Rear facing balcony - avoid?

fsteph

Hi, 

I’d be grateful for some advice from more experienced cruisers (we’ve cruised once in the past, with the Oasis of the seas)

I’m looking to book a cruise on the MSc Magnifica (family of 4, with two very young children) and the only available balcony cabin we can find is on deck 8 at the end of the ship (rear facing balcony). Based on the deck plan, it also appears to be a connecting cabin (so potentially more noise).

Any feedback/comments on this type of room would be much appreciated - mainly concerned about noise levels, sea-sickness, etc. due to the location of the cabin. 

many thanks!

Aft facing balconies are usually very sought after.  I am surprised that it is the only one available.  Perhaps it is the only quad cabin left.  I would ask on the board here for MSC, under Cruise Lines A-O.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

Perhaps the MSC regulars can shed more light on the subject.  EM

Aft cabin desirability varies according to the ship.  Some aft cabins have wonderful views...others have major obstructions, in that you can't look down to the water...there may be decks below your balcony railing meaning you only have an outward view.

With kids, I wouldn't worry about noise from other cabins...pretty sure your family will be noisier than most!  

As far as ship motion goes...think of a see-saw.  The ends move more than the middle.  If you're worried about motion, something in the middle of the ship (front to back) and on a low to middle deck is best.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, cb at sea said:

As far as ship motion goes...think of a see-saw.  The ends move more than the middle.  

I had an aft Neptune Suite on the Westerdam and there was an "odd" motion at times depending upon sea/wind conditions.  I'd describe the feeling as more of a corkscrewing of the ship.  I did not find the motion unpleasant, just "odd".  The most irritating part of my experience in that location was the issue of soot being deposited on my veranda and its furniture.  I had to bring into the suite the cushions that I regularly used to keep them from getting dirty.  A white bathroom towel, wiped along the veranda's railing, became black.  My Steward did a daily cleaning on the veranda, but it was insufficient.  For that reason, I would not book an aft stateroom on any ship.  I think all could have the same issue.