Luggage Question

Yo Adrienne

I'm looking for a high quality, small, rolling duffel that will fit underneath an airline seat.  Most airlines will allow carry-ons that are 22 inches...but that assumes that you will be placing the carry on in an overhead compartment.  I want something smaller...to fit under the seat in front of me on a plane, so that accessing it during a flight is easy.  (It would also be perfect for carrying on and off the ship--before full size luggage is delivered to the cabin/suite, as well as after full size luggage has been packed and picked up the night before disembarkation.)

Any particular rolling carry-on duffel that you can recommend that meets my needs...?  

Thanks so much...

Here's what I have and I think it's FANTASTIC!  I believe they say that it's guaranteed to fit under any commercial seat.  There have only been a couple of times that I didn't have access to an overhead and it fit perfectly under the seat.  And it 'lies' on its back so I could even rest my feet on it.  And the inside and outside compartments are a dream.  I also use it for weekend trips.

https://www.ebags.com/product/lucas/wheeled-under-the-seat-bag/211182?productid=10128614

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I was going to suggest also looking at the underseat luggage:

https://www.ebags.com/category/luggage/underseat-luggage

I'm just scratching my head at this answer, very atypical of Essiesmom who usually gives a factual reply to a question.

The Op states in the first sentence: I'm looking for a high quality, small, rolling duffel that will fit underneath an airline seat.

To suggest that the OP look for the very thing the OP is asking about (underseat luggage) doesn't seem very helpful.  Perhaps it was just the ebag site ????

5 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I'm just scratching my head at this answer, very atypical of Essiesmom who usually gives a factual reply to a question.

The Op states in the first sentence: I'm looking for a high quality, small, rolling duffel that will fit underneath an airline seat.

To suggest that the OP look for the very thing the OP is asking about (underseat luggage) doesn't seem very helpful.  Perhaps it was just the ebag site ????

I found the bag I recommended at that site.  They have tons of reviews.  And carry on luggage is a pretty opinionated subject.  I thought her reply was good.

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I was going to suggest also looking at the underseat luggage:

https://www.ebags.com/category/luggage/underseat-luggage

Does anyone know of something like this (wheeled!) that has a sleeve so it can slip over a larger bag when the large one isn't checked?  That is, both larger and smaller make ONE rolling combo?

Many thanks.

GC

9 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does anyone know of something like this (wheeled!) that has a sleeve so it can slip over a larger bag when the large one isn't checked?  That is, both larger and smaller make ONE rolling combo?

Many thanks.

GC

I find that suggestion annoying beyond belief.  You're entitled to translated into common language, a "purse" (my husband has one out of canvas and labeled "carpe diem.") and a small piece of luggage.  That can fit in the overhead bin OR under the seat.  Carrying on TWO pieces of luggage is what is causing others of us who obey the rules to buy something that can go under the seat.  Boo hiss.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

I find that suggestion annoying beyond belief.  You're entitled to translated into common language, a "purse" (my husband has one out of canvas and labeled "carpe diem.") and a small piece of luggage.  That can fit in the overhead bin OR under the seat.  Carrying on TWO pieces of luggage is what is causing others of us who obey the rules to buy something that can go under the seat.  Boo hiss.

WTH!??

How is our interest in finding a piece of SMALLER-than-usual (repeat: SMALLER!)  carry-on item that can slide over the checked luggage when we are going to or from the airport/etc., ANNOY YOU!?

If we are allowed a, say, 21 or 22 inch carry-on piece, why in the world would a, say, 15 inch carry-on be so objectionable to  you!??

ETA:  Okay, fine.  To avoid "annoying you", is there a [larger] 20-21 inch rolling item with a sleeve to fit over the checked bag?  Is that better!?

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

That answer came about because I first looked for a rolling duffel, and discovered that they don't make them that small.  I also have a rolling backpack by High Sierra that I know would not scrunch to fit under the seat unless you had a great deal more legroom than a typical economy seat offers.  

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

WTH!??

How is our interest in finding a piece of SMALLER-than-usual (repeat: SMALLER!)  carry-on item that can slide over the checked luggage when we are going to or from the airport/etc., ANNOY YOU!?

If we are allowed a, say, 21 or 22 inch carry-on piece, why in the world would a, say, 15 inch carry-on be so objectionable to  you!??

GC

JMHO but this particular poster I've found lately to be a bit puzzling in responses :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Many thanks.

GC

Try this from Lug:

https://www.luglife.com/collections/travel/products/porter-wheelie

Here's another.  All Lug backpacks and wheelies have the trolley sleeve on the back

https://www.luglife.com/collections/travel/products/puddle-jumper-wheelie-2?variant=18900850409545

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

WTH!??

ETA:  Okay, fine.  To avoid "annoying you", is there a [larger] 20-21 inch rolling item with a sleeve to fit over the checked bag?  Is that better!?

