Gate 1 travel Monarch Governess, Duchess what to expect.

vacation 2011

I'm going to start by saying there wasn't to much information on the company or ships when I was looking into our rivercruise vacation. So now that I've experienced it  this is what I can share of our Rivercruise on Monarch Governess and Monarch Dutchess.  Relax everything will work out well.  Transport from airport to ship , easy just as you exit customs (look for someone with Gate 1 sign) it will be hand held approx. 8x10 sign. They walk you over to your transport bus.  So you will be responsible to manage your bags till this point. Good reason not to over pack, and to have luggage that have wheels. Arrive at ship bags are brought on ship for you. Depending on your arrival time you have options.. Stay on board , leave to sight see, till rooms are ready ,then unpack and let the vacation begin. 

Ship info. You enter ship on Lobby level which also has the lounge, Top deck, reach climbing approx. 10 stairs located outside enclosed area, very secure just off a landing area, so windy. Also from the  Lobby level,  passenger rooms are located up approx. 6 stairs up to cabins 300's which has a coffee room and access to in and out sitting area for back of the ship at the end of the corridor as well as restrooms .  Down 6 or 7 steps from lobby level  to cabins 200"s  and  Men's restroom. down from that level 6 or 7 stairs brings you to , Ladies restroom just out side Dining room. lower level is  6 to 7 stairs down from dining level to cabins 100's. There is a small elevator from lobby level to lower 100 cabin level. never saw anyone use it though.

Rooms :  For electric devices need European conversion plug. They do have some to borrow if forgotten, sign for , return latter not billed. So you are covered if you forget it. Beds were the great. Bathrobes nice addition. Plenty of storage. Yes, it is windy on top landing of ship while traveling.  Need jacket at times for comfort we went beginning of June .  Hot tub on deck. Just living the good life!

They have a meet and greet to get to know your fellow passengers.

Dining room : Sit where you want. Wear clothes, no bathing suits, that said some dressed up at dinner some not, didn't matter. No one brought old ripped, painting clothes with them on vacation. So wear what you packed guilt free. No tables for two . You will be dining with others, no problem , enjoy swapping travel stories.  Food was nicely presented, very well prepared , and tasty. Dinner, we tried dishes we never had before. Loved all the soups, hot and cold, we are soup lovers. Breakfast ,so much to choose from not going to go hungry. Lunch, good variety . If your a picky eater it might be a challenge but I'm sure you won't starve. Wine , beer and soda as well as iced tea ,coffee and tea served with dinner was nice.  

I wondered about engine noise. It was no problem in fact we where surprised  with all the riverboats and barges on the river, it wasn't a problem at all. There can be some noise when in the locks though but not bad.

Tours: Easy, pick a colored ticket and have your ships ID pass card and listening devise. Ready to go. ( if you have problems with stairs or don't enjoy walking let guide know might be able to suggest where you can meet back up with the group for some of the tour and just miss those sights that are harder to get to  or better still your ships tour manger , get a map and know your return  meeting place.)They always give free time after walking tour. Just know where everyone is to meet to get back to the ship. Then see what you can with in your walking ability.

Know as long as you have a map you can get back to your ship. Most stops are just a short walk away.

Entertainment: Enjoy or not. Get involved or not. Relax enjoy the ride, locks,  scenery , a book or just where you are.

Departure smooth given tags and times for luggage as well as time to disembark the  ship and transport to the airport.

We did run into a slight problem on our 16 day trip, because for damage to a non passable lock we had to pack up our belongings, they handled it all, just carried what you wanted , bussed to town that our tour was scheduled for, left personal belongings secured on bus, and after our day walking tour , experience being bussed to another ship (Dutchess) at a port down stream. Appox. 1 1/2 hr. bus ride. Un pack ... The ships were the same except rugs and some of furniture was different. We also had a bus trip from where we were docked the next day then evening sailed away. All in all went well. All the work was on the crews of both ships they had to swap passengers and luggage for 2 ships and we didn't see any annoyance from them ( Their service was great, smiling and attentive to anyone's  needs.) Up side we got to experience two ships and crews. Our tour manager and entertainment director and a few other service crew members changed with us. Making it feel the same and not 2 separate vacations. I have to say all of the employees of the ships where happy with their jobs, everyone of them seemed to get along and none discontented with working situation. So happy staff , happy clients.  Great job Gate 1.   I guess the way to sum it up is just know your going to enjoy yourself and they are there to handle anything that comes up. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Vacation 2011,  thank you for your review.  A few question for you.

1. Which River did you cruise?

2. Was the top deck cold all the time or only at night?

Thanks

We traveled from Amsterdam to Budapest 6/5 -6/20/2019 Rhine, Main and Danube rivers. 16 day Classic European Cruise.

We had temps. in 60's when started and high 70's low 80's at the end. Jackets needed some days windy. So even though sunny if ship is sailing could use a wind breaker at times and long pants. when touring comfortable with out jacket not windy. I did enjoy the Hot tube, nice while you were in it going into the locks and while in the locks because little wind. But was a little chilly after out of the locks just traveling down the river when you got out of it.  And for night I'd say wind breaker or a long sleeve shirt or sweater. Hope that helps. 

14 hours ago, amyr said:

Thanks for the info.  Was the only self-serve coffee in the aft lounge on Deck 3, or was there some near the mid in the forward lounge where the bar is?

Only in aft lounge.  Not that long of a walk. The beverage machine makes Expresso , cappuccino , hot chocolate, and coffee, warm  milk,  hot water.

Have a great time on your trip......