Missing the Pyramids?

18 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Finally,  I appreciate that you might think that a visit to Cairo, the museum and pyramids pales in comparison to the grandeur of Luxor, but it might not for others.

Unfortunately the best items from Cairo exist in the museum in London.  It is good from one standpoint......... the items have not been damaged as so many items were in the Cairo Museum but I'm sure Egypt would love to have their artifacts back.

If you really want to go to Cairo - just to go Cairo.  It is seen much better by land than by cruise ship.  Then you can decide which you prefer - Luxor or Cairo.  

Keep in mind that we are all giving our opinions - we obviously do not know what others will or will not like.

In terms of security, it is much more stringent than anyplace we have seen in the world (except for Israel).  

I have no words for people that compare the U.S. to Egypt.  If countries want to put out warnings, that is their right.  However, Cairo is one city - which is a tiny dot compared to the U.S.  Based on terrorism, nowhere in the world is really safe - we were 12 miles from Nice when the truck went into the crowd of people killing many.  On the other hand, I would not vacation in some cities in the U.S.  Having been raised in Los Angeles where the news every Monday was about how many people were killed in gang violence over the weekend (usually at least a dozen), most places do not scare me.  After all, I could be hit by a car in front of my house.

Edited by Travelcat2

26 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unfortunately the best items from Cairo exist in the museum in London.  It is good from one standpoint......... the items have not been damaged as so many items were in the Cairo Museum but I'm sure Egypt would love to have their artifacts back.

🤔 🤔

There are many artefacts in the Cairo museum that cannot be seen in the British Museum in London (and we don’t have many Pyramids 😉)

In particular the Tutankhamen treasures that are on world tour at present are due to return to Egypt permanently after the tour (to be displayed in a new museum at Giza scheduled to open in 2021)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If you really want to go to Cairo - just to go Cairo.  It is seen much better by land than by cruise ship.  Then you can decide which you prefer - Luxor or Cairo.  

this is not about preference, but rather the relative convenience of seeing most of it during a cruise.  A cruise ship that has stops in Safaga and Port Said or Alexandria provides a vehicle for seeing most without having to do an overnight with associated expenses.

Your opinion on the best way to see the area is noted.  Unfortunately, I will be on a cruise not doing a land tour.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

🤔 🤔

There are many artefacts in the Cairo museum that cannot be seen in the British Museum in London (and we don’t have many Pyramids 😉)

In particular the Tutankhamen treasures that are on world tour at present are due to return to Egypt permanently after the tour (to be displayed in a new museum at Giza scheduled to open in 2021)

This is indeed good news!  I’ve just finished reading an update, they have pushed up the opening date to 2020.  Time will tell.  These things tend to slip.  

Perhaps a first step in repatriating those items in protective custody of the British Museum.  😏

53 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

🤔 🤔

You made my point.  The Tutankhamen treasures have been on world display for as long as I can remember (this is typical so people will likely not be able to see these treasures before 2021 - unless it is finished sooner which is highly unlikely).  Having been to both the British Museum and the Cairo Museum (before it was bombed and many artifacts were ruined) the British Museum is much more interesting and has more artifacts.  Of course, there are no pyramids - this has been mentioned by myself and others on this thread.

MadMarine - obviously you will not see "most things" in Cairo, Luxor or Alexandria if you are sailing on a ship (just as you will not see "most things" in most parts of the world in one or two days).  

Not sure what others think but, in my opinion, the odds of "repatriating those items in protective custody of the British Museum" are slim to none.  Not sure what the odds are that the new museum in Giza (adjacent to Cairo) will not be destroyed or attacked.  

Yes - Egypt depends upon tourism.  When we were in Alexandria 2 or 3 years ago, they had not seen a cruise ship in 5 months.  The people were so welcoming and happy to see us.  A group of local women and children hovered around us - asking our names, how old we were, what we do, etc. and introduced us to their children.  As in many countries, the people are wonderful but the governments .......... not so much.

