M27 closure again

AndyMichelle

Just a warning for anyone sailing from Southampton this weekend.

The M27 will be closed from 9pm Friday night (28/6) until 6am Monday morning junctions 3/4 for bridge replacement works.

The diversions, especially from the M3 are huge, so please allow extra time for your journey.

Andy

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just a warning for anyone sailing from Southampton this weekend.

The M27 will be closed from 9pm Friday night (28/6) until 6am Monday morning junctions 3/4 for bridge replacement works.

The diversions, especially from the M3 are huge, so please allow extra time for your journey.

Andy

Thanks for that warning Andy, do you know if there are any more closures planned in the near future, we sail 27/7 and returm 10/8.

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks for that warning Andy, do you know if there are any more closures planned in the near future, we sail 27/7 and returm 10/8.

No I think that's it John.

They removed the old bridge last year and are putting the new one up now.

There are roadworks on the M27 that will be ongoing for a while with a 50mph speed limit, but this is not causing any major issues until there is an accident...

Have a great time,

Andy

31 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Thanks Andy for the heads up.  Have passed that on to friends who are due to sail on Sunday and they appreciate the warning.

My pleasure. 

In fairness, last years closure didn't seem to cause too many issues, just a few bottle necks, it's just the length of one of the diversions that could cause late arrivals.

Saturday would be the more concerning day as the town gets busy enough with shoppers.

I hope all goes smoothly for your friends and they have a great time.

Andy

I'd be interested to hear people's experiences of getting to the docks with the M27 closed. We sail on Ventura on 20 October when it is closed again; it usually only takes us 30 mins max to get across from Portsmouth but I'd like to know how it will affect us. I'm thinking about the train but will Southampton be so busy it affects the taxis?

57 minutes ago, zoe sproodle said:

I'd be interested to hear people's experiences of getting to the docks with the M27 closed. We sail on Ventura on 20 October when it is closed again; it usually only takes us 30 mins max to get across from Portsmouth but I'd like to know how it will affect us. I'm thinking about the train but will Southampton be so busy it affects the taxis?

Judging from reports back from the last closure, it didn't seem to affect the town too much. I can't see you would have trouble getting a taxi, they queue outside the station and am sure they will be taking advantage of people avoiding using the car.

You could always book a taxi from the station.

Coming from your side, it shouldn't be too bad, you have options. I would head to the Ichen bridge from the A27. This was busy last time but moving and no real delays.

Good luck,

Andy

Just came over the Itchen Bridge to see the beautiful sight of 5 cruise ships in...

Great planning by the Highways Agency to close the M27 when around 30,000 people will be leaving/joining cruise ships plus the crew heading to Poundland to stock up on toiletries... Just seen them crossing the dock road.

Good luck everyone travelling in both directions today and stay calm.

Andy

Yes, I'd like to thank the clever person who though about closing that road during peak times.

I get that its work that needs doing (and budgets don't allow for nocturnal work) but you'd think they would have tried to arrange it for times when there was less volume due in and out.

Must've been a nightmare for the local residents of all those surrounding towns and villages.

7 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Yes, I'd like to thank the clever person who though about closing that road during peak times.

I get that its work that needs doing (and budgets don't allow for nocturnal work) but you'd think they would have tried to arrange it for times when there was less volume due in and out.

Must've been a nightmare for the local residents of all those surrounding towns and villages.

I think the local residents were the least affected.

We knew it was coming and planned accordingly.

I had to go into town twice yesterday, and although busy, not much of a delay.

People coming down the M3 seem to have been the worse affected as large diversions that all bottle necked at the same place.

5 ships on the same day is not a regular occurrence, surely they could have planned it when the town was not so busy.

Andy