La Romana DR Port on Horizon

Anyone else feeling uneasy about the Dominican Republic port of La Romana?  We have a cruise scheduled on the Horizon coming up and we were excited about the excursion we had planned thru Carnival (beach including drinks/food).  John Heald posted today on facebook reassuring passengers that DR Amber Cove is totally safe, but he refuses to mention his passengers on La Romana.  I think Carnival should re-route La Romana cruise ships to Amber Cove for the safety of their guests.  We have never been to DR before.  How does everyone feel about the current situation and would you get off the ship?

• Like 3

We were on a Horizon cruise in early May (before all the DR news) that went to La Romana. We did a Carnival excursion to Catalina Island. Really enjoyed it and I think I would still go.

Perhaps I would now skip what in our case was an included rum punch type drink as we arrived on the island. This would only be out of an abundance of caution. 

But clearly you need to do whatever makes you comfortable. Please enjoy your cruise.

46 minutes ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

Anyone else feeling uneasy about the Dominican Republic port of La Romana?  We have a cruise scheduled on the Horizon coming up and we were excited about the excursion we had planned thru Carnival (beach including drinks/food).  John Heald posted today on facebook reassuring passengers that DR Amber Cove is totally safe, but he refuses to mention his passengers on La Romana.  I think Carnival should re-route La Romana cruise ships to Amber Cove for the safety of their guests.  We have never been to DR before.  How does everyone feel about the current situation and would you get off the ship?

I agree. Minimum TWO of the reported deaths occurred in LR and I would feel better about our sailing if they went to Amber Cove instead. I think we just won't get off the ship - we can swim on the ship which is what we would've done off the ship anyway. It just doesn't seem like it's only alcoholic beverages that are dangerous either so it just feels safer to not get off the ship and risk it. I know it's dramatic but I'd rather be dramatic and safe than not dramatic and sorry

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

but he refuses to mention his passengers on La Romana. 

Who said he refuses, you? Unless your are staying over night in a hotel, no cruise passengers have been affected

There were probably more illnesses and death on Carnival ships last year than what is now  being reported in the DR. 

While totally tragic for those affected, there are so many unknowns that it is impossible for us to know at this time if there are any common causes or connections - and therefore what to avoid.  Insecticides, tainted booze, Dominican mamajuana (not marijuana), who knows?

I did notice that vacation prices in Punta Cana were dropping, so we booked 10 nights at a decent adult only AI with RT airfare and RT transfers to the hotel for way less than the fare for just the Horizon week long or 8 day sailings.  Happy BDay to me!

As far as the Horizon and Amber Cove, we stayed on the ship when the Horizon docked there for its first time.  Nothing of interest to us at all in AC (or Puerto Plata either).  We did enjoy the sky ride (no lines) and had our choice of loungers in serenity.  An excellent way to spend a day!

If docked in La Romana, the options of Catalina or Sanoa Island are worthwhile.  It's too bad the DR is handling this issue so poorly.  When similar stuff was happening in Coz and Playa, the hotels and government reacted swiftly and effectively to minimize further harm to cruisers and tourists.  DR should have followed that example instead of opting for implausable denials and obfuscations blaming the victims.

Edited by evandbob

It does seem a bit strange that all of the deaths reported (11 so far) are all Americans. Coincidence? Perhaps. We've been to DR twice. Once to LaRomana, and once to Amber Cove. Both times we went on an excursion, and I was not all that impressed either time. I'm in no big hurry to go to the DR again, even if every person going there returns home safely and in good health.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

It does seem a bit strange that all of the deaths reported (11 so far) are all Americans. Coincidence? Perhaps. We've been to DR twice. Once to LaRomana, and once to Amber Cove. Both times we went on an excursion, and I was not all that impressed either time. I'm in no big hurry to go to the DR again, even if every person going there returns home safely and in good health.

Hi

Yes. It really does seem strange. Coincidence??? I read recently that there are 2.5 million U.S. visitors to D.R. every year, and depending what is actually happening, it could very well just be a coincidence that there are so many incidents in such a short time span.

I have been to D.R. twice at resorts (last time was last month), had a great time both times, and would certainly return, if the price is right.

I remember a few years ago, there were what seemed like an unusual number of Canadians reported killed in Mexico, but I was in Mexico then as well. Who knows? If you don't feel comfortable, don't go. At least on a cruise, you don't have to get off the ship or if you do you can stay in the port area. It's like anything else, people die in car accidents every day, but most people don't hesitate to get into a car.

• Like 1

Have been to LaRomana three times and have never had a problem. Twice walked downtown, however did run into a tour guide in thee town who told us where not to go, just like any town in USA there will be places not to go. other r occasion was a tour to a hotel and beach which was fine.

We’re sailing on the Horizon this Saturday with a stop in LaRomana, and choosing to stay onboard. I just want to be on vacation. I work a in a profession where I have to frequently be mindful of my personal safety. If this part of the island wasn’t as underdeveloped, I’d probably consider getting off the ship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

We'll be in La Romana next March (aboard Horizon). Even if it were much sooner, I wouldn't be worried about it. I haven't been following all of the stories closely, but all of the deaths, as unfortunate as they are, are all happening in resorts, aren't they? That makes it less of a threat to cruise passengers. Possible dangerous pesticides, tainted alcohol, or whatever it may be. If it were me, I just wouldn't drink anything that wasn't factory sealed.