In any case, have you found an excursion to the pyramids.  If not, why not try private tours.  

Edited by Travelcat2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

MadMarine - obviously you will not see "most things" in Cairo, Luxor or Alexandria if you are sailing on a ship (just as you will not see "most things" in most parts of the world in one or two days).  

yes, obviously.  But it is possible to see the highlights of Luxor and Cairo including pyramids, without having to do an overnight from Luxor with ship positioning.  It will also allow for experiencing the Suez transit and a bit of rest between Luxor and Cairo.

Not sure what others think but, in my opinion, the odds of "repatriating those items in protective custody of the British Museum" are slim to none.  Not sure what the odds are that  the new museum in Giza (adjacent to Cairo) will not be destroyed or attacked.  

Sadly, I agree.  The new Acropolis museum is still waiting, I believe, for their marbles.

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I have no words for people that compare the U.S. to Egypt. 

🤔 🤔 Did I miss something?

I do not recall anyone on this thread comparing the US to Egypt.

The simple facts were given that travellers are advised by their governments to exercise  a level of caution when visiting many countries around the world.

• Haha 1

I visited the museum in Cairo twice - it was very "dusty" but what they had on display was fascinating.  Far more so than the normal offerings in the BM in London, I thought.  BUT in the early 70s when the Tutankhamun exhibition was on in London -  that was truly wonderful.  We were living in London then and went twice.   That new museum in Giza has "been abuilding" for a very long time now.  I wonder if it will ever open.

it is perfectly possible to do a day excursion by air from Cairo to Luxor so I have to think the reverse is also true...

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I visited the museum in Cairo twice - it was very "dusty" but what they had on display was fascinating.  Far more so than the normal offerings in the BM in London, I thought.  BUT in the early 70s when the Tutankhamun exhibition was on in London -  that was truly wonderful.  We were living in London then and went twice.   That new museum in Giza has "been abuilding" for a very long time now.  I wonder if it will ever open.

it is perfectly possible to do a day excursion by air from Cairo to Luxor so I have to think the reverse is also true...

Sadly I missed that Tut exhibit, although there were many artifacts from his tomb in the Cairo museum when we were there in 2015, and yes, it was dusty.  The new museum in Giza was being touted then, under construction--I'm a bit surprised it's not finished yet, but I guess not too surprised.

The Overland trip on the 2021 WC is an overnight in Luxor, by bus from Safaga, then a flight the next day to Cairo to see both the museum and the pyramids, then fly back to Luxor and bus to Safaga.  If I hadn't been there, I admit I would be very tempted by this trip.  The Luxor portion includes some of "the usual", Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, etc., but does not include Karnak.  For me, it would be tough to choose between the Valley of the Kings and Karnak.  

We just saw the current Tut exhibit in Paris three weeks ago and it was fantastic. 

Last year when we did the Voyager Dubai to Rome trip, we did a private overnight tour to Luxor because we wanted to include Nefartari's Tomb in the Valley of the Queens.  The pictures online really don't do it justice.  It was really a highlight and if Regent offers it, I would go for it. (Of course, we had already seen the pyramids on a land trip years before).

11 hours ago, flossie009 said:

🤔 🤔 Did I miss something?

I do not recall anyone on this thread comparing the US to Egypt.

The simple facts were given that travellers are advised by their governments to exercise  a level of caution when visiting many countries around the world.

Yes - you apparently did missed post #25 which reads as follows: "  I also failed to mention, the New Zealand government advises their citizens to exercise increased caution when visiting the United States, as do many other countries.  Quite a few mention terrorism and gun violence.............."

This was specific to the U.S. - which prompted my response.  The "many other countries" portion of the quote refers to other countries what warn about going to the U.S.  Hope that clarifies my the my post which. you questioned!

On 6/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, Travelcat2 said:

If Cairo were safe, Regent would be stopping there.  It isn’t so Regent does not go there.