GC

It's defined as a personal item and a carry on.  Not two pieces of luggage, regardless of size.   I f you don't believe me then check your airline regs.

1 hour ago, clo said:

It's defined as a personal item and a carry on.  Not two pieces of luggage, regardless of size.   I f you don't believe me then check your airline regs.

The Op is not saying they’re going to carry on all these piece of luggage. They’re saying they want a set so that when they go to the airport, they are able to easily transport all the bags while they check in, hand off the bags they are going to check, and then only bring their carry-on. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

I'll remind you of my question one more time, and then you can remain (and enjoy?) being annoyed for as long as you wish:

"Does anyone know of something like this (wheeled!) that has a sleeve so it can slip over a larger bag when the large one isn't checked?  That is, both larger and smaller make ONE rolling combo?"

We are tired of each lugging a large wheeled item that will get checked plus a wheeled carry-on prior to checking luggage, and after, too.  that requires both hands for both of us.

And having a carry-on with the sleeve but without wheels... that's no good once the big bag is checked, especially given the distances one often needs to walk in airports these days.  Or sometimes even just down the jetway, for those of us "of a certain age"....

Do you need to have pictures drawn?

As an aside, what I "don't believe" is that you can't figure this out (or maybe are just trolling, looking for arguments).

GC

• Like 3

I have a 20" Eagle Creek rolling duffle.   It is great.  Had it for two years.  Lightweight.  I bought 20" because that is the standard from most European and Asian airlines that we use. 

Does not matter if we are traveling for 7 days or 7 weeks this is what we take.  DW has a Rick Steves 21 inch roller that she uses.  It is not so much a duffle as mine is.

On our winter trip this past year we were on a total of nine flights. Short hauls and long hauls.  No issues whatsoever. They have made our travel much easier and much more enjoyable.

Edited by iancal

Go to the airline's website that you are flying, they have the requirements for carry on luggage. The you can find a bag that will fit under the seat. It has to fit under the seat. If it sticks out to much, the staff will take it and stow it somewhere overhead. I searched for awhile for a camera bag the would hold my equipment. I found one that fits perfect. It does not have rollers on it, but it slip over my carry on the does. After take off, I can slide towards my seat and it give more room the stretch out my legs.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

We like (and use) anything made by "TravelPro"...the most common luggage brand used by the flight crew.

Great prices on Amazon.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the commercially available TravelPro luggage isn't half the quality of what is made for flight crews.  (Go to the TravelPro web site and you'll see where airline personnel need to log on with a password to get to the area where they can buy the luggage made specifically for them.) 

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad luggage--we have a piece of it and it's OK, but we also know that it's made six long haul trips, and it's got only a few more before we will no longer trust it.  We knew it would never have longevity when we purchased it.  

The most reliable bags we've ever owned are TUMI and Timbuk2.  That said, we just purchased two AWAY bags.  After speaking to a number of road warrior friends who have been long time TUMI and Briggs & Riley fans who gave them a try, we've decided to do so as well.  The price is modest and if indeed they support the offered lifetime warranty, it will be money well spent. 

As a side note: We donate our used but clean and still functional luggage to an organization that provides luggage to children in the foster care system so they don't have to move from place to place with their belongings in a trash bag. A suitcase which we feel is no longer reliable enough to get schlepped around Europe for a few weeks is often still perfectly functional to be taken from a home and into a car, driven across town, and then back out and into a home for another 10 or more years.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Many thanks.

GC

I think Victorinox makes one.  

We have a Travelpro that we used a few times prior to switching to carry on only.  We were not that impressed with it compared to either the Rick Steves or the Eagle Creek.  Zippers, wheels, and pull handles  are of a much higher standard/quality on either the Rick Steves or the Eagle Creek. We also have a Kirkland brand of the same size as the Travelpro and beats it hands down from a quality and durability  perspective.

We bought it on sale at a department store.  I suspect it is one of those bags manufactured for those 50 or 75 percent off sales that look the same but are built to a lower quality. 

Edited by iancal

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

WTH!??

GC

You wrote about the larger one not being checked.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

I think Victorinox makes one.  

Thanks.  We'll look for that.

Turns out the size/shape we are looking for doesn't tend to have a sleeve, or any way to *securely* attach it to a larger piece, without balance problems or having it flop around.  Maybe Victorinox will have something that works for us. :classic_smile:

We decided on the most recent trip that sharing just one extra large bag (other than carry-ons) ended up with something just too bulky/heavy, especially getting on/off trains... plus storing it on overseas trains was a worry...

(And before anyone asks/suggests/lectures, we each have too much medical type supplies, and that would take up too much room in a "carry-on only" plan, although it certainly would be very nice if we could have arranged just one carry-on!)

Thanks!

GC