  So walking onto the ship would be no different.  But the question still is, do they have to wait a little longer because they don't have the "platinum status" as the parents.  This wasn't asking for "help" onto the ship, but asking if they can get on faster. 

Traveling around the world, I have noticed many disabled people that expect special treatment because of the disability.  Skip lines, have extra help, get things for free etc.  We wait in lines like everyone else.  We sit in our section for boarding priority.  We never expect front line access.  It is annoying to us when people expect special treatment because we don't thing we are special.  We just have challenges, but we are not special. 

The questions doesn't really belong on the disability board, because the poster never asked for disability help, but rather jump to the front of the line because of traveling companion status. Now if the question was what kind of help will Carnival give or offer for a visual impaired person, that would be a whole different response.  Yes, that annoyed me but I did tell them to contact special needs on the cruise line to see what they can offer. 

Maybe I didn't phrase my question the best - and if I offended you, I do apologize, but it is not my intention to "get special treatment" for my son.  As I mentioned in my original post, he is NEWLY blind.  I am not familiar with anything related to accessibility when it comes to this cruise.  The reason I was asking is because my daughter in law has never cruised before, and my son cannot see, and it was my thought that if it were possible for them to board when we do, we could help both of them, if necessary.  It was not my intention to get special treatment for him - and I am quite sure that he would not want special treatment.  

Again, I'm sure I am not very articulate with my wording, and therefore, I obviously came across (to you at least) in a way that I did not intend.  Sorry that I offended and annoyed you.

And, in case you are interested (or not), I did contact Carnival and found out that they do offer an audio version of the Fun Times, which will be greatly helpful.  Still waiting to find out if voiceover works on the HubApp.  And I am resolved to the fact that he / they will not board early, so either we will wait to board when they do, or we will be waiting for them as they get onto the ship.

Thank you kindly for your responses to my simple question.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, lharry said:

Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

If YOU read the question and pay close attention to her specific words, strictly speaking, she does not ask if her son can board with them.  She asks if her son, recently visually impaired, can get early boarding.

Yes, she mentions that she is Platinum and has some priority in boarding, but does not ask if he can board WITH HER.   Her Platinum status is not particularly relevant to the matter at hand, but I can see why someone might "assume" she is asking if her son can "cut the line."  I just looked to see that she has done a fair amount of cruising on Carnival, so her Platinum status is certainly more valuable that Platinum on Royal.   Still not really relevant to the question she asked, and possibly a side comment that is preventing her from getting the advice she seeks from a perfectly relevant board- a disability board- since her son is visually impaired.

She did not imply that she OR her son was entitled to any special treatment.  She just asked, because she didn't know, if he might get early boarding or assistance to get on the ship. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

If YOU read the question and pay close attention to her specific words, strictly speaking, she does not ask if her son can board with them.  She asks if her son, recently visually impaired, can get early boarding.

Yes, she mentions that she is Platinum and has some priority in boarding, but does not ask if he can board WITH HER.   Her Platinum status is not particularly relevant to the matter at hand, but I can see why someone might "assume" she is asking if her son can "cut the line."  I just looked to see that she has done a fair amount of cruising on Carnival, so her Platinum status is certainly more valuable that Platinum on Royal.   Still not really relevant to the question she asked, and possibly a side comment that is preventing her from getting the advice she seeks from a perfectly relevant board- a disability board- since her son is visually impaired.

She did not imply that she OR her son was entitled to any special treatment.  She just asked, because she didn't know, if he might get early boarding or assistance to get on the ship. 

She apologized, cleared up her question, did mean to board with them, but she did use her status as the reason, not the disability.  Many people including myself told her to contact special needs for onboard services. 

15 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

She apologized, cleared up her question, did mean to board with them, but she did use her status as the reason, not the disability.  Many people including myself told her to contact special needs for onboard services. 

Joseph2017China - you are one angry person!  I was not intending to "use my status" for anything other than to state that we would normally board at different times.  Either you are reading too much into my simple question, or you are just looking for anything to make an argument.  Either way, I did contact Carnival special needs.  Thank you again for recommending that I contact them.  

Done!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I see that. I had just pressed send when her response showed up. 

20 minutes ago, lharry said:

Joseph2017China - you are one angry person!  I was not intending to "use my status" for anything other than to state that we would normally board at different times.  Either you are reading too much into my simple question, or you are just looking for anything to make an argument.  Either way, I did contact Carnival special needs.  Thank you again for recommending that I contact them.  

Done!

lharry, I hope you enjoy your cruise whenever you go and whenever everyone gets to board.   I don't have any knowledge related to Carnival so I can't help you with that.  I am glad you were able to contact the special needs department. I feel certain they were compassionate and more able to offer productive advice.  :classic_cool:

I am sorry to hear of your son's recent visual impairment.  It is always challenging to navigate these sorts of things especially when the disability is new.  Perhaps with this new experience he will need a bit of extra assistance and maybe on a later cruise all of you will have the routine nailed down and not require anything else.   Any new health issue or disability takes some time to get used to. 

Quite honestly, I don't know what is wrong with "asking" if your son and his wife can board with you.  Clearly you have been cruising with Carnival for quite awhile and have become a valued customer.  So two other people (your son and daughter-in-law) board before two other people.  It's not the end of the world for anyone.   There is always someone ahead of me in line and I never ask questions about why or how they got there. It's none of my business.  We are talking about TWO people, not two hundred.   It's perfectly understandable to ask them if you could benefit from your continued support of the company.  Yes, your son and DIL get the benefit, but so do you as the loyal traveler since your family will be with you.

I don't know of anyone that doesn't try to use some advantage somewhere.  Maybe someone is a frequent diner in a restaurant and they get a special table. Maybe they dine there frequently and may get walk in privileges over someone with a reservation.  Who cares, really?? 

Just enjoy yourself.

Edited by legaljen1969
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, legaljen1969 said:

lharry, I hope you enjoy your cruise whenever you go and at whenever everyone gets to board.   I don't have any knowledge related to Carnival so I can't help you with that.  I am glad you were able to contact the special needs department. I feel certain they were compassionate and more able to offer productive advice.  :classic_cool:

Thank you legaljen1969!  I'm sure we will enjoy it!  😀

I use a mobility scooter, and I almost always go to the priority desk for processing our documents.  I don't know if I get priority boarding or not, but I don't have to stand in the long lines to register prior to boarding.  If you arrive at the port together, I think he could also go to the priority processing which is for handicapped as well as being for platinum and the like.

I've only gone on two Carnival ships - once out of Baltimore one once out of Norfolk.  I don't remember there being a problem in Norfolk (other than the port being very poorly laid out).  In Baltimore, the ship arrived late because they ran into a low off the coast and so people did not disembark until late on Sunday or early Monday.  In that instance we took the shuttle from the hotel to the port and were in our room by 9:30.  But that was quite unusual.