If there is an excursion, at any price, it is worth it because Regent has to pay quite a bit for the amount of security that is needed in that area.

Having been to Cairo, Luxor and other stops along the Nile, I can say that the sites that you can see visiting Luxor exceeds what you would see in Cairo (except for the pyramids).   

We were in Egypt in 2008 before the "Arab spring".  At that point we were able to see the pyramids, and see the pyramids sound and light show, which is breathtaking.  Then, we went on to the Egyptian museum in Alexandria, that was magnificent.  With that being said, we were on small buses with security guards in front and behind us, and a bus driver and tour guide carrying handguns.  Nothing happened and we felt very safe.  Since then things have changed in Egypt whereby it makes much more sense to start in Luxor, see as much as you can since there are tombs there as well, as go to Cairo as an extra.  The river boat down the Nile is fun, but be careful about the food.  My husband and I came down with "Pharoah's revenge" shortly thereafter.

40 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hope that clarifies my the my post which. you questioned!

Thank you but no, it brings no further clarity.

I did read post #25 but, IMHO, what was posted in #25 did not warrant the reaction in post #26

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I have no words for people that compare the U.S. to Egypt.

With your agreement, I suggest we drop this off-topic argument and return to the subject i.e. the best way to combine a luxury cruise in 2021 with seeing the attractions of Cairo and Giza

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Thank you but no, it brings no further clarity.

I did read post #25 but, IMHO, what was posted in #25 did not warrant the reaction in post #26

With your agreement, I suggest we drop this off-topic argument and return to the subject i.e. the best way to combine a luxury cruise in 2021 with seeing the attractions of Cairo and Giza

Agree but stand behind my statement.  

In my opinion, it is difficult to combine a luxury cruise with seeing the pyramids.  This may not matter since the TS (Thread Starter) did not sound as if they were discussing Regent.

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree but stand behind my statement.  

In my opinion, it is difficult to combine a luxury cruise with seeing the pyramids.  This may not matter since the TS (Thread Starter) did not sound as if they were discussing Regent.

The TS (me) was talking about Regent, but also have looked at what other cruises offer.  Thus the reason for the original question.  To me, it makes it more difficult and expensive for the customer if Regent doesn't have a stop for both Luxor and Cairo (pyramids) and their passengers wish to see both.  I was just wondering if anyone factually knew why Regent chose their approach.

56 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

The TS (me) was talking about Regent, but also have looked at what other cruises offer.  Thus the reason for the original question.  To me, it makes it more difficult and expensive for the customer if Regent doesn't have a stop for both Luxor and Cairo (pyramids) and their passengers wish to see both.  I was just wondering if anyone factually knew why Regent chose their approach.

Your post prompted me to check a website I've used before to research ports, cruisetimetables.com  .  There are similar sites out there as well, I believe.

Anyway, Voyager is calling in Alexandria next year, which, along with Port Said, are the closest ports for Cairo.

However, I didn't see very many cruise lines that call at both Safaga and Port Said / Alexandria on the same itinerary.  I think there was one line, but not one I'm familiar with.

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

Your post prompted me to check a website I've used before to research ports, cruisetimetables.com  .  There are similar sites out there as well, I believe.

Anyway, Voyager is calling in Alexandria next year, which, along with Port Said, are the closest ports for Cairo.

However, I didn't see very many cruise lines that call at both Safaga and Port Said / Alexandria on the same itinerary.  I think there was one line, but not one I'm familiar with.

I know that Viking does and I think that NCL does as well.  I’ve been looking at possibilities for Egypt on a longer non-riverboat cruise.  The Regent WC caught my eye, but as I’ve said in other posts, it is a little more difficult to see the pyramids and Luxor without an overland excursion.

