Low or non alcoholic wine

Port out

My sister is joining us on a cruise and only drinks low or non alcoholic wine. I wonder if anyone knows if and what is currently available on board. Low alcohol to be no more than 5%.

Really appreciate your feedback

47 minutes ago, john watson said:

Last time I enquired this was not available on P&O, have had success on Cunard and Princess.  They do an Ariel 0% in red white and rose.  Strange thing is that non-alcoholic wine is 20% of UK market.

Regards John

Oh! wow, thanks for this John, was this a recent enquiry you made.  Looks like water only for her, what a shame.

I guess this would be classed as a soft drink, so she could take as much on board as she wanted for cabin/balcony consumption?

I know it's not the same, but might be better than just water.

She could probably drink it in the restaurant for the corkage fee?

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I guess this would be classed as a soft drink, so she could take as much on board as she wanted for cabin/balcony consumption?

Andy

Thanks Andy, good thought.

3 hours ago, Port out said:

Oh! wow, thanks for this John, was this a recent enquiry you made.  Looks like water only for her, what a shame.

The latest P&O non-alcoholic wine query was 2018.  My overall cruise lines problem on this issue has been that I no longer drink alcohol and my daughter is under age.  This has proven amusing over many years sailing alone with her.  With split OBC on Cunard Transatlantic, in order to each use all OBC I got my eleven year old daughter's cruise card authorised for purchases and signed the indemnity at the purser's desk so we could use her OBC which was a lot as I had booked cruise only and organised my own flights.  The reception staff thought this a bit rash as she could in theory go on a spending rampage.  She had not spent much so I ordered non-alcoholic wine and she tendered her card to the waiter.  He thought it was not possible for children to buy things.  I said it was and he should try it.  Head waiter appeared and I explained wine was non-alcoholic and the card was acceptable. They agreed after a bit of a wait.  Most other times I have had no problems with non-alcoholic wine and my daughter except for once on Princess.  The waiter provided the wine but he said I had to pour it out for my daughter whereas he would pour mine into my glass and left the bottle on the table.

As has already been said, you can take certain bottles of drink on board with P&O soft and wine per person.  The corkage issue has been mentioned.  This is quite expensive but I think you could dodge it by walking into the MDR glass in hand.  People often have pre-dinner drinks and it would not look outlandish in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, john watson said:

As has already been said, you can take certain bottles of drink on board with P&O soft and wine per person.  The corkage issue has been mentioned.  This is quite expensive but I think you could dodge it by walking into the MDR glass in hand.  People often have pre-dinner drinks and it would not look outlandish in my opinion.

Regards John

Exactly right John. I am always walking around from venue to cabin and vice versa with drink purchased from a bar in hand and never questioned.

Bad etiquette? Probably? Against the rules? No, although filling your own glass is but who would know?

I wouldn't do it, but in this lady's situation where they cannot supply her preference, I don't see the issue.

P&O are not losing income as they would only be supplying water free of charge anyway.

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

I think it would be best to contact P&O about their non/low alcohol policy regarding taking it onboard. I work in the wine industry and it has the same rules and regulations as full alcoholic wine surprisingly enough.

19 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

I think it would be best to contact P&O about their non/low alcohol policy regarding taking it onboard. I work in the wine industry and it has the same rules and regulations as full alcoholic wine surprisingly enough.

That is a surprise...

If it is non alcohol, surely that just makes it grape juice.

But I bow to your greater knowledge.

Andy

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That is a surprise...

If it is non alcohol, surely that just makes it grape juice.

But I bow to your greater knowledge.

Andy

Seems crazy doesn’t it?! Any drink with more than 0.5% ABV is classed as alcoholic, but I think it would take a vast amount to get you merry. Personally I would rather have a cup of char instead!

8 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

Seems crazy doesn’t it?! Any drink with more than 0.5% ABV is classed as alcoholic, but I think it would take a vast amount to get you merry. Personally I would rather have a cup of char instead!

I don't see the point in it really, but I am partial to a shandy bass...

I will have a cup of tea with you instead.

Andy

On 6/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, Bennybluehat said:

Even stranger than that the rules are different for imports of low/ no alcohol and make it more difficult for UK brewers, apparently.

I really don’t like low alcohol wines as they are generally too sweet for my pallet but there are some excellent beers and now a really palatable non alcoholic gin which with the right tonic tastes like the real thing.

I think that cruise companies will eventually cotton on to the selling potential of these products. They make a nice change from soft drinks and reduce units consumed.

59 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Even stranger than that the rules are different for imports of low/ no alcohol and make it more difficult for UK brewers, apparently.

I really don’t like low alcohol wines as they are generally too sweet for my pallet but there are some excellent beers and now a really palatable non alcoholic gin which with the right tonic tastes like the real thing.

I think that cruise companies will eventually cotton on to the selling potential of these products. They make a nice change from soft drinks and reduce units consumed.

The upturn in sales of low alcohol products has been enormous just like the Prosecco craze of a few years ago and of course the huge gin upsurge. I do feel some of the cruise lines are quite slow to keep up with the latest trends. For example I have sailed with Cunard and P&O recently and both offered a good choice in original gin but neither had any flavoured gin available which has a huge following now. I think the buyers need to keep up to date with current trends for maximum sales opportunities.

10 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

The upturn in sales of low alcohol products has been enormous just like the Prosecco craze of a few years ago and of course the huge gin upsurge. I do feel some of the cruise lines are quite slow to keep up with the latest trends. For example I have sailed with Cunard and P&O recently and both offered a good choice in original gin but neither had any flavoured gin available which has a huge following now. I think the buyers need to keep up to date with current trends for maximum sales opportunities.

Indeed, I love Rhubarb and ginger gin.

Low alcohol is big business here in Scotland as a result of the stringent alcohol and driving laws (quite right too).

These  products would be handy for the last night of a cruise when you need a clear head the next morning for the drive home. May have to add a comment on my feedback and if others do the same they might start to offer something.

I asked P&O this question today, as since my gall bladder surgery I have not drunk much alcohol. They have told me they have a selection of beers and wines on board all their ships - subject to availability though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

On Aurora last week they definitely had a good choice of flavoured gin in Champions.

Michelle was not a gin fan but discovered cherry gin, then raspberry gin... It got messy...😀

Andy

2 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I asked P&O this question today, as since my gall bladder surgery I have not drunk much alcohol. They have told me they have a selection of beers and wines on board all their ships - subject to availability though.

That’s interesting Host Sharon and thanks for asking them. 

They don’t advertise it much if the have them on board then.