What angers me is the D.R. governments reaction. They're claiming that all of the deaths are due to natural causes and that this is just "hysteria" purposely being done to hurt their tourist industry. Those are the words of a corrupt cover-up, if you ask me. So if I choose not to spend my money there, it's not going to be because I'm afraid to leave the ship. It'll be because, to heck with them, if they're going to act like that as an official response, they don't deserve my money.

On a side note, we were in Amber Cove last year. The Carnival-built port complex, more specifically the pool area, is very nice, and I'm not even someone who enjoys sitting around a pool. When we were there, we took a taxi to the Teleferico (cable car) that runs to the top of Mt. Isabel de Torres. We had a fantastic time and hoped to go back again. Not sure how I'd feel about that port right now, considering their response over the deaths. We could always stay inside the port area. Even though I'm not a sit-around-the-pool type of guy, that area was nice enough that I could be coaxed to relax there for a little while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Well, the majority of tourists to DR are from North America.

We are going to La Romana in Feb. and would really feel safer in Amber Cove.  We will stay on the ship.  We have the CHEERS package and will enjoy that all day.  I really would like it if Carnival would allow all ships to go to Amber Cove where John said it is protected.

• Like 2

I  can’t believe people and their fear. People act like the DR people are gunning down cruise ship passengers the minute they walk off the ship. If I could (and did) walk the streets of Cairo and Istanbul Turkey on a cruise and live I sure as hell wouldn’t worry one second about my safety in the DR ...... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I  can’t believe people and their fear. People act like the DR people are gunning down cruise ship passengers the minute they walk off the ship. If I could (and did) walk the streets of Cairo and Istanbul Turkey on a cruise and live I sure as hell wouldn’t worry one second about my safety in the DR ...... 

It is amazing how the media can install different fears or biases in its viewers.

• Like 1

We leave on the Horizon this sat and had a trip to Saona Island scheduled. We just cancelled. I was the only one in my group that still wanted to go....I wish were still were....I feel horrible for the families that lost loved ones but I don't think it is an epidemic and I think cruisers are completely safe as long as you are aware of your surroundings as always.

I am sure in a month or so the media will find a new topic to latch onto....probably shark attacks...another thing that is rare and heartbreaking but not an epidemic...the sharks are not out to get us

We were in the DR in May on the Horizon. We did the Carnival Special Saona Island through Seavis Tours. We took a public taxi about 30 minutes to their office and a speedboat another 30 min to the island. We were never scared. I'm not one to let things stop me. All of the deaths have been at hotels/resorts. Like the family last year from Iowa that died in Cancun - could be something like carbon monoxide poisoning from the hot water heater/furnace/air unit in their room or condo.  

I work in a city that every year the homicide rate increases. 11 people out of 2 1/2 million visitors. Really?? My sister leaves for DR next week and 2 of her party have backed out on them resulting in big fees for all of them. It's media hype. And I feel prejudice. Let's make everyone scared of other places EXCEPT the USA. Just my opinion.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

We were in the DR in May on the Horizon. We did the Carnival Special Saona Island through Seavis Tours. We took a public taxi about 30 minutes to their office and a speedboat another 30 min to the island. We were never scared. I'm not one to let things stop me. All of the deaths have been at hotels/resorts. Like the family last year from Iowa that died in Cancun - could be something like carbon monoxide poisoning from the hot water heater/furnace/air unit in their room or condo.  

I was looking at Seavis for our cruise next March. Personally, I'd rather do their Wonders of Nature tour, but my wife & son lean towards the Saona Island tour. But we might just end up using La Romana to just enjoy a quieter ship. Maybe have a look around the vendors at port. Not out of fear, but out of lack of something to do if we don't do an excursion.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I was looking at Seavis for our cruise next March. Personally, I'd rather do their Wonders of Nature tour, but my wife & son lean towards the Saona Island tour. But we might just end up using La Romana to just enjoy a quieter ship. Maybe have a look around the vendors at port. Not out of fear, but out of lack of something to do if we don't do an excursion.

We used Seavis several years ago good company, nice tour. Sanoa Island has some decent excursions, we had BBQ lobster tail lunch there.

Just reading the travel/cruise news lately:

32 injured on Carnival bus tour near Princess Cay

Couple in Antigua, robbed, stabbed

Van goes into ocean at Maho Beach Sint Maarten, cruisers hurt

Tourists sickened, maybe drugged in Cancun , Playa and Coz last year

All terrible things for sure!  But overall crime rate is worse in many US cities than in the places I just cited.  Seems we hear about persons overboard regularly.  We don't know how many cruisers have died from "natural" causes and excessive indulgences or even domestic violence.  We never hear a total count for crimes like rape and sexual assault on our ships.

I would wager that statistically, the crime/death rate is higher on cruise ships and in some of our American cities, followed by lower crime rates and "accidental" deaths in the Caribbean area.

Plenty of people seem afraid of crime or malfeasance in the DR, yet remain unaware of the higher risk of danger of just being on the ship.  

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

If You go to Monkey Land in La Romana, DR ..... (great tour) I will guarantee you that the monkeys will not poison you and you will not end up curled up in a ball in the dirt pissing yourself ...... 

I've read too many reviews of the monkeys peeing on people when they're climbing on them. Peeing on someone's arm, on someone's shoulder, even on a guy's head. No thanks. I've heard it's a fun tour, but I don't need to see monkeys badly enough to take that chance.