Silversea in the Caribbean (also special diets)

trevandange

We are new to CC. Our last cruise was the Silver Wind in the Caribbean in February. Yes, the Silver Wind is due for refurbishment so it is looking tired, but the experience was still top notch.

The fitness instructor was excellent although having to move chairs in the lounge each time was a bit of a drag.

A few disappointment were:

Ports of Call:

At most ports were many mega-ships so it really took away from any sort of exclusive experience. Each port had the same ships as the last.

Excursions: 

I realized you have to read the descriptions very carefully. A few excursions were hours on a bus to get to a snorkel destination that was not that great. The excursion concierge was useless.

Food:

Overall the food was quite good and they were very accommodating. Mostly we ate in La Terrazza. Wish they had simpler lunch options in the dining room.

We only ate at the pool once and it was a disappointment, so we did not try it again.

It seems they are not up to speed on current dietary trends such as Low Carb. All of the yogurt was fat-free. 

On board there was only 1 gluten-free cookie, a coconut macaroon that was cloyingly sweet, tough, and overbaked. Every single day, the same thing. I am not a great baker, but I routinely make gluten free treats that are more creative and taste a lot better. It's not that hard.

Champagne:

Seems that those "in the know" were ordering some special champagne. We only found out about it on the 2nd to last night. Kind of annoyed me as we had champagne before dinner each evening.

Cabin:

We booked directly with Silversea last minute but paid more than others who booked though an agent, who also got more generous shipboard credits. Also we never were asked about room amenities, etc. Our butler took care of it when we got on board but really, we kept asking our Silversea agent about this and he was absolutely of no help.

In future I will use a booking agent rather than go direct but I would definitely sail on Silversea again.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, trevandange said:

We are new to CC. Our last cruise was the Silver Wind in the Caribbean in February. Yes, the Silver Wind is due for refurbishment so it is looking tired, but the experience was still top notch.

The fitness instructor was excellent although having to move chairs in the lounge each time was a bit of a drag.

A few disappointment were:

Ports of Call:

At most ports were many mega-ships so it really took away from any sort of exclusive experience. Each port had the same ships as the last.

Excursions: 

I realized you have to read the descriptions very carefully. A few excursions were hours on a bus to get to a snorkel destination that was not that great. The excursion concierge was useless.

Food:

Overall the food was quite good and they were very accommodating. Mostly we ate in La Terrazza. Wish they had simpler lunch options in the dining room.

We only ate at the pool once and it was a disappointment, so we did not try it again.

It seems they are not up to speed on current dietary trends such as Low Carb. All of the yogurt was fat-free. 

On board there was only 1 gluten-free cookie, a coconut macaroon that was cloyingly sweet, tough, and overbaked. Every single day, the same thing. I am not a great baker, but I routinely make gluten free treats that are more creative and taste a lot better. It's not that hard.

Champagne:

Seems that those "in the know" were ordering some special champagne. We only found out about it on the 2nd to last night. Kind of annoyed me as we had champagne before dinner each evening.

Cabin:

We booked directly with Silversea last minute but paid more than others who booked though an agent, who also got more generous shipboard credits. Also we never were asked about room amenities, etc. Our butler took care of it when we got on board but really, we kept asking our Silversea agent about this and he was absolutely of no help.

In future I will use a booking agent rather than go direct but I would definitely sail on Silversea again.

Hi There - I'm doing the Wind in February 2020, 10 nights.  Can you clarify what you mean about the people "in the know" in terms of champagne?   I love champagne!  Thanks

Hi There - I'm doing the Wind in February 2020, 10 nights.  Can you clarify what you mean about the people "in the know" in terms of champagne?   I love champagne!  Thanks

I wish I could remember the name of the special champagne. I think all you have to do is ask what are the options. I believe that staff will tell you what other choices you have. In general they are probably told to offer brand X unless a guest asks for something else.

22 minutes ago, trevandange said:

I wish I could remember the name of the special champagne. I think all you have to do is ask what are the options. I believe that staff will tell you what other choices you have. In general they are probably told to offer brand X unless a guest asks for something else.

Thanks!