Falcon launch

jdc987

Almost everyone I know in Central Florida saw it to some degree.  

It wasn't as big as a shuttle launch, but we could clearly see the first two boosters separate and turn to begin descent.  I've never been able to see that with my naked eye before.  We got one heck of a sonic boom about a minute after the third booster failed to make the target on Of Course I Still Love You.

13 hours ago, ducklite said:

Almost everyone I know in Central Florida saw it to some degree.  

It wasn't as big as a shuttle launch, but we could clearly see the first two boosters separate and turn to begin descent.  I've never been able to see that with my naked eye before.  We got one heck of a sonic boom about a minute after the third booster failed to make the target on Of Course I Still Love You.

3 out of 4 pieces were recovered.  The two side boosters (actual regular Falcon 9s and the center is a strengthened Falcon 9) landed successfully back at Cape Canaveral.  The center booster had a return error and missed Of Course I Still Love You.  A nose cone fairing half  was successfully captured via a net out on the Atlantic on the boat "Ms. Tree" - the first successful catch in a couple of tries.  

I had friend in Cocoa Beach stay up to watch the launch - I missed being in town by a couple of weeks again.  It's always so fascinating to watch!  Sometimes even better to watch the whole thing on SpaceX's live broadcasts, right down to the boosters landing back on Earth.  That they have this down that they can bring back the boosters and resuse them is mind-blowing.

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

3 out of 4 pieces were recovered.  The two side boosters (actual regular Falcon 9s and the center is a strengthened Falcon 9) landed successfully back at Cape Canaveral.  The center booster had a return error and missed Of Course I Still Love You.  A nose cone fairing half  was successfully captured via a net out on the Atlantic on the boat "Ms. Tree" - the first successful catch in a couple of tries.  

I had friend in Cocoa Beach stay up to watch the launch - I missed being in town by a couple of weeks again.  It's always so fascinating to watch!  Sometimes even better to watch the whole thing on SpaceX's live broadcasts, right down to the boosters landing back on Earth.  That they have this down that they can bring back the boosters and resuse them is mind-blowing.

Oh how I'd love to watch this.

And yes, when the boosters come back down and ... just ... land where they belong!!  And they stay upright!?

Is there any video of the little fast boat (love the name, "Ms Tree" ) "catching" that piece?  I hadn't even heard they were attempting anything like this, until I read that a piece had actually been recovered.

GC

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Oh how I'd love to watch this.

And yes, when the boosters come back down and ... just ... land where they belong!!  And they stay upright!?

Is there any video of the little fast boat (love the name, "Ms Tree" ) "catching" that piece?  I hadn't even heard they were attempting anything like this, until I read that a piece had actually been recovered.

GC

Search for SpaceX on You Tube.

Edited by ducklite

43 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Search for SpaceX on You Tube.

Yes.  I've watched their launches on their feed before - always fun to listen to their in-house commentators and the cheers of the employees in the background.  Even when a "landing" goes wrong, they applaud the attempt.   They have so many cameras mounted on the Falcon that you get great shots of what is going on right there in space.  Another thing - those side Falcon 9s were the rockets used in an April 2019 launch - so it was a quick turnaround for reuse.  Think of that!  

18 minutes ago, HangryGrl said:

https://www.spacex.com/webcast

This is the most current launch.

https://www.spacex.com/news/2019/04/12/arabsat-6a-mission

This one is from April of this year and around the 27-28 minute mark you can see the boosters come back down and land.  Pretty cool!  

It just blows my mind at the fact that those Falcons are capable of returning and landing and, with this last launch, reuse.  The Falcon 9s shown on this April video are the same ones used on this Falcon Heavy flight!!    I'm not really a science geek, but after visiting the KSC last year and watching the SpaceX launches, I proudly wear my Falcon Heavy T-shirt out and about town!    Elon Musk may be a bit of an eccentric whack job, but his SpaceX venture is definitely a home run. 

• Like 1