7 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

I wonder if the Suez Canal scheduling makes it tricky to do both?  We chose to see Cairo and the Pyramids on a Regent cruise some years ago, getting off in Suez and driving to Cairo from there as the ship sailed on through the canal.  (There was no Luxor option on that occasion)  It was a day tour and was a quick pyramid view and trip around the museum and we returned to the ship in Port Said.  At the time, we considered it a taster, but since we've not been back since, I guess that we might have ticked Cairo and the Pyramids off 😉  Next year, we are booked on a Voyager cruise which stops at Safaga and we plan to see Luxor and the rest, but as yet, we are undecided how we will organise that (we've had mixed advice about making independent arrangements or leaving it to Regent).  There is no Cairo/Pyramid option on this next cruise as far as I can see, but that's fine - we look forward to sailing through the canal.

Getting to see these world heritage sites is always a tricky one - it's a long way to travel and managing to see as much as you can is a challenge.  I really don't think there is "one size fits all" - we all have different priorities.  Above all,  I hope you find an itinerary that suits you and don't have to make too many compromises! 

Just for point of clarification. I was not making a comparison. It was a statement of fact, as was your point that Egypt was a country on our list to be cautious when visiting.  Also, if you were to draw a comparison, I stated that New Zealand warned their citizens and not Egypt.  

Ron

13 hours ago, MadMarine said:

I know that Viking does and I think that NCL does as well.  I’ve been looking at possibilities for Egypt on a longer non-riverboat cruise.  The Regent WC caught my eye, but as I’ve said in other posts, it is a little more difficult to see the pyramids and Luxor without an overland excursion.

Yes, a land tour would be the way to see as much as you can, without the time constraints of being back on a ship.

On our two visits to Eqypt (2007 (Princess) to Cairo and just last year (Oceania) to Safaga), we were fortunate to be on itineraries which afforded overnights.  In both cases,  this is the GENERAL itinerary:  you start your day early at the port and then make the long drive to Luxor (from Safaga) or Cairo (from Port Said or Alexandria).  You spend a little more than a half day touring once in the area, then are dropped off at your hotel.  Evening activities (such as the Sound/Light shows) are optional.  The next morning you'll have more touring before starting back to the port after lunch.  This two-night option certainly provides a little more breathing room than just the single day back-and-forth cruise excursions.  And of course, what you are considering will offer many more possibilities.  (BTW, on our two visits, we arranged our touring and overnight accommodations independently, not through the cruise lines.  Saved quite a bit and they were every bit as nicer, or nicer, than the ship overnight excursions).

6 hours ago, Gilly said:

I wonder if the Suez Canal scheduling makes it tricky to do both?  

May very well be the case.

While the 2020 WC does not have a Cairo option, our November, 2020 Barcelona to Dubai does but it is a private mini-bus (Regent sponsored excursion).  It is 12 hours - no prices that I could find anywhere but it is affordable IF you have several people.  Below is the description:

FULL DAY CAIRO MINI-BUS

PRICE is per vehicle 

This exclusive arrangement is designed to allow you the chance to customize your time ashore and discover the most interesting sights in the comfort and privacy of your own vehicle. With your private car and the personalized attention of your driver and English-speaking guide, you will have the flexibility and independence to design your itinerary ashore according to your own interests and sightsee at your own pace. See the most famous sights or go beyond to create your own intimate connections and unique cultural encounters. 

The Executive Collection is recommended for the single/solo traveler, couples, family, friends, and special interest groups traveling together. It can also be an excellent choice for physically challenged guests.

Capacity: 15 guests

PLEASE NOTE: Private cars/vans/minibuses are ordered per vehicle (not per person), and only one person in the party need order the vehicle. The price shown is the total cost for the vehicle, driver and English-speaking guide. Kindly note, however, that in certain ports only a driver/guide will be assigned (one person), due to limited availability. Entrance fees are not included in this price, in order to provide you with the most flexibility. In many ports, the number of vehicles available is extremely limited; therefore guests are encouraged to make their reservation as early as possible. 

Half-day private tours must depart between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 am, or after 1:00 p.m.

Upon embarkation, please consult the Destination Manager onboard to personally discuss your itinerary requirements and set your departure time.